Martin: New vs Old

SamUke

Reaction score
Are the new Nazareth Martin's coming out today comparable to how the old one's were when they were first off the line? The vintage one's sound awesome but is that more due to age, and did they sound more of what is coming out now but then? Sounds confusing I know. I ask because I have had a 2M since February and it really has started to take on the vintage-y Martin sound over the last month.

Hi, Sam. I have both old and new (as you can see from my sig). I have the one you have, and it's sweet.

Soundwise, the old 2M and the new 2M sound the same to my ear. I wouldn't want to wager that I could tell the difference blindfolded.

I now buy vintage only. Why? Same cost (sometimes slightly cheaper), same sound, and no depreciation (and possibly appreciation). I can't think of another uke--maybe very old Kamakas--that hold value like a Martin.

There are a ton of guys on here that know a lot more about Martins than I do (PeteyHoudini, PDXuke, ChrisTarman, Rforgner, Hmberg, to name just a few). It's fun speaking to them bc they know the score.

Grab that new Martin book (reviews are outstanding) for a great read (and a lifelong resource, that book)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Martin-Uk...375326093&sr=8-1&keywords=martin+ukulele+book

Welcome to the Martin lovers club, Samuke.

PS You get that OhtaSan back yet from the luthier? Wasn't that you?

Last edited:
Hi, Sam. I have both old and new (as you can see from my sig). I have the one you have, and it's sweet.

Soundwise, the old 2M and the new 2M sound the same to my ear. I wouldn't want to wager that I could tell the difference blindfolded.

I now buy vintage only. Why? Same cost (sometimes slightly cheaper), same sound, and no depreciation (and possibly appreciation). I can't think of another uke--maybe very old Kamakas--that hold value like a Martin.

There are a ton of guys on here that know a lot more about Martins than I do (PeteyHoudini, PDXuke, ChrisTarman, Rforgner, Hmberg, to name just a few). It's fun speaking to them bc they know the score.

Grab that new Martin book (reviews are outstanding) for a great read (and a lifelong resource, that book)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Martin-Uk...375326093&sr=8-1&keywords=martin+ukulele+book

Welcome to the Martin lovers club, Samuke.

PS You get that OhtaSan back yet from the luthier? Wasn't that you?
I'd love to know if there is a sound difference as well between vintage vs new and between "styles" style 0 vs style 1 vs etc.

I'd love to know if there is a sound difference as well between vintage vs new and between "styles" style 0 vs style 1 vs etc.

My take on it, ipcmlr (and this is, admittedly, only one opinion): There is no generalizable difference in sound between vintage and new. Aged wood, opening up, all that, seems to make little difference to my ear. Similarly, I cannot tell a major difference in style 0, 1, 2.

That said, each individual ukulele does sound different. If you put three 1940s style 1 ukuleles out, I think they will sound slightly different. Slightly is the key. So many factors (dryness of wood, string type, and on and on).

The one Martin that I own that distinctly sounds different--more subdued (i.e. less volume), but deeper darker tones--is the new 3C soprano ukulele. I have no idea if it's the cherry, or just the fact that it's made differently, but Peter Houdini and I have discussed his and mine, and it's definitely "darker" sounding with more bass. It's also 14.53 ounces, and my vintage 1950s Martin 2M is 10.48 ounces (I just weighed them). There is a noticeable difference in just the heft of the 3Cherry when one picks it up. That's why I advocate for Martin soprano buffs to purchase a new 3C soprano because (a) it's the first cherry Martin ever made (ever), and (b) it's distinctly different sounding than the koa and mahogany ones, and (c) most MArtin fanatics would do well to get the first "edition" of this new cherry uke (now serial numbered inside the headstock); buying one in the next decade won't be the same, for sure (if Martin still makes them then).

Anyhow, PDXuke did an interesting sound comparison in early 2013/late 2012 of Martin ukuleles of differing vintages (even newer made in Mexico, as I recall) and no one could reliably tell the difference in blinded sound test. I wish I could find the thread.

I have a UU friend with a good ear and many upscale ukes (yes, D), and he played a vintage 1920's Martin 3M and was totally unimpressed. It sounded rather dead to him. I trust his ear, so, again, many factors. Buying a vintage Martin sight unseen is a gamble, and one that I have taken a few times. They are generally similar sounding, so it's a calculated risk: the next one might be a dud.

Just my take on it. Fun questions. Fun to think about.

Oh, here's Thom's famous Name That Martin thread (answers linked at end of thread).
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?75039-Name-that-martin

Last edited:
Top Bottom