Suggestions for Low G unwound string options.

Contrails

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I came back from a trip and found my Pono Tenor pop it's low G string. They were original strings that came with the uke from HMS. I have to say I am quite surprise it popped so fast as I just got the uke a few months ago. Right now I don't have a spare set to replace them. Is it possible to use a concert set temporarily?

I am looking for a non wound low G. Any suggestions guys? I am thinking of living waters and Worths. I am not too familiar with string options so what else should I consider? Does Martin have a low G?

Thank you all
Ryan

The Worth one is great. But don't get the extra fat type. It really is a thudder. The medium gauge is my pick.

Aquila reds are always a good choice...Atleast they are for my baritone.

Southcoast choices will give you a variety of sounds, feel and tensions. Highly recommend you look at them.

I have a Southcoast low G set on my MP. I really like how they bring out the tonal range on the cedar/mango wood combo. My Pono is acacia and, after several trys with a range of other manufacturers, I settled in with Living Water low G strings and have not looked back. In addition to the smooth and balanced tone, the strings just feel great on my fingers.

Thanks for all the replies. I took out my busted low G string and for the fun of it put it on a cheap no brand soprano just to see how its like on a sop. It snapped right at the top near the nut so it was long enough to 'salvage'.

I will go with living Waters strings as my first choice. I think i will try out south coast as well. Thank you for all your inputs.

Happy uking!

(At the risk of being controversial...)

I would *not* get an unwound low G for a tenor. They sound achingly dull and feel relatively flabby. (Kind of like going for a jog in dress loafers :)

I understand why they're desired, since wound G strings usually squeak, don't feel as smooth and lack balance between it and the unwound strings.

But I solved these issues once I discovered the Fremont Low G. They do not squeak at all. Really! (You can't make them squeak no matter how hard you try.) They feel very smooth and are a little less bright than most other wound strings, so blend well with the unwound strings.

You can order them from Hawaii Music Supply www.theukulelesite.com.

I would *not* get an unwound low G for a tenor. They sound achingly dull and feel relatively flabby. (Kind of like going for a jog in dress loafers :)

I understand why they're desired, since wound G strings usually squeak, don't feel as smooth and lack balance between it and the unwound strings.

But I solved these issues once I discovered the Fremont Low G. They do not squeak at all. Really! (You can't make them squeak no matter how hard you try.) They feel very smooth and are a little less bright than most other wound strings, so blend well with the unwound strings.

There is nothing dull or flabby about Southcoast choices in unwound. Absolutely bright and consistent. If you want wound, Southcoast has sets in low g as well and they are silent.

PhD strings are my favorite for unwound low G.

I didn't know these things existed...I've tried a few and didn't like any. I agree with Kmetzger at the risk of being controversial too :p

I second the Fremont Soloist Wound Low G string, it is no squeak, nice volume & tone, works well with nylon strings.

It's one thing to be controversial; and perhaps another to be unaware of the reality that certain unwound low G strings are not at all dull and/or flabby. Both Southcoast and Living Water make unwound low G strings that are both clear and vibrant.

It's one thing to be controversial; and perhaps another to be unaware of the reality that certain unwound low G strings are not at all dull and/or flabby. Both Southcoast and Living Water make unwound low G strings that are both clear and vibrant.

I totally agree. Both the Southcoast and Living Water unwound sets sound superb - to me anyway. Certainly not flabby, but each to their own I guess. I don't like too much tension and these are perfect.

Top Bottom