What's Your "Go To" Song?

mendel

Reaction score
Ok,

So lets say that you pick up a uke to strum in a store, or you are blessed enough to have the time to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful world we share with one another....

When you pick the uke up, before you even think about it, what comes out of the magic little four-string when your fingers start to do the walking?

For me, it seems to be two or three stand by's.

Tears In Heaven (UU version)
I'm Yours (My own version with some solos added in)
Titanic Theme Song (UU version)

I also strum some Jack Johnson from time to time.

Well, UU'ers... What is your go-to song?

mendel

Creep. It's automatic. Then usually an instrumental version of Careless Whisper.

"All My Loving" by the Beatles (the first song I learned start to finish on the ukulele), one of several original songs for which I have chords and melodies but not lyrics, and/or Ke Aloha if I want to see if the uke has a sound I identify with being Hawaiian.

Got my Mojo Workin' (but it just don't work on you)
Unicorn Song
The Wild Rover

good topic For me it always seems to start with Pennies From Heaven, then When I'm Cleaning Windows

Right now it's Rolling Stones' "Angie" or The Who's "Wont Get Fooled Again"....
...... but in a month or so, another "go to" will probably rotate in.

The Russian song "Dark Eyes"

For me it is Classical Gas and Stealin'

Has Anybody Seen My Gal. Usually. Or just improvised meandering. Or something I wrote. Which probably sounds like improvised meandering... ;)

I tend to go for "I'll See You In My Dreams"...that was definitely the first song that made me fall in love with Paloma, my latest uke. :)

House of the rising sun or fur elise.

Also cdkrugjr id be interested in hearing your version of wild rover. I threw together a couple chords and made music for the lyrics, but its one of my favorite songs and I'm always looking for a better version.

House of the rising sun or fur elise.

Also cdkrugjr id be interested in hearing your version of wild rover. I threw together a couple chords and made music for the lyrics, but its one of my favorite songs and I'm always looking for a better version.

Well gosh . . not sure what else to say beyond, "I play it in G, start with the chorus, and encourage the audience to sing along"
:cool:

Hi Richard! Good seeing you back on the forum again. Great thread and interesting responses.

For me it's "Blue Red and Grey" by Pete Townshend or "E Ku'u Morning Dew" from Mark Kailana Nelson's learn to play Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele book.

Wagon Wheel followed by improvised blues noodling.

Deal, Opihi Man, Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out, Something (Beatles), Ku`u Pua Mae `Ole

Top Bottom