C Chord Guilt

soupy1957

Reaction score
I am feeling sorta "guilty" that I'm doing a "one-finger" C Chord. Is there a more well..............fuller version of the C Chord that I could use?

I am feeling sorta "guilty" that I'm doing a "one-finger" C Chord.
Why that?
If you feel guilty with that one, how do you feel playing Am or even C6/Am7?

With regards to finding alternate fingerings you might want to check out http://ukulelehelper.com/ - it has a total of 32 fingerings for the simple C chord (incl. finger-twisters like 5437, 5707 or 5737)

:cool:

There's nothing wrong with just fretting the third fret of the fourth string. I have been playing for two years and that is still the only c chord I use unless I need it up an octave. Making things more complex doesn't mean they'll automatically sound better or fuller.

Use 5433 for a while. It's a hand position with many uses, so it's good to learn anyway.

I am feeling sorta "guilty" that I'm doing a "one-finger" C Chord. Is there a more well..............fuller version of the C Chord that I could use?

Actually, the open C chord is the most "full sounding" C chord because three of the four strings are open - open strings pretty much always ring more freely than fretted ones.

Actually, the open C chord is the most "full sounding" C chord because three of the four strings are open - open strings pretty much always ring more freely than fretted ones.

Here I am talking to myself again...

I didn't mean that one should avoid learning other forms, BTW. I'll often play it 5433 if I'm playing other barre chords around that area or if I need to "scrub" or "scratch" the chord.

John

Once you start to tackle diminished chords that mostly require 4 fingers, you will yearn for the beautiful C chord. That's my favorite sounding chord. Embrace it!

I find that if what you're attempting has a lot of barres and/or 3-4 fretted string chords, the single fretted chords sound a lot brighter... too bright. I think that's the source of the "guilt." I'm just starting to learn chords up the fretboard and I like the open-A shape for C. Of course it's a lot harder to play stuff like that (transitions to/from barres for me are way too slow).

I don't feel in the least bit guilty playing one finger C. In fact the brightness of open cord shapes are the very thing I'm looking for as it suits the songs I play.

that is the "standard" C major. The others are alternates, except maybe for "Hawaiian C"

Think of it as giving the middle finger to the guitar.

You could tune to D. That'll make C more challenging . . .

Top Bottom