Fellow programmers wanted for ukulele aggregation site.

ShawnMilo

Reaction score
Short version:

If you've even been frustrated searching for uke information, continue reading. If you're a developer and interested, please contact me. If not, please read anyway and e-mail me with your wish-list of features.

Longer version:

I'm a long-time programmer and a (so far) short-time ukulele player. One thing that frustrates me as a geek is the difficulty in finding good uke reviews and other information.

I've decided to create a new site that lets people easily search for ukuleles. The site itself will not be commercial; I won't sell any products. The site will curate content from other sites (Amazon, HMS, YouTube, etc.) and give people a single point to search for information and be redirected to those sources.

The point isn't to scrape and re-publish other sites' content -- it's to index it all in one place and redirect users to the original source material. This site isn't intended to compete with any existing site, but to augment them all.

There aren't many "ukulele only" sites. Other, more general music sites have extremely limited search capabilities. The best site, theukulelesite.com, is great but its content is pretty bad -- many ukuleles are miscategorized and have incorrect information. For example, there are sopranos which will come up during a search by size for "tenor," and much of the content in item descriptions has been copy/pasted from another product and is often incorrect for the newer item.

So, I'm making a new site that aims to tidy up the jumble that's out there. I'll be doing this myself, and I'm fully capable of doing so, but if anyone else with programming skill is interested then I'd like to chat and see if we can get things rolling even faster and with more features.

All the work will be done with Python on Linux. The database(s) will probably be Redis and PostgreSQL, but that may change as the design takes shape. If you're interested, contact me at shawn@milochik.com.

When the site is live (even if it's only in beta) it will be announced on this forum.

Shawn

Wish I could help. would love to see this (and I have to admit, it serves me as well as a content provider in this space)
If need help on where to look for reviews please shoot me a line and I can help in that way at least.

Thanks for the reply. Even if you want to throw some suggestions on the wish list that would be cool.

I took a look at your site, and I think a great feature would be a combined RSS feed from various ukulele-related blogs that could be displayed in a sidebar or something.

Top Bottom