Islander SA-4-C

gar4

Reaction score
I'm a complete beginner. Anybody have experience with the islander sa-4-c? Solid Asian Acacia Top, laminate Back & Sides. Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge with nickel fret wire
Black Bridge Pins
Mahogany neck
Satin Finish
NuBone nut and saddle
I can get it with setup for $219. Is the solid acacia top much better than the AC-4 with laminated acacia top?

I don't know that model myself, but I know that islanders have a fantastic reputation here. The solid tops always seem to be sought after compared to the laminated. Usually, solid is better quality. There are posts here that talk about the difference between the two that I am sure you can find easily with a search on the review section.
Welcome to the group. There is lots of great material here and the best people to inspire and encourage. Visit as often as you can and participate often.

Thank you for your response. I think this site is great and look forward to using it to learn.

Very nice looking Uke! Go for the solid top as I hear the tone can be better and will get better over time. I was contemplating a laminate Islander as well but decided to go with a solid mahogany Islander tenor MST-4, glad I did. Its a nice uke.

Hi, we were looking at the Islander ukes too, thinking about the Maple tenor also curious about the Spruce top ukes, good luck on your choices,
:eek: whatever you get ,you will definately be smiling ALOT!!!

Was just notified of pricing error on the islander sa-4-c. It will be $250 with setup and shipping. I guess thats still not bad but was looking at a Kala GAC-E for $245 with setup and shipping. Any opinions on which is better?

Was just notified of pricing error on the islander sa-4-c. It will be $250 with setup and shipping. I guess thats still not bad but was looking at a Kala GAC-E for $245 with setup and shipping. Any opinions on which is better?

I've got both solid and laminate Islanders. The solid is a little fuller in tone but the laminates are no slouch either. The laminate soprano I have sounds much better to me than comparable laminates from either Lanikai or Kala. Again though, sound and tone are subjective, the best way is to hear them side by side but in many cases that's not possible. I was fortunate enough to have a local store that carries mid range and high end ukes, so there was no question in my mind.

I decided to buy the Islander SA-4-C based on the reviews of the Islander line. Did not have many places to test drive ukes here. This one has solid acacia top and laminate sides and back. Looks very nice and will hopefully be set up well.
Will let everyone know when I get it.

Top Bottom