PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

LifesShort
07-30-2013, 04:41 AM
Just curious to see how many of you have a rider on your homeowner's insurance for your instruments. I always knew that this was available, but had never added one until recently. I am now taking my instruments out much more frequently and thought this would be a good thing to have.

Jon Moody
07-30-2013, 05:21 AM
Check your rider carefully. Many will state that if you're taking your instrument out of the house and getting ANY form of compensation, they will not cover it as it is being used for "professional" use at that point.

I have a "Professional Article" policy on all of my instruments, that covers them wherever they are; in the house, at a gig, in my car, etc.. It's only ~$200 annually, which is nothing compared to trying to replace a $5k electric bass if it's stolen.

LifesShort
07-30-2013, 05:28 AM
Check your rider carefully. Many will state that if you're taking your instrument out of the house and getting ANY form of compensation, they will not cover it as it is being used for "professional" use at that point.

I have a "Professional Article" policy on all of my instruments, that covers them wherever they are; in the house, at a gig, in my car, etc.. It's only ~$200 annually, which is nothing compared to trying to replace a $5k electric bass if it's stolen.

I had the option of getting a "Professional" or "Non-Professional" rider. I chose the non-professional one because I never play for any type of compensation. Most of my playing is at church or casual (non-paying) social functions. It covers the instruments wherever they are and is only $16 for $4000 worth of insurance. A "Professional" rider would have been much more expensive.

Tonya
07-30-2013, 05:54 AM
Yep, I insure our instruments as a rider--our home was burglarized about 14 years ago, taking son's favorite electric guitar (no longer made). While he wasn't able to replace that instrument with a similar one, he did have the funds (we insured for stated value) to buy something else he wanted to play. When we purchased my Moore Bettah last November on the Big Island, I called our friendly State Farm agent immediately and had the insurance in place that afternoon. I'm not a big "extended warranty" type person, but replacing my ukuleles would be even sadder if I didn't have the "extra" funds to do so from insurance.

RyRod
07-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Is it really that easy?

We have AAA and while looking into it we were told that I needed to get an actual invoice from Dave Talsma as well as have the instruments appraised.

What all goes into the process?

sukie
07-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Hey RyRod -- get the insurance. It does provide a small bit of piece of mind.

We have State Farm. I called them up when I got my Moore Bettah and asked about coverage. I had to provide a copy of the invoice as well as photos of my ukulele. It is a policy for a non-professional musician. It costs around $30 year for the rider. I believe it is based on value, so it could be lower, or higher.

I'm glad I have the insurance. It really won't replace my ukulele if it gets ruined, as it is a one of a kind, but maybe Chuck could make me a new one?

SAlly_Ann
09-25-2013, 09:37 AM
I think you should use the online invoicing platform http://www.fetchflow.com/support/question/How-do-I-schedule-recurring-invoices.html which is absolutely free. You can make your own excel invoice which you can export in any format and can use it manually for invoicing.

sukie
09-25-2013, 09:44 AM
I think you should use the online invoicing platform http://www.fetchflow.com/support/question/How-do-I-schedule-recurring-invoices.html which is absolutely free. You can make your own excel invoice which you can export in any format and can use it manually for invoicing.
Not to be a naysayer, but.....that sounds fraudulent. I am assuming (yeah, I know) you mean to make your own when you don't have one.

uke4ia
09-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I got my Kawika tenor insured when I started to play out. The hardest part was getting a good appraisal, since the uke was worth more at that point than what I had paid for it. Since in 37 years of playing, I've been paid a total of about $65, so far I have the non-professional rider.