Drilling on UPT tuners...

OldePhart

Reaction score
Just thought I'd let everybody know that there is enough "meat" in the shaft of the UPT tuners that you can drill the hole out with a 5/64" bit - making it large enough to comfortably fit tenor strings (this isn't quite large enough to double the C string in an Alohi tenor set, but everything else in the set will double easily). I suspect you could probably go to 3/32" and then be able to double the C string but my 3/32" bit is missing so I can't say for certain.

Actually, if you wanted to be anal about it you could probably drill the C string tuner to 3/32, the E & G string tuners to 5/64, and leave the A string tuner alone and then be able to double loop all the strings in an Alohi tenor set. I drilled only the E & C tuners and there wasn't quite room to double-loop the G string. Fortunately, Alohi strings aren't as slick as fluorocarbon so none of them tended to slip.

If you decide to drill any of the tuners out just go slow - the metal is fairly soft and drills easily. Also, you need to use a folded up bit of fine (320 grit, or so) wet or dry sandpaper to knock the sharp edges off the widened holes to make sure they don't cut strings.

John

Aloha John,
Great idea, You know I cut the end of the strings at a 45 degree angle and use a thin nose pliers to shove the C string the second time through which works with most tuners with thicker strings..
I use a razor for a clean cut..

Last edited:
Before others drill out their tuners they may want to try this method:

I have the new Gotoh UPT tuners on my Kamaka long neck concert. I string them by putting the string through straight up, wrapping it back to the outside and then back underneath the string, then pulling the end up and holding it while tightening the string with the tuner.

After a half a turn or so it is locked by the string wrapping over itself. I make sure the rest of the string wraps around the post spiraling down toward the peghead, which keeps tension on the lock. When tuned to pitch I nip the ends off even with the tops of the tuner posts.

I've used this method for many years with all different types of tuners and strings and have never had any problems with strings slipping or with tuning.

Before others drill out their tuners they may want to try this method:

I have the new Gotoh UPT tuners on my Kamaka long neck concert. I string them by putting the string through straight up, wrapping it back to the outside and then back underneath the string, then pulling the end up and holding it while tightening the string with the tuner.

After a half a turn or so it is locked by the string wrapping over itself. I make sure the rest of the string wraps around the post spiraling down toward the peghead, which keeps tension on the lock. When tuned to pitch I nip the ends off even with the tops of the tuner posts.

I've used this method for many years with all different types of tuners and strings and have never had any problems with strings slipping or with tuning.

Same method I've used for years with no problems at all.

duk

Would you consider posting a photo or a sketch? It's a little hard to visualize. Thanks!

Would you consider posting a photo or a sketch? It's a little hard to visualize. Thanks!

Hi Derek,

It's probably unclear because I didn't have an instrument in my hand to refer to while writing my description. It should have been: "I string them by putting the string through straight up, wrapping it back to the INside and then back underneath the string, then pulling the end up and holding it while tightening the string with the tuner."

Better yet, here is Frank Ford at frets.com showing you how to do it: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing2.html. His example is a steel-string guitar, but the method works the same way on ukulele.

Hi Derek,

It's probably unclear because I didn't have an instrument in my hand to refer to while writing my description. It should have been: "I string them by putting the string through straight up, wrapping it back to the INside and then back underneath the string, then pulling the end up and holding it while tightening the string with the tuner."

Better yet, here is Frank Ford at frets.com showing you how to do it: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing2.html. His example is a steel-string guitar, but the method works the same way on ukulele.

Thanks for the link.

BTW, I bought a set of UPT for my Kamaka longneck and gonna take it to a luthier. Even though it'll have some holes in the back, I am sure it'll totally be worth it to have a balanced instrument. Ours will look very similar after this ;)

Thanks Tim! I get it now. I've had a very thin diameter fluorocarbon string slip right out. I fixed that by doubling back (figure eight) through the hole but I will try this method next time. And that last photo in the link was hilarious!

Top Bottom