which strings?

suzrob

Reaction score
Good afternoon, newby here, I'll do a proper introduction in a wee bit but in the mean time, a quick question...

I've just brought a tenor Uke and wandered which strings I need to buy to play along with soprano ukes?

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the UU. Tenor strings should go on a tenor uke - brand preference is totally subjective and very much a personnel thing. Most people string their tenors gcea with either a high g or a low g - once again depending on their preference. A tenor can play along with a soprano no problem - just strum the same chords for the song. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Welcome to the UU. Tenor strings should go on a tenor uke - brand preference is totally subjective and very much a personnel thing. Most people string their tenors gcea with either a high g or a low g - once again depending on their preference. A tenor can play along with a soprano no problem - just strum the same chords for the song. Hope that helps. Good luck.

thank you for the info, to sound most like a soprano, I'm assuming a high G would be the best?

What uke do you have? Aquilas make many all laminate ukes sound good but lots of other favorites. Low g or high, personal preference. I'd just stick with high g for now.

thank you for the info, to sound most like a soprano, I'm assuming a high G would be the best?

To sound like a soprano, then yes, go for High G, which is also known as "re-entrant" tuning.
Aquilas are a good starting point - set 10U.
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/ANTRP.htm

I like Worth Clears personally. You'll get tons of opinions on strings though. It's all personal preference ultimately.

which strings I need to buy to play along with soprano ukes?
As you already see from the previous answers there is a difference between strings and tuning.
Strings are (as the name implies ;)) the actual "wires" you put on your uke, tuning defines how tight you pull them.
Different string brands/types produce a different sound on every uke, there is no general advice like "put these on your Tenor and you're set". Even the same string brand & type will sound differently on different ukes....

And just to avoid the next confusion: there is as well a difference between "chord" and "finger positions" - a chord is just a group of notes being played together whereas the finger positions are needed to achieve this. A C chord is always a C chord, regardless of the instrument you use to produce it (on piano the same as on ukulele) - but the finger positions needed to produce that C chord sound might be different.

Top Bottom