Interest Check: William King Longscale Tenor (Spruce top, Koa B&S) with MiSi Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel1972

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Interest Check: William King Longscale Tenor (Spruce top, Koa B&S) with MiSi Pickup

Hello all,

I'll get some pics up this evening, but wanted to see if there is any interest in this tenor before I go all out.

It's a William King longscale tenor. Here is the description of the instrument from the maker's blog post:

"custom model A3 14 fret long scale tenor I just finshed. It features a Swiss spruce soundboard with a paua abalone rosette, toffee colored select curly koa back and sides, curly maple body bindings with black top and side purfling. The Spanish cedar neck is reinforced with a carbon fiber composite structural rod. The instrument has an ebony faceplate, an ebony fingerboard with MOP face and side markers, a sculptued ebony heel cap, an ebony pin bridge with snakewood pins, a 38mm bone nut and a bone saddle.

It is finished in a hand rubbed gloss lacquer finish, fitted with Gotoh UK700 open back geared tuners and strung with Savarez Alliance KF fluorocarbon strings. It has a clear, sweet and bright voice with good sustain, loudness, intonation and playability." I agree wholeheartedly with his assessment of his instrument. It's a really special instrument and for someone looking for something a little larger than a tenor, but not willing to go all the way to baritone, this is your instrument. I'm only selling because I need the money and have too many ukes.

I am the second owner, and the first owner had a MiSi pickup installed.

My understanding is that William King is no longer building instruments, so this could be your only chance to own one of these wonderful instruments. I'm looking to get $1300 out of it, plus actual shipping. This includes a case, but note that the case is a little rough around the edges, and I'm not assigning any value to the case at all (i.e., no complaints about the condition of the case, as you've been properly warned).

This uke is in used but excellent condition. It's been played and has the faint finish strum marks, but they are of the type that you need to get the light just right to see them.

I'd love to avoid packaging and shipping, so local interest gets precedent. I know this post is "worthless without pictures" so if I get some interest, I'll fire up the camera and get some posted this evening.

How do you "fire up" a camera? Pics will sell this in a hurry. I just locked my credit card away myself! BTW: Interested in trades?

How do you "fire up" a camera? Pics will sell this in a hurry. I just locked my credit card away myself! BTW: Interested in trades?

You flip the switch from "off" to "on" :) Of course, the rub is taking the time to actually take the photos, which this posting is meant to kick me in the butt to do.

No interest in trades, I'm selling solely to raise some cash.

Oh man, it's a shame you aren't taking trades! I've been looking for a spruce top with koa B/S and curly maple binding...and an abalone rosette. If I didn't just buy a rather pricey timepiece last week, I'd be all over this...well, that and the fact that I already have too many ukuleles.

Can't wait to see the pictures. If you change your mind on trades, I'd be happy to do trade+cash on my end; have Kamaka, KoAloha, and Kanilea that I'm looking to downsize.

Some Pics

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay, but posting some pictures. I received some interest sight unseen, but you never know so I'm posting to see if it garners any more interest. Sorry for the quality of the pics, but my good camera is not available.

Before going on, I wanted to point out the following:

1. After going over the uke with a fine-toothed comb, I think I'll have to revise my condition statement. I still think it's in very good condition, but there are a lot of those surface scuffs/scratches in the places you'd expect to see them from strumming. They are nearly impossible to photo, but they are there so I wanted to point that out.

2. I noticed that on the faceplate, at the very top, there is some wear on the finish. It looks to me to be simply some wear where the gloss on the finish has been worn down to dull, but it's noticeable. I thought it would come out with some polishing, but it has not. I don't think it's anything more than finish, but it's another ding on the condition. I tried to take a picture, but it was very tough to do without glare interfering. I'm posting one that I think shows it the best that I could capture with my camera.

Other than those two things, it's in excellent condition, and I'd say overall that it's in very good used condition.

IMG_0199.jpgIMG_0210.jpgIMG_0212.jpgIMG_0213.jpgIMG_0198.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom