? about 60's Martin 51 bari

bunnyf

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea about what would be a good price on a Martin baritone in very nice condition?

1000 to 1200 smackeroulians.

thanks for info, saw what looks to be a very nice one on ebay but really had no idea about pricing

thanks for info. the martin i've been watching on ebay has been on a while at 1250 wo bids and was just relisted as best offer, but really didn't know what a fair offer would be. with me, unfortunately, it's usually buy high and sell low, so i thought i should check first. thanks for heads up

If it's the one that is for 1200 or best offer, I would be really suspect. Looking at it, there's a major mark (scratch) on the sound board and just beneath the bridge it looks like there may be some lifting; notice the two lines (rippling) going down from the bridge to the lower bout. No close up photos or mention of it being crack free or even inspected by a qualified luthier. Also why the new soft case. The tuners don't look original either and by the marks on the rear of the peghead, probably had geared tuners on at one time. For 1200 I would expect a no marked instrument with original case or at the very least a top of the line hard shell case.

I dunno, if I had to bid and not sure I would, it would be for no more than 700 unless it was proven to be crack free with a straight neck accompanied with a hard shell case,the case looks like a Uke Crazy case. You may want to contact the owner and ask a few questions, esp. where is the original case. It may be okay but...

I bought a vintage Martin bari last year for around 900 I think it was. No marks with original pristine cardboard Martin case. Mine was also Ebay with no sale/ MMStan suggested I contact the owner, which I did. Turned out she was the vintage instrument appraiser from McCabe Music in Santa Monica so I felt confident on what I was buying.

Remember it's vintage so you're taking a chance with what is described and what actually is. Coolkayacker and Nogram know vintage Martins as do others on board who will chime in I'm sure. If you're not up on vintage and what to look for, you may be safer buying from Elderly or other reputable dealers. Or, from here of course.

(Post script) Just went on to look again and another popped up that looked fairly decent, would be worth it to contact the seller if you're interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Marti...276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7115dd0c

Last edited:
that second one was the one i was interested in, but now i'm gunshy about buying vintage. i really don't know enough to fork over, for what to me is serious dough..last expensive uke i did buy was from Elderly.

The second one does look pretty clean. Would be worth the call to ask qeustions. I tell ya, there's nothing like a vintage Martin baritone neck. They are so fast and easy to play; I feel blessed everytime I play mine.. If I were looking, that would be one to look at for sure.

Aloha Bunny,
most martins sound nice.....I've only came across 1-2 bad sounding ones... they are pretty consistant on sound and have nice thin necks for playing..if you want a site for martins just PM me
it's my secret buying place..he he

Top Bottom