Cool hand uke: The Cars’ Greg Hawkes does the Beatles

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
By Jim Sullivan
Wednesday, January 7, 2009

fcf0182024_hawk.jpg

Greg Hawkes saw the Beatles play the Baltimore Civic Center on Sept. 13, 1964. He was 11.

That night something joyous exploded in his head. Already taking piano and clarinet lessons, he began to learn guitar. The first Beatles song he played was “She Loves You.”

Nearly 45 years later, Hawkes - keyboard and synthesizer whiz for ’80s Boston new wave hit-makers the Cars - has released a 15-track solo CD of all-instrumental Beatles covers. This isn’t just any Beatles tribute. It uses only one instrument: the ukulele - four types, from baritone to soprano.

“I’ve come full circle,” Hawkes said with a laugh during an interview at his Lincoln home.

Read the full article here.

What a cool article, seeso. I love it. Gonna break out my vinyl Cars album tomorrow and relive 1981. I wonder how hard it will be to find a copy of his new album.

Hello, new to UU and ukuleles. I've been lurking around for the past week or so trying to absorb the wealth of knowledge and info here and like what I see here so far.

iPod and iTunes user's can get Greg Hawkes - The Beatles Uke DRM free aac files in the iTunes Store. I'm downloading it now.

By Jim Sullivan
Wednesday, January 7, 2009

fcf0182024_hawk.jpg

Greg Hawkes saw the Beatles play the Baltimore Civic Center on Sept. 13, 1964. He was 11.

That night something joyous exploded in his head. Already taking piano and clarinet lessons, he began to learn guitar. The first Beatles song he played was “She Loves You.”

Nearly 45 years later, Hawkes - keyboard and synthesizer whiz for ’80s Boston new wave hit-makers the Cars - has released a 15-track solo CD of all-instrumental Beatles covers. This isn’t just any Beatles tribute. It uses only one instrument: the ukulele - four types, from baritone to soprano.

“I’ve come full circle,” Hawkes said with a laugh during an interview at his Lincoln home.

Read the full article here.

excellent, I've been listening to the songs already. I hope he brings out the music for it. Thanks for the link.

You can look forward to an article on Greg Hawkes and an interview in Ukulele Player Magazine, coming soon.

Love the shirt! :rock:

JJ

Number nine--number nine--number nine!

Thats awesome. I loved the cars when I was in High school, more than the Beatles at the time. its great to see this amazing connecting between the Cars, the Beatles, Paul and the uke. I wonder how Oingo Boingo would fit in this mix?

I actually saw gregg hawkes open for jake s. back in 2006 at a small art house that sat about 150 people. it's been awesome watching the interest in the uke grow since.

Top Bottom