Repair advise please

Robert Renick

Reaction score
Have not seen one quite like this before, the instrument is a Kala, nothing fancy, the customer would just like it playable again. The cracks in the ribs close pretty nicely by pulling on the neck, so I have considered CA from the inside and holding it in place. From there remove the neck and FB extension from the body, clean and replace. If there is a way to do this without removing the FB extension, I would love to hear it.
Any advise on this repair is welcome,
Thanks,
Rob

Jean's uke 007.jpgJean's uke 009.jpg

Remove the Neck first. I don't really see the advantage of gluing with it on. Forget CA for these types of repairs. It should be glued with HHG and some type of reinforcing patch on the inside. Traditionally that would have been Linen but you can use a number of things. HHG is about the most invisible glue line and of course you can have multiple attempts. In fact it only gets stronger once the wood has been sized. With CA you have one attempt, then you are left with removing the stuff that has sealed the wood or gluing CA on to CA.

Pulling on the neck just closes the crack really well, not sure I would be able to clamp it closed as well without the neck. HHG it is. Thanks.

As has already been stated, you have to remove the neck and fingerboard from the body to do a proper repair. If the neck block is cracked, you have a major problem and just gluing the sides back together is like putting a band-aid on a severed arm. Just sticking a bunch of glue into all the cracks and under the neck heel is only cosmetic and it won't last. I see this kind of amateur repair done all the time, and most of the time I have to undo the bad repairs and start over and it costs the customer more. It is much better to get it done right the first time. It is an import so maybe you should just chuck it get another one. The repairs will probably cost a lot more then what it originally cost anyway.

Last edited:
I find repairs on instruments of this quality to be perfect for me. I have done a decent amount of repair work, but am no expert. So these work well for experience. I always inform the customer of this, and she is grateful that her uke will be useful again without costing a fortune or needing to replace it. Hopefully I can keep it to not much more then an hour's work. I also informed the customer that I would post the repair here for additional advise. Thanks, I will work on this today.

Glue squirt plus clamp sounds like an hour, but ... I'd be surprised to see cracking like that if the neck block were still sound.

Why not look inside at the block while you waggle the neck. Then at least, if the block is moving around, you'll know not to waste your time.

I got the neck off, the heel block is fine, just no longer attached to the ribs. I worked some epoxy into that mess, hopefully tomorrow I can get the neck to sit flat and glue in place. The Fb is not laying flat, seems it was all glued under tension. I have about an hour and a half in it now.

Top Bottom