I met Kimo!

Gerry M

Reaction score
There is a Ukulele festival happening this weekend and my wife and I drove up to Parksville, BC, two days ago to see a two-hour performance associated with the festival on the beach.

I sat next to a rather distinguished looking man who I suspected might be part of the festivities and had a pleasent chat about my problems in starting out on the ukulele about six weeks ago.

Then the two performers called him up to the stage to perform for the last hour and it turned out to be Kimo Hussey. I had no idea who he was, but boy could he play! Made it seem effortless.

I googled him when I got back and gather he is a man of some importance in Hawaii (http://kimohussey.com/).

P25-07-13_16.14.jpg

That's Kimo in the white shorts. His bio says he started to play at five years old - that would probably explain the effortless part!

I feel honored to have met him...

Kimo *is* a truly nice guy (and "distinguished looking" to boot!). His passion for ukulele players of all abilities (especially newer players) is warm and authentic. If you ever have a chance to take a workshop (or two, or three, or a whole week) with him, you'll definitely not regret it. Plus, I really appreciate his quiet, gentle teaching style. It makes the student's brain relax and really pay attention.

I love his simple but elegant playing style and only wish I could study with him. Congrats

Top Bottom