Sound sample of my new Pono tenor...

Bob Bledsoe

Reaction score
As promised, here's a bit on my new Pono. I'm very happy with it.

I wish I hadn't moved the mic further away. I thought it was picking up too hot, but through my laptop speakers it's not as loud as I expected.

Anyway, it still gives a good sense of the tone. Let me know what ya think!

;)

Aloha Bob...
that was very nice...I liked your review and your Pono looks and sounds amazing...
I was the guy you spoke with at HMS last week...haha

hope to see you on Oahu at The Ukulele Site soon...

Bob...sweet ukulele. I had more than one Pono, and I agree with all your great words. Fit,finish, play-ability, etc., A+. Mine, too, were not the loudest. I love gloss, but the gloss on those Ponos is thick as pancake syrup--maybe a factor.

Wondering if you've done any stand-up or comedy in a while? I love Frank Strum, Hot Karate. God, they're all funny as hell.

I'm getting into Bill Burr lately. The guy's a side-splitter, as I'm sure you know.

I hope your comedy is going full-tilt gonzo, because if Hollywood can make a stinker like Grown-Ups 2 with all those has-beens, they certainly need to turn the spotlight onto someone fresh like you. And Bill Burr, of course.

CHeers, Bob. Steve

(if anyone doesn't know what I'm speaking of, hit Bob's signature link under TheProgramShow. Bob, youtube is making original programming...you deserve a show like The KIng of Queens, or Everybody Loves Raymond. But without all the mushy stuff. Do we need to start a petition or something?)

Last edited:
Aloha Bob...
that was very nice...I liked your review and your Pono looks and sounds amazing...
I was the guy you spoke with at HMS last week...haha

hope to see you on Oahu at The Ukulele Site soon...

Thanks for the help! You and Mike steered me right... My goal is to be on Oahu soon. You all will definitely see me when that happens. Cheers!

Bob...sweet ukulele. I had more than one Pono, and I agree with all your great words. Fit,finish, play-ability, etc., A+. Mine, too, were not the loudest. I love gloss, but the gloss on those Ponos is thick as pancake syrup--maybe a factor.

Wondering if you've done any stand-up or comedy in a while? I love Frank Strum, Hot Karate. God, they're all funny as hell.

I'm getting into Bill Burr lately. The guy's a side-splitter, as I'm sure you know.

I hope your comedy is going full-tilt gonzo, because if Hollywood can make a stinker like Grown-Ups 2 with all those has-beens, they certainly need to turn the spotlight onto someone fresh like you. And Bill Burr, of course.

CHeers, Bob. Steve

(if anyone doesn't know what I'm speaking of, hit Bob's signature link under TheProgramShow. Bob, youtube is making original programming...you deserve a show like The KIng of Queens, or Everybody Loves Raymond. But without all the mushy stuff. Do we need to start a petition or something?)

Thanks Steve! Nice of you to say... I actually haven't been doing much standup lately and I miss it. I'm producing a new show on Food Network called "The Shed" so I haven't had time to do any performing of my own for several months. We just finished filming the first season of that show, so I'm back in LA and will soon get back to doing standup and acting. I did enjoy being a producer though and will probably do more of that if asked to... I'll do a separate thread in the TV section about it, but "The Shed" premiers August 5th!

As for Hot Karate, I'm in the middle of writing a full length feature film for that character. Hoping to turn that short film into something bigger and better. We'll see how the script comes out I guess...

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind words!

Hey Bob

I just got a new Uke built by Jason Wolverton....nice!

have you worked with him...he does music/scores for the Food network,,,etc
he lives in Laguna Beach?

Bob, thank you for the video. That's a very sweet sound!

I'm thinking of buying a Pono as well; the Pono MTD-E.

Do you know the model of your Pono? Thanks.

Hey Bob

I just got a new Uke built by Jason Wolverton....nice!

have you worked with him...he does music/scores for the Food network,,,etc
he lives in Laguna Beach?

I haven't worked with him - I'll have to look up is ukes though!

Bob, thank you for the video. That's a very sweet sound!

I'm thinking of buying a Pono as well; the Pono MTD-E.

Do you know the model of your Pono? Thanks.

Thanks! Pono is a great choice. Mine is this model: http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-atdc-c-gloss-acacia-tenor-cutaway-w-cedar-top.html

That's a beautiful uke and it sounds great! Did HMS install the strap buttons for you?

That's a beautiful uke and it sounds great! Did HMS install the strap buttons for you?

Thanks Steedy! Yeah HMS put in those strap buttons for me. I don't know how often I'll use a strap but I wanted the option and I don't like the sound hole straps.

ok Bob... you've officially restarted my UAS.. My first tenor was a Pono Mahog... regret that I sold it. I might have to let one of my brood go to finance another Pono.. loved the sound and ease of play. Good luck with 'The Shed'.. have seen the promos. Being in Texas, if it's a show about BBQ, we're usually right there with it... cheers.

Bob--I'll be on the lookout for "The Shed". Do form another thread and post a promo video when you have one. All the best with that.

And I think "Hot Karate" is a great concept. More "edgy" than, say, Austin Powers. The public LOVES underdog characters that are confident, yet self-deprecating. The main character of a full-length novel I'm writing has those same characteristics.

Godspeed to you. And if you ever need a writing "boost"--a kick in the pants--just let me know. lol

ok Bob... you've officially restarted my UAS.. My first tenor was a Pono Mahog... regret that I sold it. I might have to let one of my brood go to finance another Pono.. loved the sound and ease of play. Good luck with 'The Shed'.. have seen the promos. Being in Texas, if it's a show about BBQ, we're usually right there with it... cheers.

I keep hearing that people sell and then regret selling their Ponos. I'm tempted to sell this one just to be in that club... But I'll probably keep it forever :D
My second favorite BBQ place in the world is a little joint in Dallas. Texas BBQ is great!

Bob--I'll be on the lookout for "The Shed". Do form another thread and post a promo video when you have one. All the best with that.

And I think "Hot Karate" is a great concept. More "edgy" than, say, Austin Powers. The public LOVES underdog characters that are confident, yet self-deprecating. The main character of a full-length novel I'm writing has those same characteristics.

Godspeed to you. And if you ever need a writing "boost"--a kick in the pants--just let me know. lol

Yes, watching a character arrogantly fail always makes me laugh... Very cool that you're writing a novel Steve! I'd like to hear more about it. Are we connected on Facebook?

Thanks for the review... It really sounds great!

Thanks caukulele! Glad you liked it.

Beautiful! A very nice sounding Uke. I just ordered a Kala Tenor Mahogany KA-TG from HMS. Hoping to have it before the end of the week. Long ways to travel from Hawaii to Mass. My first tenor so I am anxious. Different model but your review swung me over. Hopefully I can get a solid wood uke someday too.

Beautiful! A very nice sounding Uke. I just ordered a Kala Tenor Mahogany KA-TG from HMS. Hoping to have it before the end of the week. Long ways to travel from Hawaii to Mass. My first tenor so I am anxious. Different model but your review swung me over. Hopefully I can get a solid wood uke someday too.

Glad you liked the review! I'm sure you'll love your Kala. My first uke was a mahogany Kala concert. I play the Pono more now but still love the Kala.

Yes, watching a character arrogantly fail always makes me laugh... Very cool that you're writing a novel Steve! I'd like to hear more about it. Are we connected on Facebook?

Hi, Robert. Thanks for the invitation. Unfortunately, I don't do Facebook. It would blow my cover in the witness protection program something awful. LOL I sure wish we lived closer. I bet we'd get along swimmingly.

Steve

Hi, Robert. Thanks for the invitation. Unfortunately, I don't do Facebook. It would blow my cover in the witness protection program something awful. LOL I sure wish we lived closer. I bet we'd get along swimmingly.

Steve

I'm terrible at keeping my identity a secret. You and Mystery Man Stan are much better at it... I should have started by coming up with a more clever user name I guess.
I'll let you know if I make it out to your neck of the woods!

Sounds good Bob. I'm confused by the "wider fingerboard" comment though. All the Pono tenors that had specs say they have 1-3/8" necks. Your particular model didn't have the specs on the HMS site but it seems odd it would be the only model in the line different. I've heard others mention the thickness of Pono necks but you are clearly talking about room on the fretboard. Is it indeed wider?

Last edited:
Sounds good Bob. I'm confused by the "wider fingerboard" comment though. All the Pono tenors that had specs say they have 1-3/8" necks. Your particular model didn't have the specs on the HMS site but it seems odd it would be the only model in the line different. I've heard others mention the thickness of Pono necks but you are clearly talking about room on the fretboard. Is it indeed wider?

Yeah, the nut is still 1-3/8" on a Pono but the fretboard and saddle are wider. That 1-3/8" measurement refers to just the nut, not the neck or fretboard. I don't have exact measurements but I just compared mine to my friend's Cordoba tenor. The neck and saddle are are definitely wider and the string spacing on the saddle is wider than it is at the nut. The strings come off the nut in the same spot as the Cordoba because they're both 1-3/8", but as the strings head up towards the saddle, they spread out. The incremental difference isn't noticeable when playing high or low on the fretboard but you definitely notice that you have more room for your fingers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom