Lanikai question

Hobgoblin Steve

Reaction score
So I went out to Manny's Music (menehunenyc would know where this is), and they usually have about 6-10 ukes out on display, mostly Oscar Schmidts, but today I noticed a Lanikai hanging up there. I currently own a Mitchell, and a Kala, the Kala is my Baritone, and the Mitchell is my Tenor. In anycase, this Lanikai (a Lanikai ck-teq) totally surprised me. I played it (the strings were pretty dull, and I can only assume its been there for a bit) and I really really really really liked it. The only thing im wondering is do they make this Tenor without the pickup? Really, I dont need a pickup, and I cant afford it to begin with, but man..I want it :p

anyway, anyone know if it comes without a pickup? and if so, what the approx price is?

yeah see, I liked the cutaway that the one at the shop had. It was also 280$
even still however, I was looking for maybe under 2 :p

Yeah, I think if I was going to get it, Id want it with the cutaway. Ive never played one with a cutaway, and I really liked it. Basically im looking for the one mentioned but with no pickup.

Edit : actually heres a stupid thought : anybody have this uke, and is willing to offer me a deal on it?

Last edited:
yeah I was just looking at that earlier, and I really want it, but Id really have to get rid of my mitchell first, and Ive got a Sony Mylo comm 2 I was looking to sell, so I could probably get it by the summer or so.

Last edited:
I really love the look and feel of the curly koa with cutaway and maple binding. They are laminated in the koa series, but they sure are beautiful. I had a curly koa concert. it was sweet sounding, but, not very loud. Nyguts make a huge difference on those.

So I went out to Manny's Music (menehunenyc would know where this is), and they usually have about 6-10 ukes out on display, mostly Oscar Schmidts, but today I noticed a Lanikai hanging up there. I currently own a Mitchell, and a Kala, the Kala is my Baritone, and the Mitchell is my Tenor. In anycase, this Lanikai (a Lanikai ck-teq) totally surprised me. I played it (the strings were pretty dull, and I can only assume its been there for a bit) and I really really really really liked it. The only thing im wondering is do they make this Tenor without the pickup? Really, I dont need a pickup, and I cant afford it to begin with, but man..I want it :p

anyway, anyone know if it comes without a pickup? and if so, what the approx price is?

What everyone else said is correct, I have the concert version (CK-C) of the model you're looking for which I believe is a CK-T. I know www.ukes.com sell them too, you might want to give them a call or send them an e-mail. For the price I can't fault mine, it feels solid and sounds great.

I bought an acoustic concert-sized Lanikai from this dude and I wouldn't hesitate buying from him again.

I got a blemish Lanikai Lk-s (solid koa, Kanile'a made etc...) from this seller and the deal was great, I'm happy with the uke and all that stuff, but I would offer up one caveat, the instrument I got wasn't set up properly at all. There was buzzing starting at the third fret and the fret ends were a tad sharp on the ends. (could be the fretboard shrunk in the warehouse or they just didn't get a final dress as a second)

Twenty bucks to a local guitar guy sort of addressed things (he did what he could but "it's just a ukulele" he said. Yeah, just a solid koa, handmade in Hawaii ukulele. And this from a guy who works in a shop that sells the exorbitantly priced new Martin 5K's. Geesh...) I ended up cutting another shim out of some carboard and all is peachy.

It's not a super big deal, but you ought to be aware that it might not arrive absolutely ready to play. The deal itself for what you get, though definitely evens out any extra you might put into it..

Yeah I figured thered be minor problems that arnt mentioned, I dont mind that at all. But, I cant get it till I get rid of my Mitchell. One in one out rule yknow.

so wont be getting this auction unless he puts it up at a later date.

Last edited:
I got a blemish Lanikai Lk-s (solid koa, Kanile'a made etc...) from this seller and the deal was great, I'm happy with the uke and all that stuff, but I would offer up one caveat, the instrument I got wasn't set up properly at all. There was buzzing starting at the third fret and the fret ends were a tad sharp on the ends. (could be the fretboard shrunk in the warehouse or they just didn't get a final dress as a second)

Twenty bucks to a local guitar guy sort of addressed things (he did what he could but "it's just a ukulele" he said. Yeah, just a solid koa, handmade in Hawaii ukulele. And this from a guy who works in a shop that sells the exorbitantly priced new Martin 5K's. Geesh...) I ended up cutting another shim out of some carboard and all is peachy.

It's not a super big deal, but you ought to be aware that it might not arrive absolutely ready to play. The deal itself for what you get, though definitely evens out any extra you might put into it..

Good points there. Mine came with a bunch of small finish blemishes and the saddle is raised too high to one side! Which is really funny considering the glue-spots around the edges of the bridge! It almost looks as if someone had gone to the trouble of replacing the bridge, was REALLY careless with the glue and then just said, "Screw it" before they got to adjusting the saddle, stamped a reject mark on it and called Maurey, "Hey, we got another reject for ya!"

So yes, buyer-beware these ARE blemished instruments and they are NOT set-up prior to shipping. Its a totally different situation than buying from such legends of internet ukulele-buying as MusicGuyMic. From MGM, you're not gonna have to worry about your saddle being a foot higher at one end, or any of that nonsense. But it was a REALLY great price and I figured it would need some work, AND I WAS RIGHT!

As for the CK-TEQ, Maurey's had those in the past and I'm pretty sure he'll have something comparable in the future.

I played this exact same uke on 12/29 and I was slightly surprised by the sound of it. I thought the strings sounded good but I have just started with the aquillas. Manny's had a great ukulele section for a mainland store I thought. All the ukes were in tune that I picked up which is rare (menehunenyc-did you do this?). I am also interested in getting a Lanikai uke now but I don't need the pick-up either. Dr. Cluck on Ebay sales the lanikai koa with out pick-ups but not sure of the price. Ebay is blocked at work so can't check.

If you go across the street to the Ash something music store there is a martin soprano with a nice crack you might be able to score a sweet deal on.

yeah I was just looking at that earlier, and I really want it, but Id really have to get rid of my mitchell first, and Ive got a Sony Mylo comm 2 I was looking to sell, so I could probably get it by the summer or so.

Hobgoblin your mitchell is it a spruce top. My wife fell in love with a mitchell spruce top concert I played at the guys house. He had it strung with Kala reds. She hinted she liked it so I might be able to take it off your hands. PM me if interested.

actually I tuned em :p Yes its spruce will PM. the Samash across the street is terrible, every time I go in they've got one or two ukes up, and the employees are assholes. I bought both of my ukes from GC on 14th st (union sq), and Ive never had a problem with them ever. (although Ive spent alot of money there and im considered a "Valued customer" so that could be why [and most everyone in the store knows me on a first name basis])

Top Bottom