Woah String Buzz

Kyle23

Reaction score
So this just started happening and I have no idea why. I never had string buzz, maybe just a little on the C strings, but now my G C E and A strings all buzz. What could have caused this? The only thing I can think of is that the strings are wearing down, but I don't have any others to test is that's really the problem. What are some other factors that may have caused this?

Could be time for a string change, but a sudden change in humidity could also be the culprit.

If you haven't changed your strings in the 6 months you'be been playing, you're probably due, but since all 4 strings started to buzz simultaneously, that could point to something other than strings. Maybe there's something loose on or inside the uke? If you can isolate where the buzz is coming from, that might tell you something.

Could be time for a string change, but a sudden change in humidity could also be the culprit.

I would say humidity also. Here in Michigan the humidity shifted from a 46 reading on my hygrometer to 59 over night. (last night to today) Raining but too cold for the AC to kick on and dehumidify the house.

Almost certainly something loose on the uke - check the nuts on front of tuners, if the uke has a pickup jack check that the ring on it hasn't loosened, etc. The next most likely cause is a brace or something loose inside the uke - or even something that dropped inside it. After that inspect frets carefully, one may be popping up from it's slot (though usually they will start lifting at one edge so usually they affect one of the outside strings more than the others). While a sudden back bow in the neck would cause the problem it's very rare to see that happen on a uke that has been used for a while - that usually happens on "green" ukes. Now, if the buzz came on very gradually, yeah, back-bow is more likely.

John

Top Bottom