NUD...I surrendered and bought a tenor

R

RyanMFT

Well, not quite your typical tenor....circa 1926 Lyon & Healy Tenor!! Great vintage tenors are not easy to come by. This little gem appeared last night, and I spent a couple hours cleaning it up. Don't think it has had strings on it in a very long time. When the strings went on, it started to sing right away...and sounds great!

It was incredibly dirty, but has no cracks. Scale is between modern concert and modern tenor. Wood is monkey pod, fretboard is rosewood. First pic is dirty, second pic is all cleaned up.

All cleaned up and strung....

That's so weird, Ryan. I was looking at a Lyon and Healy vintage soprano last night on the Bay, but passed. It was pretty crapped up--but simple restoration doesn't scare me. That one looks great! Nice tenor.
http://database.ukulelecorner.org.uk/klm/lyon--healy

Some background on Chicago's L&H above. Does yours have Washburn on the back of the headstock? You have nice vintage ukuleles, too. Thanks again for chiming in on my recent Martin 2M thread.

Steve

Congrats Rayan!!

Looks great, can't wait to hear it.

Congrats Ryan,
I was always looking for one L and H and would dream of it being a tenor...you lucky guy....I am so jealous...:) Happy strummings...

Welcome to the world of the tenors. Nice job of restoring it, Ryan.
Now that you've open the door to tenors........who knows...
Take care

Thanks all...

This is the only one I have come across in my years of collecting. The sopranos come up, which is to be expected since that is basically what everyone played. I didn't have a lot of time to play it after cleaning last night, but it sounded good. I am particularly happy that the sound hole ring has survived on mine. I think they are so cool, and they are usually gone. Another thing, which is interesting is that it is finished on this inside of the ukulele. Anyone know if that is something that L & H did?

Cookayaker - It is not a Washburn model, it is an American Conservatory model. I have a picture of the label if you'd like to see it.

Localmana - Ha...I doubt it. I've had the chance to buy a couple Martin tenors, they didn't do it for me. I just have Zero interest in modern ukuleles. In modern ukuleles, I've not found anything I like anywhere near as much as my KoAloha concert.

nice save..wouldn't it be nice if you could find out the history of it.

Thanks Radio Flyer. I feel that way about every vintage ukulele I have. I always wonder about the hands who built it, where it was sold, who was excited to bring it home for the first time......who owned it over the years, how long it sat in a closet unloved, unplayed.....I can tell you this guy will make a lot of music now!

Top Bottom