Soprano - I'm actually starting to get it

UkeKiddinMe

Reaction score
My uke journey has been short and so far baritone only.
I thought I was going to resist anything outside the baritone world,
but I recently bought an amazing low cost, beautiful looking Soprano from Rondo Music.

A great guy here once told me that my fingers Would adjust to a short Soprano scale if I tried. I didn't think I could - there's not a whole lot of room on the fretboard on a Soprano. :) But, he's right. The adjustment is actually happening, and I'm having a ridiculous amount of fun with it. I love the way it sounds.

Dragged further into the uke net. :)

That's awesome! I agree that the sopranos have such a beautiful and authentic sound. Really, it's the native ukulele voice and gives it that boxy, percussive, sparkly vibe...so alive and energetic and fun. Glad your fingers are adjusting Frank and you're having a ball with it. It'll open you up to a whole bunch more styles of playing too I reckon. For myself, soprano is the first choice instrument in my collection, just love em to bits. And they're so cute eh. :)

I still can't do it, the smallest that I can do is concert with a wide neck but I do agree that the small ukes have such a unique voice

I just started playing a uke a few weeks ago... I bought a Ibanez concert uke, because i thought this soprano size would be too small for my fingers. Just a bunch of weeks after my purchase im searching for a soprano one, too

I've been struggling with the soprano for almost 18 months, and despaired of ever "getting it". About ten days ago I received an Islander soprano, and was amazed by the difference 1/8 inch can make (1-1/2 inch vs 1-3/8 inch nut). Of course, my current favorite, in terms of actually sounding clean chords, is an OS tenor with a 1-3/4 inch nut. Your post encourages me!

I just started playing a uke a few weeks ago... I bought a Ibanez concert uke, because i thought this soprano size would be too small for my fingers. Just a bunch of weeks after my purchase im searching for a soprano one, too

If you want something high end, there are many choices. If you want to try this inexpensively, getting something that sounds good and looks
absolutely great, check this out:
http://www.rondomusic.com/uk20snm.html

Sopranos are just too much fun not to have at least one.

i don't know how you guys can actually play those big things with all that wasted space on the fingerboard. welcome to the light side! (yes i have a fluke avatar but i'm seriously considering switching my concerts to a soprano flea).

Brads soprano is probally the best soprano I like and I have a few of them...hee hee if you get a chance, get one...

I picked up a Kamaka Soprano in mid Winter. I had the Gotoh tuners installed and added Worth clear strings. I love the sound of that little bugger, especially if I'm bending some blue notes.

The reason soprano lovers love sopranos (and especially Martin sopranos) in the video above. That percussive jangle. I could (and have) watch this video one million times. Thank you P. Krouk (left) and Ukulelezaza. That was intense!

"If you're going to strum a ukulele, make sure it's a soprano." ANON :)

I have one Tenor,two Concerts,but three
Sopranos and one Sopranino! remember,
Sopranos are the choice of gentlemen!

Top Bottom