Looser Strings Low G Tenor

Shastastan

Reaction score
I have Low G with Aquila strings on my tenor. It came that way from Mainland except that the low G string is wound. These strings are hard for me to press down all the way on the top fret. I'm wondering if I can get some strings that might have less tension? I contacted Southcoast about this and they recommend two wound strings and "medium" string tension for C linear tuning. I'm not sure which way to go here. Suggestions, Please. thanks.

I like south coast smooth wound low G. If you want unwound try some PHDs. I hope you find a set that works for you.

my first thoughts is you might benefit a lot from a setup and have your action lowered. with a proper setup a wound string on the low G should fret really easy(actually all the strings should).

Get a good setup, then your Uke will play much easier, more beautiful, then explore your string choices.

d

Aloha Stan,
Try fleurocarbons.....Martins, worths clear lights, Oasis, living water strings....

It's not the wound G string that's giving me the problem. Rather both the E and A strings seem pretty taught. The setup was done my Mainland/Uke Republic. I also had the strings lowered some locally. Ironically, I have the same brand on my Mainland concert and it seems easy to play.

I use Savarez Alliance Plain KF Treble Standard Tension guitar strings for the A, E, and C on my tenor. I can buy them as single strings on JustStrings.com.

Your right. Tenor ukulele's have higher string tension than a Concert or Sorprano at GCEA. I detune ALL of my tenors either, 1, 2 or 3 semitones. Detuning 2 semitones is probably the best. I like detuning 3 semitones although its pushing it and the instrument is best if its setup properly for this. Even detuning 1 semitone can work surprisingly well.

Anthony

I just ordered a couple of sets of PHD's, 1 for me and 1 for my wife's uke (also had a setup done on it). We'll see how they work out. Thanks everybody for your input.

Update: Just got our ukes, with new low G PHD strings, today. I wish I had known about these strings a long time ago. What a difference! Probably the most note worthy (no pun intended) thing for me is that it's no long difficult for me to play the Bb chord. I would have never thought that changing strings would help with that problem. Yes, they are really that much easier to depress. I also like the non-wound Low G string. YMMV

Great choice! My favorites strings, used the guitars well before the uke sets came out but the uke sets are the same material, although you get two stringings with guitar sets so either way is a win.. 541, 542, 543 and for low G, Fremont wound polished sqeekless low G. Great combination IMHO.

I use Savarez Alliance Plain KF Treble Standard Tension guitar strings for the A, E, and C on my tenor. I can buy them as single strings on JustStrings.com.

Thanks for your tip on the PHD's. They're great!

P.s. If that's a cavalier, that you're holding, we've got one, too.

Glad you are happy with the strings! It is actually a Border Aussie. I drove all the way up by Monterey and back round trip to get him. His name is Triton.

Aloha Stan,
Like Chuckie said you action on the nut may be high....also thinner guage strings improves playability and comfort....light guage...
many strings have less tension and martins, Oasis, worths light, PHD, living waters etc....

Aloha Stan,
Like Chuckie said you action on the nut may be high....also thinner guage strings improves playability and comfort....light guage...
many strings have less tension and martins, Oasis, worths light, PHD, living waters etc....

I don't think the strings are too high at the nut. I had professional setups done on these ukes. The problem may be my finger strength, but the phd's sure are a lot easier to press than the aquilas were. The phd low g string is not even wound.

+1 on this, I do the same thing (541, 542, 543's) and use the Fremont polished squeekless wound low G. It's a great sound. Or Living Waters with the Fremont, great combinations.

Top Bottom