is it possible to fix a polyurethane finish crack/ding?

jinsk90

Reaction score
I have a new Uke that was damaged by my son kicking a pillow into it. My guess is the button on the pillow hit the sound board of the Uke. Uke's already been sent back to Gryphon Strings, who was gracious enough to accept a mail in repair. The Uke's was less then 2 days old when this happened, but its completely my fault and I'm willing to pay for the repairs.

I'll know in a couple days if the Uke can be fixed. But is it possible to fix? I'm reading around and it sounds like its hard to fix polyurethane. Its one of Rick's Compass Rose gloss finishes, which is polyurethane I believe. Theres a crack and a bubble the size smaller then a bubble at the end of each crack. It doesn't look like the wood is damaged, but who knows.

I guess in 10 years or so, I'll actually appreciate the crack, whether to what degree it can be fixed. It will serve as a nice memory the day my son fell into my dog house for the first time in his life.

I think you should call Renaissance guitars and ask Jayme to run it by Rick. Although chances are that is what Gryphon will do for you. Good luck, and hope it works out well.

Thanks for the replies. Just spoke with the guys at Gryphon and it sounds like the only way to make it look new again is to do a refinish. That can be expensive and Rick is very busy at this point. The guys reassured me the tone/sound itself will remain, so I'll live with the nice mark.

Top Bottom