Opinions on Koa Martin Concert(new)

Wingnutz

Reaction score
I just played one today and was really impressed. Bright, clear tone and nice playable neck. Does anybody own/has played one of these? I would be interested in your thoughts. I guess you have to like that brighter Koa tone to begin with. Any detriment to it being made in Mexico instead of US? I don't think that bothers me - everything is made in China now anyway.

It's a good uke. It's not collectible and never will be, and Martin purists (me included) would not accept the geared tuners as the way to go on any Martin of any size, but if your purpose is to noodle around and play it an enjoy it, it's as good (better? Meh.) than other concerts in that price range.

Mahalo, Wingnutz.

I think this uke is made in Mexico.....I may be mistaken though..
Model:C1K UkeConstruction:Mahogany Blocks/Applied Dovetail Neck JointBody Size:Concert UkeTop:Solid Hawaiian KoaRosette:Black/White/Black BoltaronTop Bracing Pattern:Concert UkeleleTop Braces:Solid Sitka SpruceBack Material:Solid Hawaiian KoaBack Purfling:noneSide Material:Solid Hawaiian KoaEndpiece:noneEndpiece Inlay:noneBinding:noneTop Inlay Style:noneSide Inlay:noneBack Inlay:noneNeck Material:Select HardwoodNeck Shape:Concert UkeNut Material:White TusqHeadstock:Solid/Uke TaperHeadplate:Solid Hawaiian Koa or Solid Tasmanian BlackwoodHeelcap:noneFingerboard Material:Morado or RosewoodScale Length:15Number of Frets Clear:14Number of Frets Total:17Fingerboard Width at Nut:1-13/32''Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret:1-13/16''Fingerboard Position Inlays:One @ 5th, Two @ 7th, One @ 10th - Whte ABSFingerboard Binding:noneFinish Back & Sides:SatinFinish Top:SatinFinish Neck:SatinBridge Material:Morado or RosewoodBridge Style:Concert Uke StyleBridge String Spacing:1-41/64''Saddle:White TusqTuning Machines:Nickel Open-Geared w/ White ButtonsRecommended Strings:Martin Ukulele (M600)Bridge & End Pins:nonePickguard:noneCase:padded BagInterior Label:paperElectronics:not available as an optionOther Options:Available left-handed at no additional chargeOther Comments:All prices & specifications are subject to change without notice.

coolkayaker is correct, it will never be a collectible - just a players instrument. I would love to have a vintage but I don't think Martin made too many concerts, and they all seem to be 12 fret models and I think I need the extended range. An old tenor would be really cool though.
Apologies, maybe this should have been posted in buying tips forum - I am new around here!

This is on my wall and I am working on a review of the T1K (I think that is what you are talking about in the OP.
SO...
For $495 I would say it is OK, not awesome. It is built well and plays really nice. The koa is not very pretty, just plain and flat. I would buy a Pono acacia over it any day.
It does smell nice, and plays nice, just not WOW.

I played one a few weeks ago. I thought it was very nice. Played easily, sounded really good, intonation was excellent.

Top Bottom