Questions re: my vintage Martin 2M please.

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
IMG_2805_zps9cff771b.jpgIMG_2821_zps4708de2b.jpgIMG_2811_zps1e30c4a3.jpgIMG_2819_zps13a037c3.jpg

I got this Martin 2M on the Bay.

Q1: does this look like a 1940s model, as it was listed? It looks glossy (overspray?), and almost too pristine to be true. Newer?

Q2: do these look like original tuners?

It's okay to tell me if you think I got boned.

Thanks.

I am not a Martin expert, but I think I know enough to answer your questions...

A1: My guess would be that it is a 40's - 50's uke, and I do think it has been over-sprayed at some point. It is much glossier than my friend's pristine 2M.

A2: I think they are the original tuners. I have the same tuners on my Style 0, and I date mine to about the the same time.

I don't think you got boned! It is a very pretty ukulele! Do you enjoy it? That's all that matters.

Last edited:
Looks like a 50's model to me. Hard to tell about the finish from the photos. I have seen this type of tuner on some Martins, mostly later models before they quit making them.

Last edited:
I am looking at the high crown of this Martin and tuners and it is in the 50's....it could have been refinished too...authorized luthiers can get them only.
Let me ask you, the stamp inside...does it have made in USA too?

Thanks so much, Ryan, Duane and Stan. I knew you'd have some answers.

Stan, I don;t have it yet, so don't know about the stamp (it's not shown fully in the photos--there is a Martin stamp, just can't see if it says Made In USA.). I'll let you know when it gets here. What do you mean "authorized luthiers can get them only" please?

IMG_2796_zps3b6ef95e.jpgIMG_2797_zps4e88b4de.jpg

Last edited:
Steve:

The tuners are Waverly 2014, used on Style 2 sopranos beginning in 1949. Martin used them for the duration from that time on. Stan is asking about the inside hot stamp because Martin added "Made in USA" underneath the earlier hot stamp around 1960.

It's hard to determine from the pictures whether it has been oversprayed. When the finish is scratched or dinged, it turns white. When an instrument is oversprayed the new finish amalgamates with the old finish and restores the gloss to the finish. If you see any deeper scratches or dings that are glossy, that could be an indication of overspraying.

The uke appears to have the brighter gold headstock decal. Martin also used a darker gold decal. According to my source (Tom Walsh's new Martin ukulele book), it is uncertain when either was used.

I don't think you got "boned." I have a Style 2 from the same period and it is one of my favorite players, probably the warmest sounding Martin I have. If yours sounds as good and plays as well as mine, you will forget all about overspraying, dating, and the like.

Howard

I had a style 2 that was 1950's and this one looks a lot like it....a lovely instrument!!

Hi, ukegirl. Thanks for the input and comparison to what you had. Based on what you and others are saying--and in contra-distinction to what the eBay ad said--this is most likely a 1950's style 2M. It's good to know that.

Howard...your post educated me in a couple of important ways. About the decal, about the Made in USA (I'll have to study those things when it gets here) and especially about the Waverly 2014 tuners used from 1949 onward, and the overspray scratches. I'l check out those scratches (from the photos they do appear white, meaning no overspray, presumably). Your posts always have some "pearls" of wisdom, and this one is no exception. Thank you.

Last edited:
Steve:

The tuners are Waverly 2014, used on Style 2 sopranos beginning in 1949. Martin used them for the duration from that time on. Stan is asking about the inside hot stamp because Martin added "Made in USA" underneath the earlier hot stamp around 1960.

It's hard to determine from the pictures whether it has been oversprayed. When the finish is scratched or dinged, it turns white. When an instrument is oversprayed the new finish amalgamates with the old finish and restores the gloss to the finish. If you see any deeper scratches or dings that are glossy, that could be an indication of overspraying.

The uke appears to have the brighter gold headstock decal. Martin also used a darker gold decal. According to my source (Tom Walsh's new Martin ukulele book), it is uncertain when either was used.

I don't think you got "boned." I have a Style 2 from the same period and it is one of my favorite players, probably the warmest sounding Martin I have. If yours sounds as good and plays as well as mine, you will forget all about overspraying, dating, and the like.

Howard

I appreciate all the replies. The uke arrived today. Heaven!!

It does not appear oversprayed in person, and based on what Howard told me, it has some scratches that are white. So, that means not oversprayed, most likely original finish.

It does not say Made In USA in the soundhole--just the standard Martin stamp with Nazareth, PA under it. So, that means pre-1960 (or thereabouts). If the tuners are Waverly 2014, then it's after 1949, so, all-in-all, this appears to be a 1950s Martin Style 2M. Its' lovely. No cracks, and plays well, and looks almost new.

I doubt I'd ever buy a 3M, 3K or 5K. And I do already have a 3C (cherry 2012). I have no koa Martins, like a 2k. Will be looking, but only if a deal.

Anyhow, again, I really appreciate everyone chiming in and helping out. Thanks, all.

Great to hear it, and I am really glad you are happy with your uke! Enjoy my friend!

Top Bottom