How to string baritone uke in GDAE tuning

Torinsall

Reaction score
Finally found a uke store with someone who thought figuring out the best strings to tune GDAE on a baritone uke sounded like an interesting fun project and if it worked then we would buy the uke (as opposed to the usual reponse of offering to sell a uke and we could try different strings); of course we would pay for the strings used in testing.

Here's what he ended with:
G ... classical guitar high tension low E tuned to G
D ... baritone DGBE set, move D over one space
A ... classical guitar high tension G tuned to A
E ... baritone DGBE set, keep the E

Sounded great when he played it over the phone (yes, I know) so we now have a Pono mahogony baritone uke on the way...a nylon-string instrument in octave mandolin tuning...sweet.

We have a soprano uke with Aquila 5ths strings, but wanted something in a lower octave and didn't want a steel string tenor guitar, so finally found a great solution thanks to Dan at Bounty Music...love musicians who are open to new ideas and nontraditional ways of exploring music on an instrument.

Welcome to the UU forums Torinsall, OKay let me ask, what is the advantage to this string configuration from DGBE? or GCEA?

Thanks for the welcome.

To answer the question of what the advantage of GDAE tuning is, in addition to being violin/mandolin and octave mandolin tuning, a lot of the music I enjoy playing is scottish and irish folk tunes for which this tuning is great.
It also makes it easier for me to switch between instruments if they are all tuned the same. Plus this tuning sounds sweet on a bari uke.

There are a few YouTube videos of it, if you want to hear them. One guy did a bunch of Christmas carols on a gdae tuned baritone uke which sound really nice.

I actually changed the tuning on on of my soprano's (bij just switching the A and E string and tuning the C to D ;)) after seeing your post on MandolinCafe, I have two beater ukes and thought about bringing my Mandolin on a camping trip but it's a bit to fragile, now I can at least practice some Mando chords. It actually sounds mandolinish when tuned and played that way. So I'm now taking my two soprano's one in uke tuning and one in mando tuning.

Top Bottom