Kalei Gamiao.................my goodness

darylcrisp

Reaction score
Definitely one of my favorites. Incredible talent!

Also, all of the HiSessions vids and performers are amazing. Find 'em all...

Yes daryl, there is much out there to aspire to. Kalei is an incredible talent. One of many. You can see why the uke has been under-appreciated as an instrument to many.

I love Kalei's last album. He's really becoming a force. DK, how do we convince Kalei to come play the East Coast? It seems like Jake has great support out here when he passes through (just saw him last Friday in NH), and I have to think this same crowd would be in awe of Kalei too.

-Steve

I love Kalei's last album. He's really becoming a force. DK, how do we convince Kalei to come play the East Coast? It seems like Jake has great support out here when he passes through (just saw him last Friday in NH), and I have to think this same crowd would be in awe of Kalei too.

-Steve

I agree Steve. It is a long way from Hawaii though!

On a side note, I just realized recently that you changed your user name.

OK I really hate to be a name-dropper and brag, but that's never stopped me before! :)
Shortly after I moved to Oahu, I was having dinner and watching Weldon Kekauoha and Bryan Tolentino play when a guy who played in my ukulele club in California walked up to me - with Kimo Hussey! He introduced me to his friend Kimo and explained that I had just moved to Oahu. Kimo then invited me to a kanikapila he was having at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel. Pretty cool!
So I go to the kanikapila, and it was Kimo, Kalei Gamiao, and Rio Saito. Kimo asked *me* to come up and play a song, and afterwards, another one! So I got to jam with Kimo and Kalei. I still don't believe it.

On a side note, I just realized recently that you changed your user name.

Yeah, I was trying to be more creative by ripping off someone else's creativity - you know, instead of just using my actual name.

-Steve

okay, so here is 42 live minutes of Mr G

a fingerstyle guitarist sitting here blown away........................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4IcTdENs80&list=RD02hM-mLOT0XWQ

question-does he play with a low or high G on the 4th-i honestly can't tell, everything blends so well-i think i hear
low G but i'm not sure.
anybody know what his Uke wood is? sounds great

nuther question-whats a recommended CD of his-prefer just him-no other instruments

d

Last edited:
There's a lot of great stuff from Kalei on YouTube. I've sat for hours at a time watching, mostly with my jaw on the floor. His strumming patterns are incredible - almost hypnotic!

Daryl, I believe he plays a high G. I've been (slowly) working through Dominator's tutorial for "The Unknown," and it is definitely high G. Good tutorial too.

As far as a CD goes, I highly recommend his last one, "Redefined." I also have "Contemporary Ukulele," but vastly prefer Redefined. I think Kalei has developed so much from one album to the next that it almost doesn't seem like the same guy. I guess his newest album title is fitting then, yes?

-Steve

Last edited:

This song made me wet my jammies.

Kalei's custom Slot head Kamaka is the Nicest one I've ever seen!!!...

His "Office Theme" cover is AWESOME!...

okay, so here is 42 live minutes of Mr G

a fingerstyle guitarist sitting here blown away........................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4IcTdENs80&list=RD02hM-mLOT0XWQ

question-does he play with a low or high G on the 4th-i honestly can't tell, everything blends so well-i think i hear
low G but i'm not sure.
anybody know what his Uke wood is? sounds great

nuther question-whats a recommended CD of his-prefer just him-no other instruments

d

Brazilian rosewood with a spruce(or cedar top) cutaway Kamaka..pretty sure he plays a highG..I saw him at a Kanile'a party with his uke..he played 3 or 4 songs then brought his teacher/mentor Kimo Hussey to the stage...

Joe Souza and Kimo played together..for those who don't know Joe can sing! and plays a nice ukulele too!

I looked at Kalei's uke but there was no way I was going to play it for him...

Hey Damon...
Kimo Hussey is my hero too...

Last edited:
Big 10-4 to the "my goodness" Lots of folks new favorite player.

I've been (slowly) working through Dominator's tutorial for "The Unknown," and it is definitely high G. Good tutorial too.
-Steve

Thanks for the heads up that the tutorial is on Dominator's site. After watching Kalei's video I was just about to go searching for a tab. Nice to also have Dom's video. Now am sitting outside working on that pattern in the intro. Really nice.

There's a lot of great stuff from Kalei on YouTube. I've sat for hours at a time watching, mostly with my jaw on the floor. His strumming patterns are incredible - almost hypnotic!

Daryl, I believe he plays a high G. I've been (slowly) working through Dominator's tutorial for "The Unknown," and it is definitely high G. Good tutorial too.

As far as a CD goes, I highly recommend his last one, "Redefined." I also have "Contemporary Ukulele," but vastly prefer Redefined. I think Kalei has developed so much from one album to the next that it almost doesn't seem like the same guy. I guess his newest album title is fitting then, yes?

-Steve

I too have been learning "The Unknown" from Dominator. He does a great job with the tutorials. There are 5-6 and he takes you through every note in the tune.
Started out just learning the "chords" and now I'm able to play it through with some consistency. Being a newish uke player, it gave me something to shoot for. Don't expect to be able to play it with the flourish of KG, but it keeps me playing. I can noodle on this tune when not practicing "formally". (Anybody really do that??)

He is definitely one of my favorite. All his songs sound cool and the couple I know are really fun to play. His ukulele is a custom kamaka with Brazilian rosewood back and sides with bear claw spruce on top and he plays high g

Top Bottom