PDA

View Full Version : Season 77 of the Ukulele - Give My Regards To Broadway

Pages : [1] 2

frisbee fred
08-03-2013, 05:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WoPPmTFlkM

Greetings Fellow Ukulele Addicts and welcome to Season 77!

Criteria for this week is simple - if it is song that has been in a Broadway show it will be accepted. Any Broadway show for any time period.

I'll be giving several prizes based on criteria I have not yet come up with :-) However, I know that I'll be giving away a 32oz jug of real Vermont Maple Syrup (made at a farm here in Barre, VT) to first time participants. I'll also be giving away another 32oz jug plus several smaller containers of real Vermont maple syrup.

All videos count (no bonuses). Limit of 3 videos per participant. Not having hosted before I want to make sure I can get to everyone's video. Don't be shy - I hope everyone can do all three.

You need to say somewhere that it is for the 77th Season. Must be a new video for this week. The ukulele must be the primary instrument and we have to see both the uke and your face. Multi-tracking and special effects are allowed (maybe I'll have a special give away for this category depending on how many entries there are).

Don't start posting until 12:01am Sunday August 4th Hawaii time. The contest will run, as usual, until 11:59pm Sunday night August 11th.

Let me know if I have missed something.

Thank you for participating!

PLAYLIST (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WoPPmTFlkM&list=PLXRkvd1m9c-CN13rvsKLRKOKcP5HPCAZY)

Fred

GinnyT11
08-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Good idea, Fred! It's making me feel...oh, I don't know...I Feel Pretty.

Raygf
08-03-2013, 06:01 PM

:biglaugh:

REAL Vermont maple syrup. I'm in it to win it! Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing. Oh my, I was just threatened with a month of no cooking if I even start to play and sing Shipoopi. I am not kidding and I am definitely not loosing a month of my wife's cooking. She's a cruel mistress. I guess someone else will have to do it. There's plenty to choose from.

frisbee fred
08-03-2013, 06:12 PM

"I like to be in America...." Love West Side Story.

frisbee fred
08-03-2013, 06:13 PM
:biglaugh:

REAL Vermont maple syrup. I'm in it to win it! Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing. Oh my, I was just threatened with a month of no cooking if I even start to play and sing Shipoopi. I am not kidding and I am definitely not loosing a month of my wife's cooking. She's a cruel mistress. I guess someone else will have to do it. There's plenty to choose from.

I can see Buddy Hackett singing it now. My guess is that you'll get the month of cooking back if you win the maple syrup.....

Raygf
08-03-2013, 06:32 PM
I can see Buddy Hackett singing it now. My guess is that you'll get the month of cooking back if you win the maple syrup.....

Can't/won't risk it. Not even for a week. A month is way too long for one song. I could sing plenty of others that would improve my already incredible fringe benefits. Got a laugh from the Mrs. Score!

Raygf
08-03-2013, 06:42 PM
SNL opened with a rerun of Anne Hathaway hosting and the cast singing a One Day More parody. It fired up the Mrs. She works union wardrobe for touring Broadway musicals.

TCK
08-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Ray- you are killing me right now. HILARIOUS.
MMM SYRUP...now to wait six hours (as if the video was not already done).
I have no clue about musicals (well-a couple), this is going to be an education Fred, tons of fun I am certain. Thanks for hosting for us and the yummy prizes (32 ounces? I could bathe in that...)

frisbee fred
08-03-2013, 07:01 PM
this is going to be an education Fred, tons of fun I am certain.

Now you know how I felt during the Texas songwriter week :-)

TCK
08-03-2013, 07:09 PM
True story I am sure- off to study up...surprising how many songs have been on Broadway that you would not expect.
Now you know how I felt during the Texas songwriter week :-)

TCK
08-03-2013, 09:42 PM
I don't know Dave...my god. 3 hours and 19 minutes to post time. I am going to die slowly tonight

TCK
08-03-2013, 11:29 PM
one hour and thirty minutes til I can post it...slowly dying.

redpaul1
08-04-2013, 12:27 AM
one hour and thirty minutes til I can post it...slowly dying.

Ha! I've already seen what's coming - a bravura performance fo'sho!

TCK
08-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Right then- here it is 3 AM in California and I am patiently sitting and waiting (yes- I stayed up all night for this) to post this video at the exact time noted in the rules, because this is the only song I know for this season. I will find more, so you are not off the hook yet Fred, but this came to me IMMEDIATELY.
When I was 16, we all had bikes. Some of us scooters (I myself am a Vespa guy), some of us motorcycles, but we all were mates. Every Friday we would put on union suits...I am still not sure why we did that other than the fact that we were a bunch of horses asses...and we would ride the 20 miles to the New Varsity Theater in them.
This was a special place for me, because at one point long before I was alive, my grandfather had owned this theater, and all the other great old theaters along that stretch of the El Camino. I never met him, but I have been in all his theaters.
In any event- I digress. We did this in search of one thing...GIRLS. It seemed that the girls all clustered around a bizarre ritual known as the Rocky Horror Picture Show. In any event- this ritual went on long enough for us to forget the fact that we were there for the girls and really start to pay attention to what was on the screen...which brings us back to the original point I was trying to make.
This failed miserably on Broadway as far as I can tell, but it will always encapsulate an awesome part of my childhood. Hello season 77- and good night seasonistas. I leave you with this for this evening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybe6u9Z5ajw
Cue big red lips.

pabrizzer
08-04-2013, 01:08 AM
One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATMnRyQKZzE

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 01:24 AM
yet another from south pacific...

:D One song talks about how great women are, one is about a man playing a woman, and one is you saying how pretty you are........

They are from two of my favorite shows - can't wait to see your "real entries"!

pabrizzer
08-04-2013, 01:36 AM
Two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvVXOAjWmOY

Smokey Joe's Cafe is a musical revue showcasing 39 pop standards, including rock and roll and rhythm and blues songs written by songwriters Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. The Original Broadway cast recording, Smokey Joe's Cafe: The Songs Of Leiber And Stoller, won a Grammy award in 1996.
After a Los Angeles tryout, the revue opened on Broadway in 1995, running for 2,036 performances, making it the longest-running musical revue in Broadway history.[1] It also had a London run in 1996. According to wiki.

I got the song from the playlist - it has also been done by the Beatles.

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Right then- here it is 3 AM in California and I am patiently sitting and waiting (yes- I stayed up all night for this) to post this video at the exact time noted in the rules, because this is the only song I know for this season. I will find more, so you are not off the hook yet Fred, but this came to me IMMEDIATELY.
When I was 16, we all had bikes. Some of us scooters (I myself am a Vespa guy), some of us motorcycles, but we all were mates. Every Friday we would put on union suits...I am still not sure why we did that other than the fact that we were a bunch of horses asses...and we would ride the 20 miles to the New Varsity Theater in them.
This was a special place for me, because at one point long before I was alive, my grandfather had owned this theater, and all the other great old theaters along that stretch of the El Camino. I never met him, but I have been in all his theaters.
In any event- I digress. We did this in search of one thing...GIRLS. It seemed that the girls all clustered around a bizarre ritual known as the Rocky Horror Picture Show. In any event- this ritual went on long enough for us to forget the fact that we were there for the girls and really start to pay attention to what was on the screen...which brings us back to the original point I was trying to make.
This failed miserably on Broadway as far as I can tell, but it will always encapsulate an awesome part of my childhood. Hello season 77- and good night seasonistas. I leave you with this for this evening:

Cue big red lips.

Yes!!! Great choice my friend. Actually you lost your street cred with the Vespa. But you totally got it back with this song choice. In 1981 I was living in center city Philadelphia. Rocky Horror the movie was playing every Friday and Saturday night a midnight. This was at the height of it's popularity. For a year friends of mine and I would go down to see it. I saw it 27 times. It was an amazing audience participation event. Those who saw it back then know what I'm talking about. Perfect first entry for this Season.

BTW, that is a heck of an eye tattoo......

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 01:45 AM
One.

A tribute to your ability that you can take a song that is being sung by a young girl who is being abused in life and make it your own. Very haunting and really well done.

And a perfect hat for Les Mis....

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 01:51 AM
Two.

This is hot. Love the blues so an old blues song from Broadway is perfect. What show was this in?

UncleMoon
08-04-2013, 02:48 AM
Two.

This was great Pa! This is one of my favorite songs from Honeyboy Edwards. You did him justice for sure.

pabrizzer
08-04-2013, 03:44 AM
This is hot. Love the blues so an old blues song from Broadway is perfect. What show was this in?
Thanks Fred and UncleMoon.
Smokey Joe's Cafe.
I've added info in my original post.

wee_ginga_yin
08-04-2013, 04:44 AM
Song from the Broadway show Ain't misbehaving.

The musical is a tribute to the black musicians of the 1920s and '30s who were part of the Harlem Renaissance,
an era of growing creativity, cultural awareness, and ethnic pride, and takes its title from the 1929 Waller song
"Ain't Misbehavin'". It was a time when Manhattan like the Cotton Club and the Savoy Ballroom were the playgrounds of
high society and Lenox Avenue dives were filled with piano players banging out the new beat known as swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuQ2tvN3Jsw

DWitt
08-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Great work with this! I like the general take on it, and the double stops and other melodic elements are particularly nice.

One.

DWitt
08-04-2013, 05:43 AM
[gets rice ready]

This was great, and great fun, and a trip down memory lane for me as well! Speaking of which . . . exactly which years were you hanging around University Ave.? Not somewhere in the 1992–95 range, by chance . . ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybe6u9Z5ajw
Cue big red lips.

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Song from the Broadway show Ain't misbehaving.

The musical is a tribute to the black musicians of the 1920s and '30s who were part of the Harlem Renaissance,
an era of growing creativity, cultural awareness, and ethnic pride, and takes its title from the 1929 Waller song
"Ain't Misbehavin'". It was a time when Manhattan like the Cotton Club and the Savoy Ballroom were the playgrounds of
high society and Lenox Avenue dives were filled with piano players banging out the new beat known as swing.

I like your interpretation of this song. Very wistful. Some excellent songs from that show.

Tootler
08-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Many years ago, at the age of 11, my parents took me to see the movie of Oklahoma. All I remember of it now are some vague impressions apart from the opening scene with Curly wandering through the fields singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning". Our choir did a selection from Oklahoma in the Easter Concert so I decided to have a go at "Oh What a Beautiful Morning". After looking through a few chord sites, I found it could be accompanied just fine with a simple I, IV V(7) sequence so here is my effort.

http://youtu.be/6y-EIHecWFI

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 06:20 AM
Many years ago, at the age of 11, my parents took me to see the movie of Oklahoma. All I remember of it now are some vague impressions apart from the opening scene with Curly wandering through the fields singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning". Our choir did a selection from Oklahoma in the Easter Concert so I decided to have a go at "Oh What a Beautiful Morning". After looking through a few chord sites, I found it could be accompanied just fine with a simple I, IV V(7) sequence so here is my effort.

All right Geoff! Nice job with the vocals on this. Not an easy song to sing.

UkeyDave
08-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Here's a non-entry I prepared earlier (back in May). Along with some photographs of mine of the English Countryside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_V9LkYdug

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Here's a non-entry I prepared earlier. (back in May)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_V9LkYdug

Excellent non-entry, Dave! Looking forward to the real ones...

decaturcomp
08-04-2013, 08:22 AM
sorry for the interruption (consider this a stage announcement?)

If you're a seasonista who hasn't contributed to the Seasonista Anthem please go and do so as soon as you can. It's a fun challenge and Ginny and Bill and the other contributors have worked hard to make it inclusive for all of us. You'll be glad you did when the project is done but the time is now, mmmmkay?

(we now return you to your regularly scheduled program already in progress)

redpaul1
08-04-2013, 08:40 AM
It was with great dismay that I discovered that Silence! The Musical only ever appeared off-Broadway. Some cracking tunes in that show, I can tell you.

Anyway, this is one of the trickiest songs I've ever attempted. I love the tune, but it's full of chromatic runs, m7b5 chords and the melody modulates key on virtually every phrase. The base key's pretty weird too. I love this tune so much I actually bought the sheet music as a digital download from Musicroom. Before downloading, I transposed the original up 4 semitones with the intention of putting the chorus in the key of E, but the verse (which I didn't attempt!) in the original is in Eb, with the chorus in C. This completely confused the Musicroom transposition software, which kept the accidentals as flats rather than sharps. So I'm playing this in Fb!

One day I'll get this right. Note to self. Take a breath after "Is this Granada I see?"

http://youtu.be/cBlIz2F9i1U

barefootgypsy
08-04-2013, 08:42 AM
sorry for the interruption (consider this a stage announcement?)

If you're a seasonista who hasn't contributed to the Seasonista Anthem please go and do so as soon as you can. It's a fun challenge and Ginny and Bill and the other contributors have worked hard to make it inclusive for all of us. You'll be glad you did when the project is done but the time is now, mmmmkay?

(we now return you to your regularly scheduled program already in progress)Mmmmmm on to it Alan.... God how I hate Bb......

strumsilly
08-04-2013, 08:58 AM
I've always liked this tune. My camera was set on night so the sun did some weird things to it. I also had to orchestrate the cicadas, who tried their hardest, bless their little hearts, they seem to have a mind of their own.

http://youtu.be/eMOs9RcCNsY

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 09:15 AM
It was with great dismay that I discovered that Silence! The Musical only ever appeared off-Broadway. Some cracking tunes in that show, I can tell you.

Anyway, this is one of the trickiest songs I've ever attempted. I love the tune, but it's full of chromatic runs, m7b5 chords and the melody modulates key on virtually every phrase. The base key's pretty weird too. I love this tune so much I actually bought the sheet music as a digital download from Musicroom. Before downloading, I transposed the original down 4 semitones with the intention of putting the chorus in the key of E, but the verse (which I didn't attempt!) in the original is in C, with the chorus in Ab. This completely confused the Musicroom transposition software, which kept the accidentals as flats rather than sharps. So I'm playing this in Fb!

One day I'll get this right. Note to self. Take a breath after "Is this Granada I see?"

Nice playing Redpaul1. Love Cole Porter. I've heard this song for a long time but never new it came from a Broadway show. Thanks for posting this.

TCK
08-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Haha Fred, clearly you did not see Quadrophenia on Broadway ;)
See- precisely why I stayed up so late, had to open the show with it- just did not work any other way.
Glad it jogged a good memory, thanks for the opportunity to play it. I could only improve it if Melissa was here yelling the audience participation parts. Her contempt for the back row is great.

Yes!!! Great choice my friend. Actually you lost your street cred with the Vespa. But you totally got it back with this song choice. In 1981 I was living in center city Philadelphia. Rocky Horror the movie was playing every Friday and Saturday night a midnight. This was at the height of it's popularity. For a year friends of mine and I would go down to see it. I saw it 27 times. It was an amazing audience participation event. Those who saw it back then know what I'm talking about. Perfect first entry for this Season.

BTW, that is a heck of an eye tattoo......

Glad to jog a memory for you as well DWitt. I was down town 87-91, but many of the punk kids left there in that range are my old friends. Fortunately for me college intervened and sitting down town all day became a memory...albeit a great one. The Varsity is now a Barnes and Noble, which is kind of criminal

[gets rice ready]

This was great, and great fun, and a trip down memory lane for me as well! Speaking of which . . . exactly which years were you hanging around University Ave.? Not somewhere in the 1992–95 range, by chance . . ?

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 09:33 AM
TCK - I saw Quadrophenia a few times in the movie theatre. And Sting definitely lost street cred with that Vespa......

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 09:37 AM
I've always liked this tune. My camera was set on night so the sun did some weird things to it. I also had to orchestrate the cicadas, who tried their hardest, bless their little hearts, they seem to have a mind of their own.

"It's no sin to be poor. But it's no great honor either....." Nice job on a great song, Andy. Great effect with the streaks of sunlight!

TCK
08-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Hmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-8RxoPcNCU

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Hmmm

:rotfl: I rest my case......

bonesigh
08-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Ginny "I Feel Pretty" is the first song that came to my mind too (:

xommen
08-04-2013, 10:11 AM
My entry from my holiday location so some extra noise ;).
This is rise above from the Spider-Man musical that Bono and the Edge did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qab-SkCPFs

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 10:46 AM
My entry from my holiday location so some extra noise ;). I uploaded from my phone, and YouTube seem to still be processing.
This is rise up from the Spider-Man musical that Bono and the Edge did.

On your vacation? Where are you? That's real dedication to the Seasons. Beautiful song and very well done as usual.

xommen
08-04-2013, 10:52 AM
On your vacation? Where are you? That's real dedication to the Seasons. Beautiful song and very well done as usual.

I was thinking about skipping when I saw the theme but then I found a Bone/the Edge musical so I had to do something from that. We are camping in the east of the Netherlands in a place called Zelhem, its about 45 minutes from our home, really nice location and lots of people we meet once a year.

uke4ia
08-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Oh my, I was just threatened with a month of no cooking if I even start to play and sing Shipoopi.

Your wife is a wise woman. That still leaves Pick a Little, Talk a Little.

peewee
08-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Jeezum Crow, Fred, a whole quart of syrup!
I finally made it to Vermont at sugaring time this spring, having spent summers and some winter holidays there for decades, and it was so satisfying to finally see and smell it in action. We stopped on the way back to the airport at a pancake breakfast at a sugar house in Cornwall (http://www.breadloafviewfarm.com/index.php) to benefit local HS baseball, and the syrup was hot out of the evaporator in a 48 oz beer pitcher. MMMMMMMMMMM--MMMMMM-MMMMM!!
[TCK mode on]
So Broadway shows..with all due respect to our musical theater pro Mattydee, I have had a hard time connecting to musical theater in general, but there was one LP in the stack of records that I was allowed to play as a kid that, along with the Woodstock soundtrack, provided my first glimpse of the 60s subculture. I'm not sure what my Mom was thinking letting (encouraging!) her darling 2nd grader listen to this record, but times were clearly different.
[TCK mode off]
Sodomy, from Hair (NSFW)

http://youtu.be/uVOcz34-2-g

I have been on a job from hell, had to give last week a total miss, and probably won't have time to arrange my 7 part uke version of Sorrow Tears and Blood from Fela! anytime soon...I'll lurk through the playlist when I can. Carry on Seasonistas!

TCK
08-04-2013, 01:10 PM
I foolishly thought I had the shock of this week cornered...I was wrong. So very wrong.
The tears streaming down my face as I type are from the hardest laugh I think I have ever had. PeeWee- this video is like Christmas in August man. Superb.
I finally made it to Vermont at sugaring time this spring, having spent summers and some winter holidays there for decades, and it was so satisfying to finally see and smell it in action. We stopped on the way back to the airport at a pancake breakfast at a sugar house in Cornwall (http://www.breadloafviewfarm.com/index.php) to benefit local HS baseball, and the syrup was hot out of the evaporator in a 48 oz beer pitcher. MMMMMMMMMMM--MMMMMM-MMMMM!!
[TCK mode on]
So Broadway shows..with all due respect to our musical theater pro Mattydee, I have had a hard time connecting to musical theater in general, but there was one LP in the stack of records that I was allowed to play as a kid that, along with the Woodstock soundtrack, provided my first glimpse of the 60s subculture. I'm not sure what my Mom was thinking letting (encouraging!) her darling 2nd grader listen to this record, but times were clearly different.
[TCK mode off]
Sodomy, from Hair (NSFW)

I have been on a job from hell, had to give last week a total miss, and probably won't have time to arrange my 7 part uke version of Sorrow Tears and Blood from Fela! anytime soon...I'll lurk through the playlist when I can. Carry on Seasonistas!

UncleMoon
08-04-2013, 01:37 PM
[TCK mode on]
[TCK mode off]
Sodomy, from Hair (NSFW)

http://youtu.be/uVOcz34-2-g

You know - I was flipping through rock musicals this morning, and Hair came up, and I remember my folks having this record too. I recall my dad telling the story how they saw the show live in Chicago. Apparently I never listened to the record close enough, because my & my buddies way back when surely would have stood around the console stereo giggling like the 7 year-olds we were.

Well played. An opportunity to use NSFW words, subject matter, AND play the uke, all within the confines of the contest rules. This deserves an extra point.

erivel
08-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Here's my entry from the musical Mama Mia! Enjoy! :)

http://youtu.be/gJahqJ8eb20

TCK
08-04-2013, 02:34 PM

I think this is my tenth view of this video Eric. This is epic. Seriously.

erivel
08-04-2013, 03:42 PM

Thanks man! I had a heck of a time trying to get the main track done. The strum pattern was throwing me off. The extra tracks were an afterthought as I was just going to do this as a single vox and uke track.

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 03:53 PM
[TCK mode on]
[TCK mode off]
Sodomy, from Hair (NSFW)

2nd Grade??! Oh man, I practically fell out of my chair when I saw the song. You definitely get the daring award......

frisbee fred
08-04-2013, 03:59 PM

That was outstanding, Eric! Love Abba and your multi-tracking is excellent.

redpaul1
08-04-2013, 04:22 PM

You were just checking out the owls in back ;p #subliminal

But seriously. Indeed epic.

decaturcomp
08-04-2013, 07:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWNocNGJH5g

mattydee
08-04-2013, 07:22 PM
So Broadway shows..with all due respect to our musical theater pro Mattydee, I have had a hard time connecting to musical theater in general...

Even though I sometimes do them for a living, I have a hard time connecting to a lot of musicals, too. Not all of them, and certainly not as a rule. But my wife hates them. So there you are.

Here is a playlist of songs I've done that fit the theme—for seasons and contests past—for a moldy oldies bonus playlist should one appear. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7sm323xQS8yuelfcwBmO_BsE772rhw9j

I have a few that I will try work up for this season. If time permits (and it just may this week) I'd love to get three entries in in three very different musical theater styles...

greenie44
08-04-2013, 07:29 PM

Fantastic again, Eric! Take 17, really?

erivel
08-04-2013, 08:26 PM
That was outstanding, Eric! Love Abba and your multi-tracking is excellent.

Thanks so much Fred! I was striking out on Luck Be a Lady...Abba's more up my alley. :)

You were just checking out the owls in back ;p #subliminal

But seriously. Indeed epic.

Thanks redpaul1! Indeed my trick to lure Dave in...

Fantastic again, Eric! Take 17, really?

Thanks greenie! 17 fo reals! I usually am a 3 take max kinda guy, but this song was kicking my butt!

Tootler
08-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Even though I sometimes do them for a living, I have a hard time connecting to a lot of musicals, too. Not all of them, and certainly not as a rule. But my wife hates them. So there you are.

Here is a playlist of songs I've done that fit the theme—for seasons and contests past—for a moldy oldies bonus playlist should one appear. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7sm323xQS8yuelfcwBmO_BsE772rhw9j

I have a few that I will try work up for this season. If time permits (and it just may this week) I'd love to get three entries in in three very different musical theater styles...

I'm not a fan of musicals either, but selections from them is something of a staple for our choir. Over the past 2 years, we've done selections from Les Miserables, JC Superstar, Phantom of the Opera and Oklahoma! Our pianist was surprised when I said I had never seen Les Miserables.

However, I have found a list of rock musicals which will provide me with plenty material to choose from for more entries.

Lesley, I don't much like Bb either so I used a uke tuned Bb for the Seasonistas anthem.

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 02:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWNocNGJH5g

A beautiful song beautifully done.

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 02:39 AM

Here's hoping time permits!

The Ukelites
08-05-2013, 02:52 AM
Fred, what a challenging theme!
After the last multitrack (and all the work with it) we liked to keep it simple this time: single track!
Our song is "Love Me or Leave Me", a popular standard Jazz song from the 1920s. It was introduced in the Broadway play Whoopee!, which opened in December 1928. Ruth Etting's performance of the song was so popular that she was also given the song to sing in the play Simple Simon, which opened in February 1930. Hope you'll like it! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1-8EnU9kOc

Shady Wilbury
08-05-2013, 02:53 AM
I'm struggling to find a song for this week, I have to say. Not really a fan of musicals, although there are two songs that immediately came to mind. Neither of them are songs I could do any justice, though. :)

The Ukelites
08-05-2013, 02:55 AM
I'm struggling to find a song for this week, I have to say. Not really a fan of musicals, although there are two songs that immediately came to mind. Neither of them are songs I could do any justice, though. :)

I think this might help: http://parkrumors.com/forum/index.php?/topic/365-100-must-hear-broadway-songs/:D

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 03:02 AM
Fred, what a challenging theme!
After the last multitrack (and all the work with it) we liked to keep it simple this time: single track!
Our song is "Love Me or Leave Me", a popular standard Jazz song from the 1920s. It was introduced in the Broadway play Whoopee!, which opened in December 1928. Ruth Etting's performance of the song was so popular that she was also given the song to sing in the play Simple Simon, which opened in February 1930. Hope you'll like it! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1-8EnU9kOc

I love how you jazzed up this classic torch song. You guys make it seem so easy - which shows how great your musical ability is. My Dad had every recording of Ruth Etting so things brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for posting this!

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 03:04 AM

Shady - Maybe I can give you a hand. Give me a genre and/or a couple of artists that you like and I bet I can find you some songs that have been on Broadway....

Shady Wilbury
08-05-2013, 03:17 AM
PM sent. :)

ukuLily Mars
08-05-2013, 04:54 AM
I think this might help: http://parkrumors.com/forum/index.php?/topic/365-100-must-hear-broadway-songs/:D
Useful list, and it covers some often-neglected territory, but if anyone is interested in The Fantasticks, it should be noted it's never been on Broadway. Well, it has been on Broadway in the literal sense in that the Snapple Theatre's street address is Broadway, but it is an off-Broadway show. Those don't count, do they, Fred? (But still, if you are stuck, check out the list. That was the only show I noticed that was OB only.)

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 05:02 AM
Useful list, and it covers some often-neglected territory, but if anyone is interested in The Fantasticks, it should be noted it's never been on Broadway. Well, it has been on Broadway in the literal sense in that the Snapple Theatre's street address is Broadway, but it is an off-Broadway show. Those don't count, do they, Fred? (But still, if you are stuck, check out the list. That was the only show I noticed that was OB only.)

Sadly, The Snapple theatre is considered off-Broadway so The Fantastiks would not count. Some great music from that show, though. I suspect that off-Broadway shows would be a possible Season sometime.....

mattydee
08-05-2013, 05:13 AM
Little Shop Of Horrors also never had a Broadway run. It started Off- and had a West End run, (and of course, a famous movie adaptation), but never made it to Broadway.

ukuLily Mars
08-05-2013, 05:39 AM
Little Shop Of Horrors also never had a Broadway run. It started Off- and had a West End run, (and of course, a famous movie adaptation), but never made it to Broadway.
Actually, there was a revival that ran on Broadway in 2003. Howard Ashman would NOT have approved. It really is not a show suited to a large B'way theatre (according to Ashman, who wrote the thing and should know) and the revival was not very successful. Now, if they had cast mattydee in it, it might have been a different story. (Seriously, I would love to see that. mattydee, would you please let us know if you are ever in Little Shop of Horrors?)

elmann
08-05-2013, 06:31 AM
... I transposed the original down 4 semitones ... This completely confused the Musicroom transposition software
Try www.tabtransposer.com from WS64. Giving also the chord charts.

Tootler
08-05-2013, 07:15 AM

There's a list of Rock Musicals here which might produce something for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rock_musicals

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 07:18 AM
There's a list of Rock Musicals here which might produce something for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rock_musicals

That's a good list - you just have to make sure that the one you choose made it to Broadway :-)

mattydee
08-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Actually, there was a revival that ran on Broadway in 2003. Howard Ashman would NOT have approved. It really is not a show suited to a large B'way theatre (according to Ashman, who wrote the thing and should know) and the revival was not very successful. Now, if they had cast mattydee in it, it might have been a different story. (Seriously, I would love to see that. mattydee, would you please let us know if you are ever in Little Shop of Horrors?)

Well, whaddya know? I had just moved from New York when this happened.

I'd love to do it, Lily. One day, perhaps.

ukuLily Mars
08-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Hey, matty, we could have hung out! I didn't play the ukulele then, but I was still fun. At least I thought so.

This might be useful for anyone still looking -- Internet Broadway Database:
www.ibdb.com

Fred, do songs written for plays produced on Broadway count?

Tootler
08-05-2013, 07:50 AM
The Threepenny Opera, an English version of Brecht's Die Dreigroschenoper which was in turn a re-working of Gay's Beggar's Opera from 18th century London had just 12 performances on Broadway in 1933. Since then there have been a number of successful Broadway productions.

Anyway, this is just the excuse I needed to do Mack the Knife which I have had on the back burner waiting for just such an opportunity.

http://youtu.be/wJVOAvY1rc4

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 07:59 AM
The Threepenny Opera, an English version of Brecht's Die Dreigroschenoper which was in turn a re-working of Gay's Beggar's Opera from 18th century London had just 12 performances on Broadway in 1933. Since then there have been a number of successful Broadway productions.

Anyway, this is just the excuse I needed to do Mack the Knife which I have had on the back burner waiting for just such an opportunity.

One of my favs. Thanks for posting this (the Risa sounds great!). Is that Doll reading a newspaper behind you?

Tootler
08-05-2013, 08:20 AM
That's a good list - you just have to make sure that the one you choose made it to Broadway :-)

Yes, true. Most of them have links to their own page where you can find out whether they did or not.

One of my favs. Thanks for posting this (the Risa sounds great!). Is that Doll reading a newspaper behind you?

Thanks. The doll is checking out a CD I bought last week. :cool:

TCK
08-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Over the last 77 seasons, I have often wondered if Motown is Ukulele illegal. Is there a reason that Motown is almost never done in the four string realm?
Well, my continued education of Broadway led me to this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2VMnF7KFSE&feature=youtu.be

redpaul1
08-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Try www.tabtransposer.com from WS64. Giving also the chord charts.

Thanks. That wouldn't have helped in this case, however. I (purchased &) downloaded* the actual sheet music (http://www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/0559111/details.html) from Musicroom.com, and transposed it on their website prior to printing it off. WS64's site is just for tabs, not for actual sheet music. His chord charts would have been helpful, but I enjoyed working out how to voice all those m7b5 chords myself. (Funnily enough we were just talking about WS64 over here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?83670-Anyone-know-where-WS64-is).)

While we're on the subject of transposition software however, may I recommend tenbyten's Songsheet Generator (http://tenbyten.com/software/songsgen/) [SG]? It's free to download and use, and turns any marked-up piece of text into a proper songsheet, allows transposition, prints out the chord diagrams and allows also the addition of custom chords.
Chordie.com (http://chordie.com) is based on the very same software as SG, and Chordie.com also actually gives you the option of viewing its output as the sort of marked-up text file (the chopro option) that SG uses as its input. So, on the all too many occasions where Chordie.com gets confused because someone's added a line of instructions where it's expecting to find chords as e.g., here (http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.allcountrytabs.com/tabs/frank-sinatra/dancing-in-the-dark-9975.html)(4th line in), you can output the confused file into text format, clean it up, run it through Songsheet Generator and get exactly what the OP originally intended.

SG, and Chordify (http://chordify.net), are my two favourite resources for working out songs for which I can't find the tabs or the sheet music online.

*To clarify, for copyright reasons, you can't actually download Musicroom output to your computer; only to your printer. Once you've bought a copy of the sheet music, you can print it off, but you can't save it to your computer. You can't redirect the print output to a PDF either. So you have to choose the key before commiting to your physical copy (Of course there's nothing to stop you scanning it back in once you've printed it off...)

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Over the last 77 seasons, I have often wondered if Motown is Ukulele illegal. Is there a reason that Motown is almost never done in the four string realm?
Well, my continued education of Broadway led me to this-

From Motown: The Musical. Great interpretation of the song. A soulfulness and longing that you don't really hear in the original, I think. Well done. (Though I was kind of hoping you would do Hot Patootie.....)

TCK
08-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Melissa said no Harley in the living room- but Melissa is out of town again :)
From Motown: The Musical. Great interpretation of the song. A soulfulness and longing that you don't really hear in the original, I think. Well done. (Though I was kind of hoping you would do Hot Patootie.....)

redpaul1
08-05-2013, 09:19 AM

Motown - the musical? I'm there! Oh - & everything Fred sez!

TCK
08-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Totally Paul...time to get your Soul on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motown:_The_Musical
Motown - the musical? I'm there! Oh - & everything Fred sez!

GinnyT11
08-05-2013, 09:41 AM
http://youtu.be/Evc76grQh4k

Here's one from one of the most popular Broadway shows ever.

decaturcomp
08-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Rocky's not-so-rocky theatrical history (possibly goosed by the popularity of the movie once on the midnight circuit). Broadway may not have loved it but it's still in release as a film and has the record for the longest continuous release or something kinda like that:

'...the original London production of the musical premiered at the Royal Court Theatre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Court_Theatre)(Upstairs) on 19 June 1973 before moving to several other locations and closing on 13 September 1980, running for a total of 2,960 performances and winning the 1973 Evening Standard Award (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evening_Standard_Award) for Best Musical. Its 1974 debut in the US in Los Angeles had a successful 9 month run but its 1975 Broadway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadway_theatre) debut lasted only 3 previews and 45 showings despite gaining 1 Tony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Award) nomination and 3 Drama Desk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drama_Desk_Award)nominations. Various international productions have since spanned across 6 of the world's continents as well as West End and Broadway revivals and 8 UK tours." wp

Cue big red lips.[/QUOTE]

UncleMoon
08-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Melissa said no Harley in the living room- but Melissa is out of town again :)

your secret is safe here...

Tootler
08-05-2013, 12:40 PM
A lot of overlap with rock musicals list, but jukebox musicals list is also worth a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jukebox_musical

ukuleledaveey
08-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi all here is my official entry for this week, im not particularly a musical fan, the only one i sort of like is "South Pacific" and "your wagon" oops that's one more than i thought i liked lol.
Anyway this song is from a classic and in its day controversial film and i discovered it was used in the musical production of "Spamalot" which had a run on Broadway.
So ladies and gentlemen , please take your seats ..... here is "Always look on the bright side of life"

http://youtu.be/gDrPCk3SSuY

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Here's one from one of the most popular Broadway shows ever.

A beautiful song from a beautiful lady. Great song choice and very well done. Thanks so much for posting this!

pabrizzer
08-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Hi all here is my official entry for this week, im not particularly a musical fan, the only one i sort of like is "South Pacific" and "your wagon" oops that's one more than i thought i liked lol.
Anyway this song is from a classic and in its day controversial film and i discovered it was used in the musical production of "Spamalot" which had a run on Broadway.
So ladies and gentlemen , please take your seats ..... here is "Always look on the bright side of life"

Great job.
Love this song and your terrific take on it.
"Life of Brian" would have to be one of my favourite movies.
You've helped me decide on my 3rd and final entry - I've been working on one from the same musical.

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 01:56 PM

Ah, you get bonus points for two things. One, you used the Playbill font in your credits at the start. Two, you did a song from Spamalot. I'm obsessed with Monty Python and love this show. Thanks for posting this.

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Great job.
Love this song and your terrific take on it.
"Life of Brian" would have to be one of my favourite movies.
You've helped me decide on my 3rd and final entry - I've been working on one from the same musical.

The Song That Goes Like This? Find Your Grail?

pabrizzer
08-05-2013, 03:44 PM
The Song That Goes Like This? Find Your Grail?

Ah. Fred you are on to me.
I'm thinking Find Your Grail.

Does anyone know if Dear Prudence has been done on Broadway?
I can't find a song list for Let It Be that is currently being done.

Although that Motown list looks tasty.....

redpaul1
08-05-2013, 04:07 PM
TCK - I saw Quadrophenia a few times in the movie theatre. And Sting definitely lost street cred with that Vespa......

'Quadrophenia' ties with 'The Cook, The Thief, The Wife And His Lover' for the title of the worst movie I ever laid down cold hard cash to see. Don't get me started. I could be here all night.

Anyway, back to business...

Totally Paul...time to get your Soul on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motown:_The_Musical

So, and on TCK's recommendation, may I present my second entry, taken from said musical. I'm quite pleased with myself for working out all the chords for this. It does *whispers* sound better on guitar though. You really need that bass. Still that said, I think it still works (YMMV).

http://youtu.be/FkyR_22a1Wc

redpaul1
08-05-2013, 04:23 PM
And another from the same musical. Once again, Songsheet Generator came to the rescue in cleaning up a very sketchy tab.*

http://youtu.be/w-P3h7fzi1c

So that's my third strike and I'm out. Gotta get ready for Rebellion (http://www.rebellionfestivals.com/bands/). :) Have fun the rest of the week!

post #81

greenie44
08-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Fred - Are duplicate entries OK (a repeat of a song someone else already did)? Thanks.

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Ah. Fred you are on to me.
I'm thinking Find Your Grail.

Does anyone know if Dear Prudence has been done on Broadway?
I can't find a song list for Let It Be that is currently being done.

Although that Motown list looks tasty.....

Well, it wasn't in Beatlemania or Rain. I can't seem to get a song list for Let it Be. Probably because it opened only about two weeks ago. If I get something I'll let you know.

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Fred - Are duplicate entries OK (a repeat of a song someone else already did)? Thanks.

Duplicates are great!

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 04:47 PM
'Quadrophenia' ties with 'The Cook, The Thief, The Wife And His Lover' for the title of the worst movie I ever laid down cold hard cash to see. Don't get me started. I could be here all night.

Anyway, back to business...

So, and on TCK's recommendation, may I present my second entry, taken from said musical. I'm quite pleased with myself for working out all the chords for this. It does *whispers* sound better on guitar though. You really need that bass. Still that said, I think it still works (YMMV).

Can feel the pain of losing someone in your song. Like the strumming pattern you came up with for this as it echoes the original.

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 04:51 PM
And another from the same musical. Once again, Songsheet Generator came to the rescue in cleaning up a very sketchy tab.*

So that's my third strike and I'm out. Gotta get ready for Rebellion (http://www.rebellionfestivals.com/bands/). :) Have fun the rest of the week!

Wow. Love this interpretation. Kind of like Dylan meets Motown. Thanks for posting this. And thanks for doing your quota of three!

redpaul1
08-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Can feel the pain of losing someone in your song. Like the strumming pattern you came up with for this as it echoes the original.

Wow. Love this interpretation. Kind of like Dylan meets Motown. Thanks for posting this. And thanks for doing your quota of three!

Thanks, Fred!

Hippie Dribble
08-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks for a really inspiring week Fred. This is a song written by the great Noel Coward in the throes of a nervous breakdown in late 1927. He was in Hawaii recuperating with friends and apparently, the words and melody came to him while lying on the beach, soaking in the sun. (Backstory in the liner notes.) 'A Room With A View' first appeared in This Year of Grace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Year_of_Grace), a revue which played in London and Broadway in 1928. It has gone on to become one of Coward's most enduring pieces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF24HVtNv1Y

frisbee fred
08-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks for a really inspiring week Fred. This is a song written by the great Noel Coward in the throes of a nervous breakdown in late 1927. He was in Hawaii recuperating with friends and apparently, the words and melody came to him while lying on the beach, soaking in the sun. (Backstory in the liner notes.) 'A Room With A View' first appeared in This Year of Grace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Year_of_Grace), a revue which played in London and Broadway in 1928. It has gone on to become one of Coward's most enduring pieces.

Great old song, Eugene. You do it so well. I love how you put so much of yourself into your performances. I really enjoyed that.

UkeyDave
08-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Oh yes indeedy. Who'd have thought it. Green Day on Broadway. Well then, I'm off to practice then. I've got my choice in the bag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idiot_(musical)

Tootler
08-05-2013, 10:17 PM

As I said on You Tube, go for it. Looking forward to your version.

TCK
08-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Thanks for posting this. And thanks for doing your quota of three!
Argh- just re-read the rules...
Only three.
The kid is crestfallen, and panning Rick James for another season.

UkeyDave
08-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Here's my warts and all entry. It's very rough around the edges and contains errors in the singing and chord changing bits but I really don't feel like doing 354 takes today. I'm in a "I don't really give a shit" mode and it is Green Day after all.
Well, that's rock n rock for you so it'll just have to do. Lets call it "Broadway with attitude". lol ;) Enjoy anyway. :rock:
Oh yes and it's from the American Idiot musical on Broadway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce3SI8XVXT8

frisbee fred
08-06-2013, 01:27 AM
Here's my warts and all entry. It's very rough around the edges and contains errors in the singing and chord changing bits but I really don't feel like doing 354 takes today. I'm in a "I don't really give a shit" mode and it is Green Day after all.
Well, that's rock n rock for you so it'll just have to do. Lets call it "Broadway with attitude". lol ;) Enjoy anyway. :rock:
Oh yes and it's from the American Idiot musical on Broadway

Well done, Dave! I had not heard of the show before. Really nice song and I like the chords going up the neck. Thanks for posting this.

redpaul1
08-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Great old song, Eugene. You do it so well. I love how you put so much of yourself into your performances. I really enjoyed that.

You start running out of superlatives, don't you*?

* doesn't one?

bonesigh
08-06-2013, 04:58 AM
Cover your eyes..........this is an awful video! But, hey, the kid wanted to have some fun, so what the heck. I've had a lot of fun this week so far. Next week might be spent watching a lot of old musicals (:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnnvzXDoCUI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUtvw_jkcOb--odK8_2JYyvw

frisbee fred
08-06-2013, 05:03 AM
Cover your eyes..........this is an awful video! But, hey, the kid wanted to have some fun, so what the heck. I've had a lot of fun this week so far. Next week might be spent watching a lot of old musicals (:

Love how the camera pans on the parakeets when you start singing about chicks and ducks! I sang along with you. Oklahoma! has been around so long it has become cliche but I still like the music. Nice job. Kudos to the camera man.

GinnyT11
08-06-2013, 07:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whB1GqNw51o

This may be the first week I've done a second song.
This is sort of a mindfulness lesson, in a jumpin' syncopated way.

wee_ginga_yin
08-06-2013, 07:11 AM
From MOTOWN:- The musical.

"You're Nobody till Somebody Loves You" is a popular (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music) song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song) written by Russ Morgan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Morgan), Larry Stock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Stock), and James Cavanaugh and published in 1944 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1944_in_music).
The song was first recorded by Morgan and has been covered by numerous artists. It is best known in versions by Dean Martin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Martin), who recorded it for Reprise Records (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reprise_Records)in 1965 and reached #24 on the US pop chart and on the easy listening chart, and by The Mills Brothers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mills_Brothers).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCZgqEjnbgw

frisbee fred
08-06-2013, 07:12 AM
This may be the first week I've done a second song.
This is sort of a mindfulness lesson, in a jumpin' syncopated way.

A second video from Ginny? Who could ask for anything more! Very fun - one more now to go.....

DWitt
08-06-2013, 09:03 AM
This one is from The Music Man, a favorite of mine since I was a child—and now with some additional meaning for me, as I married a librarian and piano teacher. She loves musical theatre, too, but she doesn't like The Music Man at all. And not because of having anything in common with the characters—she disliked The Music Man before she started teaching lessons, and before she became a librarian! So I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkPToGFQZDA

frisbee fred
08-06-2013, 09:29 AM
From MOTOWN:- The musical.

"You're Nobody till Somebody Loves You" is a popular (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music) song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song) written by Russ Morgan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Morgan), Larry Stock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Stock), and James Cavanaugh and published in 1944 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1944_in_music).
The song was first recorded by Morgan and has been covered by numerous artists. It is best known in versions by Dean Martin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Martin), who recorded it for Reprise Records (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reprise_Records)in 1965 and reached #24 on the US pop chart and on the easy listening chart, and by The Mills Brothers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mills_Brothers).

One of the things I like about the Seasons is seeing different interpretations of songs that I know. I grew up listening to the Mills Brothers. Theirs is a "happier" song. Yours seems to fit the lyrics better. Two down, one to go for you......

frisbee fred
08-06-2013, 09:34 AM
This one is from The Music Man, a favorite of mine since I was a child—and now with some additional meaning for me, as I married a librarian and piano teacher. She loves musical theatre, too, but she doesn't like The Music Man at all. And not because of having anything in common with the characters—she disliked The Music Man before she started teaching lessons, and before she became a librarian! So I don't know.

Great musical, great song, and great job! Please tell me your wife's name is not Marian.....

wee_ginga_yin
08-06-2013, 09:40 AM
One of the things I like about the Seasons is seeing different interpretations of songs that I know. I grew up listening to the Mills Brothers. Theirs is a "happier" song. Yours seems to fit the lyrics better. Two down, one to go for you......

I just don't agree with the thesis implicit in the the title... though I do love the chord changes :-)

frisbee fred
08-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Fil just posted over in Season 76 that he was sad he missed a Jerry Garcia week. I PMd him but now think my message should be posted here as well. If you want to do more Jerry Garcia you can. He performed on Broadway for two weeks in October of 1987. You can follow this link and click through to songs that he did with the Jerry Garcia band - all of which will be acceptable for this week. http://www.thebestofwebsite.com/Bands/Jerry_Garcia/Jerry_On_Broadway.htm

Except for Pabrizzer. He already told me his third song would be Find Your Grail......

DWitt
08-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Great musical, great song, and great job! Please tell me your wife's name is not Marian.....

Thanks—and no, no. Also not from Iowa or EyeOhWay . . .

decaturcomp
08-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Actually, "Dear Prudence" was performed at the Lunt-Fontanne on Oct 31, 1987:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Jerry:_Lunt-Fontanne,_New_York_City,_October_31,_1987

Well, it wasn't in Beatlemania or Rain. I can't seem to get a song list for Let it Be. Probably because it opened only about two weeks ago. If I get something I'll let you know.

frisbee fred
08-06-2013, 10:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Jerry:_Lunt-Fontanne,_New_York_City,_October_31,_1987

Too late. He's committed to Spamalot.

pabrizzer
08-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I just don't agree with the thesis implicit in the the title... though I do love the chord changes :-)

Glad you said that I was thinking the same thing as I was listening.

A beaut WGY treatment of the song BTW.

pabrizzer
08-06-2013, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up Alan.

Too late. He's committed to Spamalot.

Yes I will do Find Your Grail before the season ends.

Curt and I did a version of Dear Prudence and it's posted over at Links and Videos.
Nothing like Raygf's classy, beautifully played and sung version from last season.
If you missed that you missed some thing special. See it HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hEDIDgkXbI).
You can check out our version here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6nFx8WgBcg

Raygf
08-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Curt and I did a version of Dear Prudence and it's posted over at Links and Videos.
Nothing like Raygf's classy, beautifully played and sung version from last season.
If you missed that you missed some thing special. See it HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hEDIDgkXbI).
You can check out our version here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6nFx8WgBcg

You are too kind sir. Thank you very much. I love the version you and Curt play.
Rock it pabrizzer!:rock:

Tootler
08-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Here's my third entry.

Buddy Holly's music was part of my teenage years so choosing a song from the musical "Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story" was a must. He was a major influence on a number of UK bands including the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

http://youtu.be/CykMfQq368g

southside mike
08-06-2013, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea07UxqwoJg
Here's my first one which came from "Baby it's You" which had a short run on Broadway.

frisbee fred
08-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Here's my third entry.

Buddy Holly's music was part of my teenage years so choosing a song from the musical "Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story" was a must. He was a major influence on a number of UK bands including the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

Way to rock that harpoon, Geoff! Buddy Holly is a favorite of mine too. Thanks for doing three this season. You clearly are going for the syrup..

frisbee fred
08-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Here's my first one which came from "Baby it's You" which had a short run on Broadway.

Love the song, Mike. I remember the Smokey Robinson version. You held a good beat with the strumming - I was boppin right along with you.

Hochapeafarm
08-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Yay, this week has been so much fun to watch! I just love the entries folks are doing! Thanks so much for hosting a fabulous Season, Fred! I hope you'll enjoy my entry this week -- this is a REALLY TOUGH song to sing, so please pardon me in advance for butchering this beautiful song. The song I'm performing is from the very first Broadway show/musical that I ever saw; I was about thirteen, I think, when I saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvB-14CBL3Q

frisbee fred
08-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Yay, this week has been so much fun to watch! I just love the entries folks are doing! Thanks so much for hosting a fabulous Season, Fred! I hope you'll enjoy my entry this week -- this is a REALLY TOUGH song to sing, so please pardon me in advance for butchering this beautiful song. The song I'm performing is from the very first Broadway show/musical that I ever saw; I was about thirteen, I think, when I saw this.

Bonus points for having a hot new uke that sounds great. Then more bonus points for linking up the beginning credits with the song! I really liked how clear the uke sounded when you were picking. You put a lot of emotion into it and did well with a tough song to sing. Nicely Done!

Dougf
08-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Perhaps Cole Porter's most popular song, Night and Day is from the musical play, "Gay Divorce".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCNccInRUvI

Cornfield
08-06-2013, 06:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLs-mbzfo8&feature=youtu.be
I haven't done a season for a few months. Maybe I'll get back in the groove.
This video probably won't be live for another 20 minutes or so but I'm tired and hitting the sack.

thesillydave
08-06-2013, 09:48 PM
howdy fellow seasonistas! here is my first broadway tune...Night and Day. it's from a cole porter broadway musical ,"Gay Divorce" 1932 happy seasons!

http://youtu.be/5oqxdlKQDwg
cheers!

wee_ginga_yin
08-07-2013, 01:29 AM
"Ol' Man River" (music by Jerome Kern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Kern), lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Hammerstein_II)) is a song in the 1927 musical (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_theater) Show Boat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_Boat) that contrasts the struggles and hardships of African Americans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Americans) with the endless, uncaring flow of the Mississippi River (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_River); it is sung from the point-of-view of a black dock worker on a showboat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showboat), and is the most famous song from the show.

http://youtu.be/NhYpNHYtynM

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 01:37 AM
Perhaps Cole Porter's most popular song, Night and Day is from the musical play, "Gay Divorce".

I remember the Astaire number well. Great jazz version as usual, Doug.

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Heading out for a long hike with my son up a local mountain. I'll comment on the videos (John, SillyDave, Wee Ginga Yin and others who post later) and update the playlist tonight.

strumsilly
08-07-2013, 04:16 AM
Here's one from the Sound of Music, "Edelweiss",
I'm going to redo this without the helicopter

Raygf
08-07-2013, 04:41 AM
Here's a George M. Cohan medley of tunes from the musical George M! The video starts with a shot of Old Glory o'er the ramparts at, yes, you guessed it, Fort McHenry. I was there on Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52sXgsDgrDg

Shady Wilbury
08-07-2013, 06:36 AM
My first entry for Season 77 is a version of 'All My Loving' from Beatlemania. Thanks, Fred, for giving me a hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btulkrdyok&feature=youtu.be

UkeyDave
08-07-2013, 07:10 AM
Here's my second entry. An old classic played on my brand spanking new Gretsch G9100 Soprano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdx0CvLP5ik

DWitt
08-07-2013, 09:39 AM
It's my second entry, also from The Music Man. So, may I play my cross-hand piece now?

This is another favorite of mine, since I was a child. It makes me think of my wife, of course, but I've sung it far more often to my daughter, at bedtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jESU-NpgPVk

Raygf
08-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Here's entry number 2. Makin' Whoopee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExfPXwIN2ME

UkeyDave
08-07-2013, 10:58 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExfPXwIN2ME
Top notch. Thats all.

myrnaukelele
08-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Funny you should mention this. I actually thought about doing a Motown Season last month but went with the Canada theme instead. I'm sure there's a Motown Season waiting in the wings...

Shady Wilbury
08-07-2013, 11:46 AM
I know I only posted one earlier, but here's my second entry...taking full advantage of Jerry's brief stint on Broadway to perform one of my favourite songs, full stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWVHp8wp664

myrnaukelele
08-07-2013, 11:48 AM
This song has actually been in two different Broadway shows. It originally was sung by Judy Holliday and Sydney Chaplin in the musical Bells Are Ringing (1956). It was sung in the 2012 Broadway show End of the Rainbow (a two-act play that included performances of famous Judy Garland tunes).

http://youtu.be/xwMUCWtmvOc
The melody was written by Jule Styne with lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green.

GinnyT11
08-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Nice job, Ray.
Curiously, the Macon Whoopee was the name of two minor-league hockey teams in Georgia. Their mascot was the whooping crane.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Macon-Whoopee/113423332001083#

Raygf
08-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Top notch. Thats all.

Nice job, Ray.

Thank you both!

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 12:44 PM
I haven't done a season for a few months. Maybe I'll get back in the groove.
This video probably won't be live for another 20 minutes or so but I'm tired and hitting the sack.

This is really good. I love the blues so this is a great choice for me this week. Well done with the instrumental at the start too.

uke4ia
08-07-2013, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPe6DCzoDbQ

Sssssshh! Don't let DWitt's wife hear this one. It took me a couple of days before I could play this and sing it at the same time.

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 12:50 PM
howdy fellow seasonistas! here is my first broadway tune...Night and Day. it's from a cole porter broadway musical ,"Gay Divorce" 1932 happy seasons!

cheers!

Your interpretation sounds very personal in the way you have slowed it down. Well done.

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 12:55 PM
"Ol' Man River" (music by Jerome Kern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Kern), lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Hammerstein_II)) is a song in the 1927 musical (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_theater) Show Boat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_Boat) that contrasts the struggles and hardships of African Americans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Americans) with the endless, uncaring flow of the Mississippi River (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_River); it is sung from the point-of-view of a black dock worker on a showboat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showboat), and is the most famous song from the show.

IMHO Showboat is one of the best musicals ever made. The Robeson/Warfield interpretation has the necessary anger needed to capture their experience. Yours is more wistful and longing. Thanks so much for posting these!

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Here's a George M. Cohan medley of tunes from the musical George M! The video starts with a shot of Old Glory o'er the ramparts at, yes, you guessed it, Fort McHenry. I was there on Saturday.

All right Ray! Somebody really wants some syrup, no question. Bonus points for George M. Cohan and doing Give My Regards To Broadway. I was boppin along to the excellent strumming for sure.

wallyboy
08-07-2013, 01:03 PM
great theme fred,
me and the missus are going to see rocky horror picture show this coming monday, so i thought i'd give the time warp a bash, so i can sing along to the show, :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEey0bf_IZk&feature=youtu.be

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 01:05 PM
My first entry for Season 77 is a version of 'All My Loving' from Beatlemania. Thanks, Fred, for giving me a hand.

Glad that you found a song for this week. The uke really sounds great. Well done!

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Here's my second entry. An old classic played on my brand spanking new Gretsch G9100 Soprano.

Bonus points for doing this video with super cool new uke right out of the box (Greta, Jr.). Sounds great and it looks awesome. Once again I'm having uke envy. Like the strumming pattern alot. Very well done, Dave.

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 01:15 PM
It's my second entry, also from The Music Man. So, may I play my cross-hand piece now?

This is another favorite of mine, since I was a child. It makes me think of my wife, of course, but I've sung it far more often to my daughter, at bedtime.

It's clear this song is very personal to you. Your daughter is lucky to have you singing this to her. Great that you did this video so that she will remember you doing it. I really like your picking as it follows what was done in the show. Thanks for posting this.

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 01:20 PM

This is just great on so many levels. Excellent job, Ray

greenie44
08-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Broadway musicals were the earliest soundtrack of my life. My mother used to play records of cast recordings while she worked around the house. All the classics – The Music Man, Oklahoma, Annie Get Your Gun, South Pacific, Carousel. To this day, I feel like I know all the songs from them. These recordings probably started my lifelong love of music, which has given me so much.

I’ve wanted to do this song for a while, even to the point of downloading a karaoke background for it. Tootler’s earlier version convinced me that this could be done with just a uke.

I hope my mother would like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMn056Qteio&feature=youtu.be

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 01:26 PM
I know I only posted one earlier, but here's my second entry...taking full advantage of Jerry's brief stint on Broadway to perform one of my favourite songs, full stop.

This is my favorite of your videos. I have never heard this song before and like it. The fact that you like it comes through. Well sung and nice job, Shady.

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 01:30 PM
This song has actually been in two different Broadway shows. It originally was sung by Judy Holliday and Sydney Chaplin in the musical Bells Are Ringing (1956). It was sung in the 2012 Broadway show End of the Rainbow (a two-act play that included performances of famous Judy Garland tunes).
The melody was written by Jule Styne with lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green.

Beautiful, Myrna. A great song that you nailed. Thanks for posting this.

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Sssssshh! Don't let DWitt's wife hear this one. It took me a couple of days before I could play this and sing it at the same time.

I sang along with you, Uke4ia. Well played and nicely sung. I think you are safe with DWitt since it turns out that his wife is not named Marian....

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 01:45 PM
great theme fred,
me and the missus are going to see rocky horror picture show this coming monday, so i thought i'd give the time warp a bash, so i can sing along to the show, :D

I'm glad you didn't do Toucha Toucha Toucha Touch Me :-) One of my top favorite musicals. I'm jealous that you are going to see it. You have to do the Time Warp at least in the aisle! Thanks for posting this, Walter. Very fun!

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Broadway musicals were the earliest soundtrack of my life. My mother used to play records of cast recordings while she worked around the house. All the classics – The Music Man, Oklahoma, Annie Get Your Gun, South Pacific, Carousel. To this day, I feel like I know all the songs from them. These recordings probably started my lifelong love of music, which has given me so much.

I’ve wanted to do this song for a while, even to the point of downloading a karaoke background for it. Tootler’s earlier version convinced me that this could be done with just a uke.

I hope my mother would like this.

Bonus points for having the exact same experience as me listening to the same Broadway shows for the same reason when we were kids. More bonus points for singing this for your Mom. Great background for this song too. Very well done with the uke. Thanks for posting this.

Raygf
08-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Yes indeed! Excellent Myrna!

frisbee fred
08-07-2013, 02:53 PM
This is a great Season so far! By my count there have been 40 videos. Please make sure that I have yours posted. If not, PM me and I will do so.

myrnaukelele
08-07-2013, 03:44 PM

Yes indeed! Excellent Myrna!

Thanks so much for the kind words. :o
I love this song but it's difficult to sing - I am in awe of Judy Garland who not only sings it with such expression but changes keys three or four time during the song. I had enough difficulty just singing it in one key (E). I learned the chords in the key of F and then couldn't hit the high note so I just tuned my uke down a step (F-Bb-D-G) instead of learning a different chord pattern.

redpaul1
08-07-2013, 05:04 PM
http://youtu.be/xwMUCWtmvOc

For what it's worth, I thought you really surpassed yourself on this one. Lily will probably be regretting you didn't post this in Horseracing week. :)

pabrizzer
08-08-2013, 01:23 AM
My 3rd and final and definitely not to be taken seriously entry.
Done in the wife's car on my mobile phone on slightly out of tune Tom pocket ukulele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDZMw5ppZyU

wee_ginga_yin
08-08-2013, 02:11 AM
IMHO Showboat is one of the best musicals ever made. The Robeson/Warfield interpretation has the necessary anger needed to capture their experience. Yours is more wistful and longing. Thanks so much for posting these!

Paul Robeson did a fantastic version in the movie Showboat 1936. It is a much longer song and it is all about man's inhumanity to man.
He was a pioneer in the civil rights movement in the US, and was blacklisted during McCarthyism. A man of principle and conscience.

frisbee fred
08-08-2013, 02:24 AM
My 3rd and final and definitely not to be taken seriously entry.
Done in the wife's car on my mobile phone on slightly out of tune Tom pocket ukulele.

Words of wisdom if there ever were any. People obsessed with Monty Python (like me) will really appreciate this. Love the big finish to the song too!

DWitt
08-08-2013, 03:46 AM

Nicely done! I looked into learning this one, but decided that doing it well was beyond my current abilities.

decaturcomp
08-08-2013, 03:48 AM
Last Summer I was asked to step in at the last minute to sing some songs for Pirate Week at our local kiddo bookstore "Little Shop of Stories". They're wonderful folks so of course I accepted the challenge. This Summer Camp was largely composed of preteen girls so I decided to sing "The Ballad of Pirate Jenny" from Threepenny Opera. It was surprisingly well received.

This version is based on Lotte Lenya's beautiful performances. I didn't have any sheet music so the uke part is all made up out of my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SAa9ZZ6WQA

frisbee fred
08-08-2013, 04:11 AM
Last Summer I was asked to step in at the last minute to sing some songs for Pirate Week at our local kiddo bookstore "Little Shop of Stories". They're wonderful folks so of course I accepted the challenge. This Summer Camp was largely composed of preteen girls so I decided to sing "The Ballad of Pirate Jenny" from Threepenny Opera. It was surprisingly well received.

This version is based on Lotte Lenya's beautiful performances. I didn't have any sheet music so the uke part is all made up out of my head...

:biglaugh: I feel like giving you some ibuprophren for that head ache. Well done, and thanks for the fun.

ukuLily Mars
08-08-2013, 05:00 AM
For what it's worth, I thought you really surpassed yourself on this one. Lily will probably be regretting you didn't post this in Horseracing week. :)
Darn right! I love that show! But I'll take Myrna doing Bells Are Ringing any week. :smileybounce:

Raygf
08-08-2013, 05:12 AM
Here is my third entry, Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. I've declared it a sing along so I want to hear you singing, harmony too, even on the whistling! Especially on the whistling! I've added the chords here and on youtube if you want to play along. (You've gotta love it. It's an altered Doo-wop cycle!)

Intro
G em am D7​

Verse
am D7 G em
am D7 G em
am D7 G E7
A7 D7 D7+5

Chorus
G em am D7

Key Change
A f#m bm7 E7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVStyBn154U

frisbee fred
08-08-2013, 05:24 AM
Here is my third entry, Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. I've declared it a sing along so I want to hear you singing, harmony too, even on the whistling! Especially on the whistling! I've added the chords here and on youtube if you want to play along. (You've gotta love it. It's an altered Doo-wop cycle!)

Now you are just shamelessly going after the syrup by playing to my Monty Python obsession.....Which is awesome. I got my uke and played/sang along with you.

Raygf
08-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Now you are just shamelessly going after the syrup by playing to my Monty Python obsession.....Which is awesome. I got my uke and played/sang along with you.

Guilty as charged, but there are extenuating circumstances Your Honor. We are talking about Vermont Maple Syrup here! YUM!!! Mercy judge. I beg for mercy and some maple syrup. (He Shoots. He Scores! I hope. I hope. I hope.) :D I'd better stop. Folks will think I'm serious. (Well, maybe just a little.)

myrnaukelele
08-08-2013, 07:27 AM

Darn right! I love that show! But I'll take Myrna doing Bells Are Ringing any week. :smileybounce:
Thanks- so glad you liked it.
Since this song was in two different Broadway shows i thought it especially pertinent for the Season. Lily- I was traveling during your season so was only able to enter one song. Perhaps I'll have to do a (very) late bonus for you.;)

ukuLily Mars
08-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks- so glad you liked it.
Since this song was in two different Broadway shows i thought it especially pertinent for the Season. Lily- I was traveling during your season so was only able to enter one song. Perhaps I'll have to do a (very) late bonus for you.;)
That would be AWESOME!

ukuLily Mars
08-08-2013, 10:13 AM
This might be the earliest I've ever posted! Here is Lullaby of Broadway, by Harry Warren and Al Dubin. It was used in the movie Gold Diggers of 1935, and won the Academy Award for Best Original Song, and kicked around for over forty years before it finally actually made it into a Broadway show: 42nd Street (which itself had been a novel and then a movie about a Broadway show, and which also took over forty years to get to Broadway). When it finally did hit the boards, it was sung by the magnificent Jerry Orbach.

I hope you enjoy it! Loving this theme, Fred. I'm hoping to get another one done this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aDICd4zLDs&feature=youtu.be

barefootgypsy
08-08-2013, 10:25 AM
@ukuLily Mars - that was fabulous, I loved that! I'm off to find those chords! :D You sing it so well, well done there! New uke too? Mmmmm......

ukuLily Mars
08-08-2013, 10:31 AM
@ukuLily Mars - that was fabulous, I loved that! I'm off to find those chords! :D You sing it so well, well done there! New uke too? Mmmmm......
Thank you, Lesley! You're very kind. The chords are from Dr. Uke, and it's fun to play. (Yup! New uke. Spalted mango. Isn't she a beaut?)

southside mike
08-08-2013, 02:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF9FW01M6aE
This one came from Smokey Joe's Café but was made popular by the Drifters And then later by George Benson.

ukuleledaddy
08-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Here's my entry. I was inspired by Eric's fantastic Abba cover so I decided to plop the kids in front of a movie and give multi tracking another try. I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out given that I only had time to do a couple of takes. It gave me the chance to break out my melodica.
Here's Baby It's You from the show of the same name. Mine is based on The Beatles' version.

http://youtu.be/3IyHaJxzVK8

HendrikM
08-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Intro
G em am D7

It might be the fact I am a HUGE Monty Python fan, or it could have been that wee bit o' Jack Daniels I had a while ago, but I picked up my uke and played/sang along. I may be a newbie here, but that was good fun, you have my vote (as if my vote would count) :D
Great job & thanks, I needed a smile today.

Cheers!

~dave~~wave~
08-08-2013, 06:09 PM
My Fair Lady is my favorite Broadway musical.
It debuted in 1956 when I was a toddler, we listened to the original cast soundtrack at our house all through my childhood starring young Julie Andrews.

When I was 9 I saw the Hallmark Hall of Fame TV version of the play Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw that starred Julie Harris as Eliza.
The characters and story were memorable, even at that age I absorbed some of Shaw's wit and satire of the class system.

The next year the popular musical film version with Audrey Hepburn came out.

When i was a junior in high school, our small town did MFL as the annual school musical, and I was drafted for the chorus and a few lines.

So a long history with the fabulous Lerner and Lowe songs.

Gear geek notes:
I made the mistake of stopping the music store today to check out the Ohana line they just started carrying, and left with a tiny sopranino.
On the advice of owner and luthier Bob, I cranked it up to G above standard C tuning, pitching it an octave above a baritone.
Never felt Nylguts stretched so tight, open chords sound like third position, any higher and only dogs could hear them.

http://youtu.be/Cmk3rJMMU1Q

thesillydave
08-08-2013, 09:03 PM
my 2nd entry....

http://youtu.be/I8ZBTkPeL0I
cheers!

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 01:58 AM
This might be the earliest I've ever posted! Here is Lullaby of Broadway, by Harry Warren and Al Dubin. It was used in the movie Gold Diggers of 1935, and won the Academy Award for Best Original Song, and kicked around for over forty years before it finally actually made it into a Broadway show: 42nd Street (which itself had been a novel and then a movie about a Broadway show, and which also took over forty years to get to Broadway). When it finally did hit the boards, it was sung by the magnificent Jerry Orbach.

I hope you enjoy it! Loving this theme, Fred. I'm hoping to get another one done this week.

This is wonderful, Lilly. Vocals and ukulele were both right on. Love the old musicals.

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 02:03 AM
This one came from Smokey Joe's Café but was made popular by the Drifters And then later by George Benson.

I like your videos Mike and look forward to them. Love the laid back arrangement. Thanks for posting this.

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 02:06 AM
Here's my entry. I was inspired by Eric's fantastic Abba cover so I decided to plop the kids in front of a movie and give multi tracking another try. I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out given that I only had time to do a couple of takes. It gave me the chance to break out my melodica.
Here's Baby It's You from the show of the same name. Mine is based on The Beatles' version.

Super job on the background vocals and multitracking. Well done!

Raygf
08-09-2013, 02:09 AM
It might be the fact I am a HUGE Monty Python fan, or it could have been that wee bit o' Jack Daniels I had a while ago, but I picked up my uke and played/sang along. I may be a newbie here, but that was good fun, you have my vote (as if my vote would count) :D
Great job & thanks, I needed a smile today.

Cheers!

All of those work! Thanks for watching, commenting and most of all, for picking up your uke and playing/singing along! Glad my post brightened your day. That's what it's all about!
:)

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 02:10 AM
My Fair Lady is my favorite Broadway musical.
It debuted in 1956 when I was a toddler, we listened to the original cast soundtrack at our house all through my childhood starring young Julie Andrews.

When I was 9 I saw the Hallmark Hall of Fame TV version of the play Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw that starred Julie Harris as Eliza.
The characters and story were memorable, even at that age I absorbed some of Shaw's wit and satire of the class system.

The next year the popular musical film version with Audrey Hepburn came out.

When i was a junior in high school, our small town did MFL as the annual school musical, and I was drafted for the chorus and a few lines.

So a long history with the fabulous Lerner and Lowe songs.

Gear geek notes:
I made the mistake of stopping the music store today to check out the Ohana line they just started carrying, and left with a tiny sopranino.
On the advice of owner and luthier Bob, I cranked it up to G above standard C tuning, pitching it an octave above a baritone.
Never felt Nylguts stretched so tight, open chords sound like third position, any higher and only dogs could hear them.

That was great! My dog was definitely looking up on that Sopranino :D The fun you have really comes through.

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 02:16 AM
my 2nd entry....

cheers!

Cheers back atcha! It's nice to hear another interpretation than Liza's. Well done.

julienstaudt
08-09-2013, 06:02 AM
From the famous musical "the sound of music" on Broadway in 1959.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK8dKzAm9nU

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 07:02 AM
From the famous musical "the sound of music" on Broadway in 1959.

Outstanding! I love that song and love how you played it. Super instrumental at the beginning. Great interpretation of the song - sometimes passionate sometimes wistful. Thanks for posting this, Julien.

decaturcomp
08-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Gear geek notes:

I've been sorta secretly lusting for one of those, too. Nice sound, easy to stash. The case costs more than half what the uke does so I might just wrap it in a croker sack and sling it over my shoulder and mosey off into the woods and away from Aunt Polly's house. A fellah can't hardly breathe in there anyhow.

southside mike
08-09-2013, 08:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw3apf0xl_M
My third entry is a Dave Edmunds song. It is found in "Million Dollar Quartet" which opened on Broadway on April 11, 2010

laura809
08-09-2013, 08:16 AM
I just got my first ukulele last week, a Kamaka HF-3, and thought I would give this a shot. I'm a little shy about singing, and seem to have to transpose everything to even make it feasible. My kids did their best to enhance my lackluster performance skills by attempting to distract me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Wl_c9RgPA

RichM
08-09-2013, 08:35 AM

Little Shop of Horrors enjoyed a brief revival on Broadway in 2003 with Hunter Foster in the role of Seymour. It played for about 10 months.

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=southside mike;1350963 My third entry is a Dave Edmunds song. It is found in "Million Dollar Quartet" which opened on Broadway on April 11, 2010[/QUOTE]

Love Dave Edmunds and didn't know this was in a show. Very strong playing and solid vocals. You kept a great beat as I was movin' with you. Thanks for posting three

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I just got my first ukulele last week, a Kamaka HF-3, and thought I would give this a shot. I'm a little shy about singing, and seem to have to transpose everything to even make it feasible. My kids did their best to enhance my lackluster performance skills by attempting to distract me.

Excellent job! Love the uke and the chorus dancers are outstanding. If this is your first post to the Seasons, Welcome! You are also in luck. I'm giving a special quart of maple syrup to a first-time poster and so far you are the only one we've had this week.

Hochapeafarm
08-09-2013, 11:24 AM

Wonderful, laura809!!! Loved your performance -- the kids and the dog were great, too! Your uke is so beautiful -- congratulations on a lovely looking and sounding instrument! You play -- and sing -- very well! Hope to hear and see more from you on UU and the Seasons!

Shady Wilbury
08-09-2013, 12:19 PM
For my third song, I chose a tune that might have been better suited to one of the UU duos or couples, but I fancied a go at it anyway. Cole Porter wrote it, and it was used in the 1956 film 'High Society', which was revived (?) on Broadway in 1998.

http://youtu.be/EEr22QVSp54

Enjoy!

Shady

rem50
08-09-2013, 12:37 PM
THought I would give it a go. Talked with Fred because I couldn't figure out what tunes were in Broadway musicals! Thanks for the help Fred! Here is one that was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFbYE7Hrx-I

rem50
08-09-2013, 12:40 PM
That was great! The kids were funny too! It must be fun at your house!

Tootler
08-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks so much for the kind words. :o
I love this song but it's difficult to sing - I am in awe of Judy Garland who not only sings it with such expression but changes keys three or four time during the song. I had enough difficulty just singing it in one key (E). I learned the chords in the key of F and then couldn't hit the high note so I just tuned my uke down a step (F-Bb-D-G) instead of learning a different chord pattern.

It gave the uke some extra mellowness which worked really well for the song.

I keep one of my ukes tuned to FBbDG. It can be really useful.

ukuLily Mars
08-09-2013, 02:24 PM
For my third song, I chose a tune that might have been better suited to one of the UU duos or couples, but I fancied a go at it anyway. Cole Porter wrote it, and it was used in the 1956 film 'High Society', which was revived (?) on Broadway in 1998.

Enjoy!

Shady
Not a revival; the show came after the movie, and as you say it wasn't done until '98. Very glad you decided to do this song, even if there's only one of you!

mattydee
08-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Well, this took entirely too many takes and ate up more of my evening than I had hoped. I had wanted to do this for Mim's Broadway contest a couple of years ago, but couldn't find the chords and wasn't yet skilled enough to work it out by ear. This time with a little help from youtube and my own ear training, I got it!

Second Nature, from Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.

http://youtu.be/kGBVS7uws3o

I had hoped to get a couple more in, and definitely learned another good one, but I'm just not sure I'll have a chance to record. I will certainly try because my other song is a good one!

Jazzbanjorex
08-09-2013, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSW9Uc_sjFU&feature=youtu.be
Day By Day, Godspell

decaturcomp
08-09-2013, 04:10 PM
http://youtu.be/5MtP4shNX_s

this isn't a real entry because then it would be the end, okay?

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 07:20 PM

Enjoy!

Shady
A beautiful song, Shady. Good choice and good playing. Thanks for posting three!

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 07:23 PM
THought I would give it a go. Talked with Fred because I couldn't figure out what tunes were in Broadway musicals! Thanks for the help Fred! Here is one that was.

Nice job, Dean! Excellent strumming on this jazzy tune. Well done.

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Well, this took entirely too many takes and ate up more of my evening than I had hoped. I had wanted to do this for Mim's Broadway contest a couple of years ago, but couldn't find the chords and wasn't yet skilled enough to work it out by ear. This time with a little help from youtube and my own ear training, I got it!

Second Nature, from Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.

http://youtu.be/kGBVS7uws3o

I had hoped to get a couple more in, and definitely learned another good one, but I'm just not sure I'll have a chance to record. I will certainly try because my other song is a good one!
Wow, Matt. You should do this for a living :bowdown: I had never heard of the song or the musical. You and the uke both sounded great as usual. I hope you are able to do another song - remember, it's real Vermont maple syrup......

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Day By Day, Godspell

So glad you were able to do one, Rex. Great emotion in the song. Here's hoping that we can watch another one of yours for this week.....

frisbee fred
08-09-2013, 07:41 PM

This is the first song I would have done for this Season as my three kids are around the right age for me to get teary eyed when I hear it. Beautifully done

laura809
08-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Woohoo! My chorus dancers are especially fond of maple syrup.

Joko
08-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Got the week number wrong in the intro...whoops.

Did a song from Andrew Lloyd Weber's Jesus Christ Superstar in a previous week, so I thought I'd try another. When I got to the point where I needed to scream, I felt a little inhibited by the fact that I live in a condo complex and all my neighbors would hear... I'm no Ted Neely, but I try to do my best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veTp9dAk7MQ

Joko
08-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Weird little coincidence I noticed while making my entry today...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/jokolondo/video666_zps8830dc41.jpg

thesillydave
08-09-2013, 10:10 PM
my 3rd and final entry!

http://youtu.be/IpaDihqtFQk
great week fred!
cheers!

thesillydave
08-09-2013, 10:11 PM
my 3rd and final entry!

http://youtu.be/Z-y4yY40rYo
great week fred!
cheers!

UkeyDave
08-10-2013, 12:37 AM
My final entry. This number has already been done this week but this one has my own slightly different vocal arrangement in places.
Thanks for a great week and brilliant theme Frisby Fred. I've really enjoyed watching the contributions. Boy oh boy we have some talent amongst you lot. I have found this week thoroughly entertaining folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kScPhOBwOyM

UkeyDave
08-10-2013, 12:43 AM
http://youtu.be/5MtP4shNX_s

Alan - This is a GEM.

Jazzbanjorex
08-10-2013, 02:50 AM
Thanks to Pabrizzer for guiding me in this directions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S347z2Z79K8&feature=youtu.be

frisbee fred
08-10-2013, 04:06 AM
Got the week number wrong in the intro...whoops.

Did a song from Andrew Lloyd Weber's Jesus Christ Superstar in a previous week, so I thought I'd try another. When I got to the point where I needed to scream, I felt a little inhibited by the fact that I live in a condo complex and all my neighbors would hear... I'm no Ted Neely, but I try to do my best.

Go Joko! You did a super job with a brutally hard song to sing.

frisbee fred
08-10-2013, 04:09 AM
my 3rd and final entry!
great week fred!
cheers!
Walter Winchell and broadway in the same video - love it. I really like the strumming pattern you did. Thanks for doing all three!

frisbee fred
08-10-2013, 04:13 AM
my 3rd and final entry!
great week fred!
cheers!

I LOVE Little Shop of Horrors. Great way to start the day with two videos from you, Dave. Well done.

frisbee fred
08-10-2013, 04:17 AM
My final entry. This number has already been done this week but this one has my own slightly different vocal arrangement in places.
Thanks for a great week and brilliant theme Frisby Fred. I've really enjoyed watching the contributions. Boy oh boy we have some talent amongst you lot. I have found this week thoroughly entertaining folks.

Definitely better than Christopher Plummer. This is a favorite song of my wife's so I'm glad we have a few versions. Really nice, Dave. Thanks for posting this.

frisbee fred
08-10-2013, 04:21 AM
Thanks to Pabrizzer for guiding me in this directions:

This is top notch, Rex. What a vocal range you have. Uke sounds great as usual. I really liked this. Too much to ask for a third one?

wee_ginga_yin
08-10-2013, 04:24 AM
my 3rd and final entry!
http://youtu.be/IpaDihqtFQk
great week fred!
cheers!

Dave it may be my eyes that have something wrong with them,
but I think I am begining to perceive that you might be a ukulele
player from the future. You see there appears to be a glitch in
the space time continuum since there is an almost imperceptible
flicker and fluttering going on in the video, which I am sure has something
to do with you being teleported back to the mothership.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Jazzbanjorex
08-10-2013, 05:24 AM
Got that 3rd entry in for you Fred. Good theme.
Thank again Brian for the lead on songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOJa_5tylOg&feature=youtu.be

Bump hat....

GinnyT11
08-10-2013, 06:01 AM

Alan, that was elegant, restrained playing on Sunrise, Sunset. I don't know any other song that captures the poignancy of a beloved child growing up and marrying. I've very recently been there.

Nice tie!

mattydee
08-10-2013, 06:02 AM
Wow, Matt. You should do this for a living :bowdown: I had never heard of the song or the musical. You and the uke both sounded great as usual. I hope you are able to do another song - remember, it's real Vermont maple syrup......

Thanks, Fred. BBAJ started as workshops in 2007, opened at the Public in 2009, I think, and moved to Broadway a year or so later. It worked much better in the smaller setting - it's a rock musical of the life and times of Andrew Jackson, told in a series of vignettes. It's a pretty scathing political satire, with populism right in its sights. Jackson is imagined as a heartthrob Emo rick god. The show is hilarious, and the music is just great, but if you pull it up in YouTube or Spotify, beware that many of the lyrics are NSFW. This number comes at the end of the piece, and is sung by a male soloist accompanying himself on guitar, stepping out to reflect. It has stuck with me ever since I saw it.

austin1
08-10-2013, 06:30 AM
Here's a very old video I did for Mim's show tunes contest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk9h87V9PVE

Bonus entry?

frisbee fred
08-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Got that 3rd entry in for you Fred. Good theme.
Thank again Brian for the lead on songs.
Bump hat....
Great hat and great song! Thanks for doing three, Rex. Can't hear that song without thinking of the California Raisins.......

frisbee fred
08-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Here's a very old video I did for Mim's show tunes contest:

Bonus entry?

Alas, Tina, there are no Bonus entries for this Season. However, TheSillyDave got around that requirement by posting a "non-entry". Since this can't be a bonus, because that would be against the rules and therefore deserving of severe discipline, it will go into the "non-entry" category where it can be watched and admired. Beautiful love story......

austin1
08-10-2013, 09:47 AM
non-entry it is!

peewee
08-10-2013, 10:11 AM
I've had very little time to follow along this week, but had to get out at least one entry that can make the playlist.
(Understandably, Sodomy from Hair was deemed too risqué for Fred's friends and family)
The mighty Steve Rose, Uke teacher to the stars here in LA, made this arrangement of 76 Trombones (http://youtu.be/2nlvfCePC7o) from Music Man. if I had time, I would try to multi track in the chords and his low-G counter melody. I already missed doing this one for music-about-music week, and numbers week, so I wanted to get it out there.
thanks Fred!
http://youtu.be/WXNw6FZJ5t8

decaturcomp
08-10-2013, 11:15 AM
It's a thing some of the whippersnappers around here might now appreciate with their beebop haircuts and their SPATS! But, yep, it's a great number. I was in a Jewish wedding once and this makes me think of that happy day.

Alan, that was elegant, restrained playing on Sunrise, Sunset. I don't know any other song that captures the poignancy of a beloved child growing up and marrying. I've very recently been there.

Nice tie!

CTurner
08-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Here's my entry. Based on the Lyle Ritz arrangement. I was in a Production of "Babes in Arms" in college. A disastrous show with a delusional director, but a number of classic Broadway tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pyfemb5ct8

decaturcomp
08-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks Fred. One of our kids is married with two kiddos and another is a HS Junior. So, yeah.

This is the first song I would have done for this Season as my three kids are around the right age for me to get teary eyed when I hear it. Beautifully done

decaturcomp
08-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Love this Mike. Excellent job as always. Lennon said that Edmunds' version was favorite current recording once when Jann Wenner interviewed John for RS.
The writers were Dave Bartholomew and Earl King (as Pearl King) according to wp, FWIW.
Here's Gale Storm's (TV's "My Little Margie") cover of it that followed Smiley Lewis' hit also from 1955.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0pqfjCmqCs

My third entry is a Dave Edmunds song. It is found in "Million Dollar Quartet" which opened on Broadway on April 11, 2010

FiL
08-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Since I missed Jerry Garcia week, here's one from his Broadway run:

http://youtu.be/iP1IUYgbbKs

(Yeah, I know I got the season # wrong in the video.)

- FiL

frisbee fred
08-10-2013, 04:33 PM
I've had very little time to follow along this week, but had to get out at least one entry that can make the playlist.
(Understandably, Sodomy from Hair was deemed too risqué for Fred's friends and family)
The mighty Steve Rose, Uke teacher to the stars here in LA, made this arrangement of 76 Trombones (http://youtu.be/2nlvfCePC7o) from Music Man. if I had time, I would try to multi track in the chords and his low-G counter melody. I already missed doing this one for music-about-music week, and numbers week, so I wanted to get it out there.
thanks Fred!

Nice going, sir.You made the playlist!

frisbee fred
08-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Here's my entry. Based on the Lyle Ritz arrangement. I was in a Production of "Babes in Arms" in college. A disastrous show with a delusional director, but a number of classic Broadway tunes.

Really nice, Craig. I wish I could play like that. Very well done.

frisbee fred
08-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Since I missed Jerry Garcia week, here's one from his Broadway run:
(Yeah, I know I got the season # wrong in the video.)

- FiL

This is really good, FiL. I had not heard this song before and really like your rendition. The banjo uke is perfect for this song. Thanks for posting this.

frisbee fred
08-10-2013, 04:59 PM
We've got 62 videos so far. Wow! There's still a lot of time. Midnight Sunday night Hawaii time is still a long ways away. And I've got lots of real Vermont maple syrup to give away ;)