New headstock veneer?

chris3794

Reaction score
Hey, i'm new to messing with my uke and all that.

the face of my headstock has suffered a bunch of damage over the years and i'd like to make it vanish. would it be reasonable to get a sheet of wood, like ebony, cut it into the shape of my headstock, and glue right on top of the headstock? of course i'll sand away the finish of the original veneer.

is this kind of uke-modification unheard of? let me know you guys, thanks.

You need to figure out if adding a piece of veneer will cause problems with your tuners. It may be necessary to remove the original veneer. No, it is not unheard of. Photos always help in getting answers.

Here is a pic of the headstock. damage is especially noticeable around the g and c string tuners, caused by lousy drill working when i swapped out my tuners last year

20130726_143532-1.jpg

I'd be tempted to repair what you already have. Seal those areas with a couple of coats of Shellac and then fill with something - the modern method seems to be CA.
A very good restorer would make the damage disappear, whether that means filling or grafting in new wood. I understand that might be too expensive. If you are going to do it yourself I really don't see what you have to lose by the fill repair. At worst you will be out by a few drops of Shellac and a tube of CA. If it fails you have your renew option. Of course it all could have been avoided if you had taken the trouble to find out the best way to re-drill those holes. Has to be said. Classic case of a 10 minute job turning into 1 hour +.

Last edited:
Just a crazy idea: could you cut the thin veneer in the shape of a washer that is large enough to cover the original defects, then glue it on. It would look nice with 4 "washer" rings like this.

Top Bottom