Season 77 of the Ukulele - Give My Regards To Broadway

frisbee fred

Reaction score

Greetings Fellow Ukulele Addicts and welcome to Season 77!

Criteria for this week is simple - if it is song that has been in a Broadway show it will be accepted. Any Broadway show for any time period.

I'll be giving several prizes based on criteria I have not yet come up with :) However, I know that I'll be giving away a 32oz jug of real Vermont Maple Syrup (made at a farm here in Barre, VT) to first time participants. I'll also be giving away another 32oz jug plus several smaller containers of real Vermont maple syrup.

All videos count (no bonuses). Limit of 3 videos per participant. Not having hosted before I want to make sure I can get to everyone's video. Don't be shy - I hope everyone can do all three.

You need to say somewhere that it is for the 77th Season. Must be a new video for this week. The ukulele must be the primary instrument and we have to see both the uke and your face. Multi-tracking and special effects are allowed (maybe I'll have a special give away for this category depending on how many entries there are).

Don't start posting until 12:01am Sunday August 4th Hawaii time. The contest will run, as usual, until 11:59pm Sunday night August 11th.

Let me know if I have missed something.

Thank you for participating!

PLAYLIST

Fred

Good idea, Fred! It's making me feel...oh, I don't know...I Feel Pretty.

Good idea, Fred! It's making me feel...oh, I don't know...I Feel Pretty.

:biglaugh:

REAL Vermont maple syrup. I'm in it to win it! Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing. Oh my, I was just threatened with a month of no cooking if I even start to play and sing Shipoopi. I am not kidding and I am definitely not loosing a month of my wife's cooking. She's a cruel mistress. I guess someone else will have to do it. There's plenty to choose from.

:biglaugh:

REAL Vermont maple syrup. I'm in it to win it! Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing. Oh my, I was just threatened with a month of no cooking if I even start to play and sing Shipoopi. I am not kidding and I am definitely not loosing a month of my wife's cooking. She's a cruel mistress. I guess someone else will have to do it. There's plenty to choose from.

I can see Buddy Hackett singing it now. My guess is that you'll get the month of cooking back if you win the maple syrup.....

I can see Buddy Hackett singing it now. My guess is that you'll get the month of cooking back if you win the maple syrup.....

Can't/won't risk it. Not even for a week. A month is way too long for one song. I could sing plenty of others that would improve my already incredible fringe benefits. Got a laugh from the Mrs. Score!

SNL opened with a rerun of Anne Hathaway hosting and the cast singing a One Day More parody. It fired up the Mrs. She works union wardrobe for touring Broadway musicals.

Ray- you are killing me right now. HILARIOUS.
MMM SYRUP...now to wait six hours (as if the video was not already done).
I have no clue about musicals (well-a couple), this is going to be an education Fred, tons of fun I am certain. Thanks for hosting for us and the yummy prizes (32 ounces? I could bathe in that...)

I don't know Dave...my god. 3 hours and 19 minutes to post time. I am going to die slowly tonight

one hour and thirty minutes til I can post it...slowly dying.

Ha! I've already seen what's coming - a bravura performance fo'sho!

Right then- here it is 3 AM in California and I am patiently sitting and waiting (yes- I stayed up all night for this) to post this video at the exact time noted in the rules, because this is the only song I know for this season. I will find more, so you are not off the hook yet Fred, but this came to me IMMEDIATELY.
When I was 16, we all had bikes. Some of us scooters (I myself am a Vespa guy), some of us motorcycles, but we all were mates. Every Friday we would put on union suits...I am still not sure why we did that other than the fact that we were a bunch of horses asses...and we would ride the 20 miles to the New Varsity Theater in them.
This was a special place for me, because at one point long before I was alive, my grandfather had owned this theater, and all the other great old theaters along that stretch of the El Camino. I never met him, but I have been in all his theaters.
In any event- I digress. We did this in search of one thing...GIRLS. It seemed that the girls all clustered around a bizarre ritual known as the Rocky Horror Picture Show. In any event- this ritual went on long enough for us to forget the fact that we were there for the girls and really start to pay attention to what was on the screen...which brings us back to the original point I was trying to make.
This failed miserably on Broadway as far as I can tell, but it will always encapsulate an awesome part of my childhood. Hello season 77- and good night seasonistas. I leave you with this for this evening:

Cue big red lips.

yet another from south pacific...

:D One song talks about how great women are, one is about a man playing a woman, and one is you saying how pretty you are........

They are from two of my favorite shows - can't wait to see your "real entries"!

Last edited:
Two.

Smokey Joe's Cafe is a musical revue showcasing 39 pop standards, including rock and roll and rhythm and blues songs written by songwriters Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. The Original Broadway cast recording, Smokey Joe's Cafe: The Songs Of Leiber And Stoller, won a Grammy award in 1996.
After a Los Angeles tryout, the revue opened on Broadway in 1995, running for 2,036 performances, making it the longest-running musical revue in Broadway history.[1] It also had a London run in 1996. According to wiki.

I got the song from the playlist - it has also been done by the Beatles.

Last edited:
Right then- here it is 3 AM in California and I am patiently sitting and waiting (yes- I stayed up all night for this) to post this video at the exact time noted in the rules, because this is the only song I know for this season. I will find more, so you are not off the hook yet Fred, but this came to me IMMEDIATELY.
When I was 16, we all had bikes. Some of us scooters (I myself am a Vespa guy), some of us motorcycles, but we all were mates. Every Friday we would put on union suits...I am still not sure why we did that other than the fact that we were a bunch of horses asses...and we would ride the 20 miles to the New Varsity Theater in them.
This was a special place for me, because at one point long before I was alive, my grandfather had owned this theater, and all the other great old theaters along that stretch of the El Camino. I never met him, but I have been in all his theaters.
In any event- I digress. We did this in search of one thing...GIRLS. It seemed that the girls all clustered around a bizarre ritual known as the Rocky Horror Picture Show. In any event- this ritual went on long enough for us to forget the fact that we were there for the girls and really start to pay attention to what was on the screen...which brings us back to the original point I was trying to make.
This failed miserably on Broadway as far as I can tell, but it will always encapsulate an awesome part of my childhood. Hello season 77- and good night seasonistas. I leave you with this for this evening:

Cue big red lips.

Yes!!! Great choice my friend. Actually you lost your street cred with the Vespa. But you totally got it back with this song choice. In 1981 I was living in center city Philadelphia. Rocky Horror the movie was playing every Friday and Saturday night a midnight. This was at the height of it's popularity. For a year friends of mine and I would go down to see it. I saw it 27 times. It was an amazing audience participation event. Those who saw it back then know what I'm talking about. Perfect first entry for this Season.

BTW, that is a heck of an eye tattoo......

Top Bottom