Gig Bag

Lots of different options and price points. Hopefully,you get lots of good advice.
Here is a link to a reasonably priced one from a reputable company.
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/FBU1.htm
Good luck on your search.

I'm not sure about good and cheap. I pay a little more to get better quality. Here in the UK you can get a middling grade one ~15mm padding for about 15 GB pounds. The ones I mostly get cost about 25 pounds and have 25mm (about 1") padding. The brand name is Boston but I don't know if they are available in the US.

I bought this wonderful soprano gig bag off eBay. The inside is plaid!

Attachments

• uke gig bag.jpg
    uke gig bag.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 42
For a decent cheap padded bag the Lanikai Gig Bag is a good choice. I just purchased a concert and I like it. It's just a basic padded bag with a shoulder strap (which I probably won't use), a zippered pocket on the front, and a padded handle. The bag is all black and doesn't say Lanikai or anything on it, the only tag the bag has says "made in China". My bag probably won't leave the house and I got it to keep my uke clean and from getting bumped around. If it was a better uke I would have gotten a hard case, but this bag should do just fine for what I want. :cheers:

http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-Soprano-Ukulele-Gig-Bag/dp/B001V5K2S8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_1

For a decent cheap padded bag the Lanikai Gig Bag is a good choice. I just purchased a concert and I like it. It's just a basic padded bag with a shoulder strap (which I probably won't use), a zippered pocket on the front, and a padded handle. The bag is all black and doesn't say Lanikai or anything on it, the only tag the bag has says "made in China". My bag probably won't leave the house and I got it to keep my uke clean and from getting bumped around. If it was a better uke I would have gotten a hard case, but this bag should do just fine for what I want. :cheers:

http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-Soprano-Ukulele-Gig-Bag/dp/B001V5K2S8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_1

That does seem like a great gig bag for my starter ukulele. Thank you. :)

This is also the one I got (concert) because I knew for sure the ukulele would fit!

I use the shoulder strap all the time -- if I'm carrying any other things too (usually the case when moving the ukulele) it keeps the bag out of the way. I also mainly use it to prevent the kids from banging it around too much, but it's good for car travel too. I have successfully brought it on the plane, but it's a bit nerve wracking - even with a pretty cheap instrument.

Not sure why anyone would choose the more expensive, but less protective "gig bag" over that Gearlux hard case for $15 ???? Also has carrying strap, zipper pouch, internal compartment for picks and such, and it's hardly a "basic" bag.

Not sure why anyone would choose the more expensive, but less protective "gig bag" over that Gearlux hard case for $15 ???? Also has carrying strap, zipper pouch, internal compartment for picks and such, and it's hardly a "basic" bag.

I was looking at that myself. But, a couple of the comments said the uke did not fit well and perhaps it wasn't a uke case.
Did it work out well for you?

I was looking at that myself. But, a couple of the comments said the uke did not fit well and perhaps it wasn't a uke case.
Did it work out well for you?

Well, I still haven't bought one since Im really looking for a good yet cheap gig bag for my starter ukulele as a beginner. :)

I got this one after finding out that my $50 uke was actually a whole lot nicer than I expected.

Last edited:
I'll add another vote for the patterned Lanikai bags...both the tribal and the flowered ones are very good, fit well with enough room to avoid having to cram the neck in, and well-padded. And they just plain look nice (you can remove the Lanikai emblem if you want, though I never have). They run from about $27 to 32. http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-FB-S-Gig-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B007R8KBNY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375763286&sr=8-2&keywords=lanikai+soprano+gig+bag

Note that Lanikai also makes some black ones (Conpro), and they're entirely different, so I don't know if they're any good or not, but price is around $20. They also make some heavily padded versions of the tribal print and flower print, that run $40-60, and these are outstanding, practically a hard case, but I know that's more than you're looking for.

The other gig bags I found worthwhile were the Cordoba (nicely padded, good construction and a little cheaper, around $25). The Kaces are good and reasonably priced, and the AnueNue bags are very nice, but a little more pricey.

There are a lot of run-of-the-mill bags by Kala and others that are decent, and around $20-25, but I personally would take the Lanikai tribal/flowered or the Cordoba over them any day, with just a little price difference.

Be careful of anything really cheap in price...one nice thing is if you get a decent one, your future 'better' soprano will still fit (my grandson's Kala long-neck soprano fit nicely in the standard soprano Lanikai case). A cheap case and you'll be buying another nicer one for the new uke, so you won't save anything.

One to definitely watch out for is the "Stone Case Co." case available on Amazon and elsewhere. I tried one for about $20, but the description and picture was incorrect, and it's a basic thin, almost-no-padding nylon crummy case that should be free with a $50 uke. They fixed the picture, and may make better models, but beware.
http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Case-Company-STBag-4UKC-Concert/dp/B007V7VHD4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1375762536&sr=8-5&keywords=stone+case+gig+bag

Last edited:
Couple of what comments? It certainly is not a "bag" and it certainly is a uke case. It appears to be an unbranded uke crazy hard case. You will find that some ukes won't fit perfectly with many cases/bags, regardless of price. This case appears to an unbranded "Uke Crazy" case. It's interior dimensions are 22 1/4" length, 7 3/4" lower bout width, 6" upper. The main body of the case is 2" deep and it has a 3/4" recessed top, so a uke up to 2 and 3/8" should fit comfortably. This is well within the dimensions of most soprano ukes. It's actually a little too large for my vintage Martin O.
If you have a standard size soprano, should be no problem.

To all the uninformed "naysayers" it looks exactly like this one. http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukecrazy-case.html

Neither here nor there now, price went back up to $24.99....sigh, I try. :shaka:

Last edited:
Couple of what comments?

If that was for me, I was referring to a couple of the comments at Amazon. 2 people had complained that their soprano did
not fit snugly in the case. 6 others, though, seemed to be very happy with the case.

Seeing your endorsement here, I ordered one on Sunday - when the price was 14.99. :) Thanks.

If that was for me, I was referring to a couple of the comments at Amazon. 2 people had complained that their soprano did
not fit snugly in the case. 6 others, though, seemed to be very happy with the case.

Seeing your endorsement here, I ordered one on Sunday - when the price was 14.99. :) Thanks.

No not really directed at anyone...didn't know where the comments came from, guessed maybe Amazon. I knew you were just reporting them. I don't think there's a case made that every uke fits in perfectly.

The Rockbag student line is okay, and should fit your needs. It's a gigbag, in that it is a soft case a ukulele fits into. The nice thing is that it has a strap to secure the uke in place, for a little more security (and I use the word security loosely in this case).

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/RBSLG-UKES.htm

If you are wanting a good fit, ask the seller/maker of the uke. Or call a store that carries the same make/model as the one you own. They should know what is best suited for your particular instrument.

When I ordered my tenor, I asked the seller which case would best suit the instrument and he emailed me with information. It came in a little black gig bag, but I wanted something more substantial to protect it in a rough household with two boys and a dog.

I just got mine today. Best deal on a case I have ever caught. Slam dunk ridiculously outstanding value.

Top Bottom