More String Questions

Katz-in-Boots

Reaction score
I have a Kanilea Concert K1 that has Living Water strings on. Very happy with those (not an Aquila nylgut fan), but decided to try their Low G. I like the flexibility of having a Low G:

1. For some reason barre chords are much easier now - is that to do with lower tension?

2. It's been on for over 2 weeks, tuned & layed every day, and still doesn't stay in tune or sound nice - to me that's not normal?

Our teacher, who seems to know a lot, talked about strings I should/shouldn't try on this particular uke, and he recommended GHS:

3. Are GHS at all similar in tension to the Living Water strings? I have hand problems so prefer as little resistance as possible, esp for barre chords.

4. Teacher mentioned an online site where you can 'try' different strings online but I can't find it. Anyone know what site he means?

I recall a youtube video where the person played ukes with 5 or 6 different strings and what they sounded like. I cannot remember the exact wording that I typed into the search bar, but it's definately there. Try typing in "ukulele string sounds" or something like that. Good luck.

1. For some reason barre chords are much easier now - is that to do with lower tension?

2. It's been on for over 2 weeks, tuned & layed every day, and still doesn't stay in tune or sound nice - to me that's not normal
You could always ask forum member Ken Middleton directly - he should know best, esp. regarding your second quuestion.
Are you sure the strings don't slip at the tuners somehow? Or have too many windings on the pegs?

Top Bottom