CAUTION: Edsel Murphy lurks !

bariukish

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I highly recommend that every time you change strings that you check the tuner screws. A few weeks ago while restringing my Pono Pro- classic baritone, a tuner gear popped off. I found the gear but, according to Murphy's law, the screw flew to a secret location in my garage and refused to be found. I borrowed one off a seldom played instrument and got it back in service. I backed off string tension an all strings, tested the other screws and found 2 more that were loose.

Yesterday I re-strung my Kala and found 2 gear screws that needed tightening and about half of the tiny mounting screws needed tightening. CAUTION : be careful not to strip the fragile threads in the wood or you're in for a few hrs. of repair and finishing.

Does anyone know the mounting and gear screw sizes for the Kala (Grover) and Pono(??) tuners? Any help is sincerely appreciated.

...Yesterday I re-strung my Kala and found 2 gear screws that needed tightening and about half of the tiny mounting screws needed tightening. CAUTION : be careful not to strip the fragile threads in the wood or you're in for a few hrs. of repair and finishing.

You can toughen up the threads in wood by removing the screws and putting in a tiny drop or two of thin CA glue. Give it several minutes to penetrate and harden, and make sure you use fresh glue (I know the glue claims to be "instant" but what that usually means is that if you don't have something in exactly the right place it will bond instantly, otherwise it will take a few moments...)

If you've actually hogged out the wood already take a small wooden toothpick and push it into the hole and cut it off flush with the wood. I use a drop of thin CA glue then to settle it, then drill a tiny pilot hole and reinstall the screw.

No sanding or refinishing needed with either of the above techniques...

John

I used an old ammo box to carry extra cables, strings, batteries, tools, etc., to gigs. I also had a box of toothpicks in there. The guitar player in a band we were playing with saw them in there and laughed. A few minutes later his strap pin came out of his only guitar. I put a couple of drops of crazy glue inside the stripped hole, shoved a couple of toothpicks in, and screwed the strap pin back in. He didn't think it was dumb that I carried them around with me after that.

Top Bottom