On the market for a new uke.

Ukeplayer2013

Reaction score
Can remove if not in the right category.

I now have been playing the ukulele for a month now so.:cool:

I'm soon to be on the market for a new uke. I'm trying UU to see if someone has a ukulele for roughly around 80$-100$. Trying here first to see if there are better chances to get something close or better starting from a kala ka - c.

If a possibility to be shipped to Canada?

Thanks all!

You could try craigslist. If you can afford a little more, Mainland Music has some amazing ukes. I paid $300 for my Kala gace and it is the best $$ I have spent. No regrets. Save up and buy something better. Good luck

Yes save up a hundred or so and you will get a way better uke....no sense getting one close to the level you got now... I know you are all excited and all, maybe change
the strings on your uke now and you it will play better and sound a bit nice and it will carry over until you get your new uke.... martin fleuro stings, Oasis, southcoast...

If you want just 1 step up in quality check out butler music on eBay. They are a reputable seller of ukes and have lots of lanikais and kalas and similar quality. They usually have small blemishes that don't affect play and in the $100 range. They have all sizes.

If you want a much better instrument, then I would definitely agree that waiting and saving to the $300 mark will make a big difference.

You can learn a heck of a lot on your makala dolphin and get a better idea of what you want with just a little more experience. I also highly agree that changing to a better quality set of strings can make a huge difference even on a beginner uke.

Good luck! I know how you feel though and got my second uke within a month of my first too :)

camp out on craigslist for something thats not a ripoff. hopefully you are getting good enough to start to understand what is lacking in your dolphin.

@bnolsen. Dolphin is lacking frets ;) lol. Nothing wrong with it. I can't play the UU tutorial of dead or alive by bon Jovi. Plus my daughter wants her own ukulele and wants to learn so it's going to be mine and hers. I really like the ukulele and to expand my playing. concert size will be good for me for a little while. Dolphins are great Ukelele's but I'm improving well enough to step up a few bucks and get something (like the kala ka - c) . I like frets, the more there are, the more fun it will be. Hehe! When I tried the kala I fell in love with it.

@bnolsen. Dolphin is lacking frets ;) lol. Nothing wrong with it. I can't play the UU tutorial of dead or alive by bon Jovi. Plus my daughter wants her own ukulele and wants to learn so it's going to be mine and hers. I really like the ukulele and to expand my playing. concert size will be good for me for a little while. Dolphins are great Ukelele's but I'm improving well enough to step up a few bucks and get something (like the kala ka - c) . I like frets, the more there are, the more fun it will be. Hehe! When I tried the kala I fell in love with it.

I guess I got a really bad lemon from one of the "highly reputable" companies that do setup. Since I got it a month after I started playing it took me another month or so to figure out how really really really bad it was. I've since moved the bridge and have gotten the intonation somewhat better but its still the worst uke I own by far. My son's orange mahalo is far superior even. As someone mentioned the ebay butler lanikai deals are actually pretty good if you know what to look for in case they do send you one that's marginal. Its easy to search for "lanikai gambler special" but that doesn't get you the ones they've already inspected.

I got 95$ in my wallet right now just waiting to be used but I need to save up a few more $$ lol! I would like to buy something locally so I don't have to wait. lol.. 1-2 weeks is sufficient to wait for what I am getting. Unless someone here in the UU forums got something ;)

Top Bottom