May have finally found the "keeper" strings for my KoAloha longneck soprano

OldePhart

Reaction score
I had tried Ko'Olau Alohi strings on my longneck soprano for a while because the intonation was better than with medium fluorocarbon strings, and the uke doesn't like the heavy fluorocarbon strings that I use on most of my ukes (pinched the sound right down to nothing when I tried it).

Today at lunch I put on some Alohi strings again, but this time a tenor set. These I really like. Not quite as chimey as the fluorocarbon but a good full sound and nice ring, better feel (I like more tension) and intonation, and it didn't pinch the sound like heavy fluorocarbon strings did.

John

Aloha John,
Alohi is my favorite back up strings...have you tried the T2 it's basically the same string compound but thinner....

Aloha John,
Alohi is my favorite back up strings...have you tried the T2 it's basically the same string compound but thinner....

Hi Stan. Haven't tried the T2 but I'm actually looking for higher tension so I probably wouldn't like them as much as the Alohi...

John

Hi Stan. Haven't tried the T2 but I'm actually looking for higher tension so I probably wouldn't like them as much as the Alohi...

John
John, I was under the impression that the t2 strings are high tension??? Maybe not. But that iswhat I thought.

Finding the right strings for the right uke is a revelation! Thanks for sharing John.

I am a little worried whether the lightly built Koaloha soprano can handle the higher tension.

That was the problem - it definitely can't handle the much higher tension of the strings I really like - the heavy fluorocarbon. That pinched the sound right down so it was obvious there was a problem. These strings are higher tension but not what I would call really high tension - being tenor strings on a 2" shorter scale they feel something like wimpy tenor strings. Also, I tuned them up to D to help the strings settle in and even up there it wasn't enough tension to clamp the sound down like the heavy fluorocarbon strings did.

The tension isn't high enough to make me concerned about damaging the top or the structure but I'm still a little bit concerned mostly because of the tiny contact area of the KoAloha bridge - I'm hoping they used a good modern glue and not hide glue. :) The next time I change strings I will probably drill tiny holes at the bottom of the bridge slots and go with string-through to put the stress on the bridge plate instead of the bridge. I did that on one of my sopranos and it worked quite well.

The bottom line for me though is that an instrument is meant to be used - and in my house it's only going to get used if I think it's performing as best it can and as best I can make use of. In short - 'tis better to have played and disintegrated than never to have played at all!

John

When I was in Hawai'i last month I bought a KoAloha soprano (not a longneck.) I also went on a tour of their factory. They were really great people and seemed to really want a personal relationship with the people who end up playing their handiwork. I'm sure if you emailed then (info@koaloha.com) they'd tell you what glue they use.
I talked their Asst VP for about 10 minutes about strings and humidifiers and such. He gave me his card and said to email him personally if I thought of any more questions. If you don't get a response from the general email, PM me and I'll give you his email.
I've thought about restringing my KoAloha with higher tension strings but was on the fence about it since I'm not really unhappy with the stock Worth CM's. Based on your experience I probably won't bother.

When I was in Hawai'i last month I bought a KoAloha soprano (not a longneck.) I also went on a tour of their factory. They were really great people and seemed to really want a personal relationship with the people who end up playing their handiwork. I'm sure if you emailed then (info@koaloha.com) they'd tell you what glue they use.
I talked their Asst VP for about 10 minutes about strings and humidifiers and such. He gave me his card and said to email him personally if I thought of any more questions. If you don't get a response from the general email, PM me and I'll give you his email.
I've thought about restringing my KoAloha with higher tension strings but was on the fence about it since I'm not really unhappy with the stock Worth CM's. Based on your experience I probably won't bother.

Thanks J-Peg, I might do that if I think of it. I'll probably just drill for string-through, though. I think eventually all of my ukes with slotted bridges are going to get drilled - no more worry about the knots chipping the bridge, etc. I'm pretty careful and I already have a chip out of the bridge on my Kiwaya longneck from where the knot chipped the bridge as I was removing a string.

Oh, BTW, speaking of bridge slots, if anybody is thinking about putting tenor strings on the KoAloha longneck soprano be advised you will need to use some fine sandpaper to widen the C-string bridge slot just slightly, and may also need to widen the C and/or E nut slots slightly.

John

Top Bottom