Beirut "Port of Call" on Kamaka Lili'u

soupking

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought this Kamaka Lili'u from Mandolin Brothers in February of this year. I'd read that six-string ukes were the best for strumming, which is basically all I do even with my four-stringers. Anyway, after I got it home, I detected what I thought to be a buzz with the high c string. It made me really mad because I actually drove to Staten Island from Philly and was able to select mine out of the two they had in stock. I didn't notice the perceived buzz while in the store (I chalked this up to the fact that I did not wail away on either in the store as a result of being bashful- which was the real reason I was so mad- I was angry with myself for that).

Anyway, like I said, I thought it was buzzing so I sent it back up to MBs only to have them send it right back more or less telling me I was crazy and that there wasn't a buzz (they were nice about it though I'm only kidding). So, even after all this I was still bitter because it sounded weird to me. As a result, it sat in its case for months because I was disgusted about the whole experience: the money I spent- $1,400 after taxes, the tolls!- like $50 bucks!; the loss of damn near a whole day of my life; etc.

Now, enter July. I took pictures of the Lili'u and recorded a sound sample with every intent to get rid of it and get on with my life. But then I started playing it. In short- after this long-winded diatribe, incidentally- I'm starting to bond with it. It's a totally different sound, and even though I don't finger pick or play any kind of melody, it still requires adjustment. It's just a different overall feel. As it happens, I think what I thought was an issue with the high c string can be attributed to the fact that I wasn't used to the six-string sound. Lol.

I'm pretty happy with this video overall, despite some rhythmic issues with the strumming since I didn't practice the song all too much before recording. However, the purpose of posting it here is to show everyone what a six-string sounds like STRUMMED. For whatever reason, you always hear that they're best for strumming, but no one strums them on YouTube! They finger pick almost exclusively! Boooooo! Us mere mortals cannot do that! This is just a standard HF-36 with the only difference being Worth Clear 6 set in lieu of the Kamaka strings. I may go back to the Kamaka strings, but the Worths work well enough... -- Matt

Wow....sounds just like the song! Excellent! I'm going to have to google the chords. When I saw Beirut a couple of years ago, he was playing the same Kamaka as yours.

Wow....sounds just like the song! Excellent! I'm going to have to google the chords. When I saw Beirut a couple of years ago, he was playing the same Kamaka as yours.

Hey D, thanks! Here is the chord sheet I used:

http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/PortOfCall.pdf

Only differences from the tab and video are I used the first position Em (which I think he uses anyway based off a live clip of the song I found), and I left out the Dsus2; it was just too much jostling around, haha. Hope this helps... And yeah it's cool he uses an HF-36; it's becoming my go-to uke as of the last couple weeks. I'm really starting to prefer it.

Sweet....that's much better than the stuff I was finding on Ultimate-Guitar. I've tried a couple of 6 strings briefly before but I think I too was playing them more fingerstyle and missing out on how sweet they sound strummed. Is there any wound strings with the Worth set? How's the tension?

Nice. The key to the sweet strummed sound is that glorious low a string. The Worth six sets are all fluorocarbon. It's a toss up in my opinion as to which or better between these and the Kamakas. The wound Kamaka string definitely drones a bit more; but it's not necessarily a bad thing tho. It sounds pretty cool. As for tension, the Kamaka set is way higher, but mine was set up well out of the box so it's just as easy to play either set.

Aloha Matt,
Nice video...I have two kamaka six strings, a white label and a new model....change the stock strings....yes they have quite a different feel and you
have to make adjustments, by the way did you get a set up on yours....but they are fun...here is a video made 5 years ago of gal who plays the same model kamaka 6 string as you...hope you enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqFXH1C3A8
Happy Strummings...

Wow thanks guys. Nice video, Stan. I think I remember her from when I was researching the HF-36 prior to purchasing. Haha.

Het Matt, great job! I'm glad you stuck with it. Those Liliu's have such a distinct sound.

I have mine tuned differently. Low G, C's in octaves, and A's in unison with Southcoasts. Great sound and volume. When it's time for a string change you might give that a whirl.

Top Bottom