Stew Mac Mitre Box/ Scale template question

lcbullullock

Reaction score
OK, this is probably a silly question (I know there are no stupid questions but silly ones abound). I have just purchased a Stew Mac mitre box and soprano scale fret cutting jig. Here's the silly question: Should the template notches be right in line with the sawblade or are they indexed offset (but still in correct spacing). I'm sure it must be something like that and hey, yes, I am new at this. Does it show? I just don't want to waste time and/or wood. I'm probably not even phrasing the question correctly. Any responses that are helpful appreciated.

Lawrence Bullock
Spooky Ukes

As David said.

The notches in a fretting template are meant to register against a little pin. The template is attached to the fret board blank ( I use double sided carpet tape) and each fret will correspond to a notch.

In a mitre box the template is on the bottom of the fret board blank. On a table saw it's a slightly different process using a jig, and the template is on top of the fret board blank.

Yes, offset. Be mindful of where you attach your fretboard to accommodate that amount of offset. And whether the first notch on the template is the 1st fret, or - the end of the fretboard.

They are offset.

You put the pin in the first notch, the one for the nut. Then you slide the fretboard so that the saw is above where you want the nut. Mark where the end of your fretboard is on the template. Remove template, stick your fretboard on so the end aligns with the mark and your ready to go.

Thanks

They are offset.

You put the pin in the first notch, the one for the nut. Then you slide the fretboard so that the saw is above where you want the nut. Mark where the end of your fretboard is on the template. Remove template, stick your fretboard on so the end aligns with the mark and your ready to go.

Thanks to you and everyone for the answer. I had a suspicion that was the case but it's grand to have these replies.

lb

Top Bottom