Can you tune a baritone to high G?

addicted2myuke

Reaction score
My friend insists on learning guitar, but is in her late 50s and is struggling terribly. I am trying to convince her that a baritone is almost the size of a guitar and has a deeper sound like a guitar and way easier to learn. I play a soprano and a concert that I tune high G. She is curious about the ukulele because she hears me play well after only 2 years. If she does want to switch to the ukulele, can a baritone be tuned to high G so I can teach her what I know. If not, then maybe a tenor is the way to go for her. I have nothing against the guitar, but by the time she gets a proficient at the guitar as I am at the ukulele so far, she may be too tired to play. ;0).

You sure can. the bari is probably the most versatile size as far as different tunings go. I don't know if anyone makes a set specifically for high g. but def low G, you could just tune down a bari A from a low g set for a high G. call Dirk at Southcoast, he can prob set you up.

Aquila makes strings for C-reentrant tuning on a baritone (normal "High G" tuning). Southcoast Ukes makes a Cuatro set that they say will tune to C on a bari. That has the same chord shapes as a "normal uke" but voiced lower.

So . . yes?

As other have said, YES you can.
I just had mine strung with Aquila strings with high G. But honestly, I wish I had done a low g for that more mellow "guitar" sound. The low G is just an octave lower but you still play the same chords as with high G. I will be getting the g restrung in the near future I'm sure but the baritone still has a mellower sound overall than the other smaller ukes.

:agree: with the Southcoast re-entrant G baritone strings. They'll make a Bari sing.

Another route: tune it DGBE and get a capo. Playing a Bari from the fifth fret up is no big deal, and you get the best of both tunings.

:agree: with the Southcoast re-entrant G baritone strings. They'll make a Bari sing.

Another route: tune it DGBE and get a capo. Playing a Bari from the fifth fret up is no big deal, and you get the best of both tunings.

:agree: Many baritone players sing the praises of these strings.

I haven't tried high G but I still have a bari available for cheap. See the link in my signature if you're interested.

Also, Ken Middleton of Living Water Strings sells a baritone set tuned with High 'D' string (re-entrant) dGBE. He ships pretty quick to the USA. I found his strings better than Worth's on baritone.

Thanks for the information everybody and thanks to the OP for asking the question. I'm not much of a guitar player. Although the chord shapes are alike, my baritone sits unloved in the corner. With high G strings she can enter the fold.

Also, Ken Middleton of Living Water Strings sells a baritone set tuned with High 'D' string (re-entrant) dGBE. He ships pretty quick to the USA. I found his strings better than Worth's on baritone.

Southcoast sells high D strings, too. dGBE, I agree, awesome.

Here's UU member and excellent musician Doc Bekken showing dGBE on Southcoasts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMgv1jBc6Eg

Doc says: "A little late night fingerpicking blues on my cheapo 'Richwood' baritone ukulele...with re-entrant dGBE strings from Southcoast Guitar & Ukulele Company."

All nylon, no wound, no squeaks.

Top Bottom