What's more common - high G or low G tuning on a Soprano

UkeKiddinMe

Reaction score
The soprano I have came with strings for high G tuning.
I was a little surprised, but then again, I know nuttin about Soprano ukes.

Is high G tuning the norm? If yes, why?

I immediately ordered a coupla sets of low G nylguts to put on the uke.
It sounds great now, but I know it will match the sound I want more when
there is a low G on there.

?

High G is by far the most common tuning for soprano. It is traditional. It gives an overall closer harmony, and higher pitch strumming. Also strums sound more alike when strummed upward and downward than on a non-re-entrant instrument such as the guitar, which gives ukulele strumming its distinctive sound.

Last edited:
Yep, high G. I have one low-G soprano - I bought in in the marketplace and it came to me that way. I love it, but when I took it to my uke class it sounded weird when played with the other students' high-G sopranos. It's a Mya-Moe, so I don't think it was the instrument! Or maybe it was me!

Low g is okay on soprano but less balanced than on a tenor where the body has more volume. Just for grins I set one of my longneck sopranos up with a low g. I think I said something like "it's not terrible but next time I change strings it will be back to a high-g" - and that's exactly what happened. Of course, you have to keep in mind that I am not much of a fan of low-g tenors, either... :)

John

Another issue is that many soprano players dislike using wound strings, due to the scratchy sound when sliding, and perhaps the general wear and tear they bring, and non-wound low strings haven't been real popular with a lot of players either.

Ive messed around with the LowG on my soprano, its alright... But i believe the Soprano should be tuned D6, makes it much more vocal. I keep the LowG on one Concert, dont have a Tenor so it does the trick.

High G, because the efficiency of the low g string decreases as the scale length decreases according to Southcoast. It is most efficient on a baritone uke, then tenor, etc.

Low G on a soprano is a very sorry sound. The scale length is too short for a big fat ugly low G string. The body size is too small to get any kind of quality sound. It should be against the law, period.

Wow, some really strong feelings, lol... I personally prefer low G on tenors—but the beauty of music is in the ear of the beholder, and they're just strings after all, so put them on and decide for yourself. Your ears are unique, and so is your instrument, so your opinion is the one that counts. :)

In my opinion, low G only sounds good on a tenor or baritone.,and especially when fingerpicked.

IMHO - low G works best on a tenor. Didn't IZ do that? Best to keep two tenors around though: one with reentrant tuning and one with low G. hehe

Petey

Definitely an awful mismatch of tones to slap a Low G on a soprano scale uke. About as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. :p

Definitely an awful mismatch of tones to slap a Low G on a soprano scale uke. About as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. :p

Well I do agree almost all sopranos are tuned high G.....but do you really want to tell Ohta-san that his low g soprano is a awful mismatch and should never be on a soprano.......

Well I do agree almost all sopranos are tuned high G.....but do you really want to tell Ohta-san that his low g soprano is a awful mismatch and should never be on a soprano.......

he he...na Mike, I'll leave that to you. :)

Usually I would say no to all sopranos with a low G.... the only uke I thought is sounded pretty good was set up with a G and C wound strings and it sounded pretty good...I know
terry brown teaches with low G to the kids too.. and this older Koalana soprano did surprise me.....way better and not even close when I bought a kamaka soprano with a low G string....

MGM Mike -- if one was to try the uncommon low G on a soprano, like Ohta-San, what strings would you recommend? Thank you.

Top Bottom