New Uke for travelling in New England

kkimura

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
After trashing around for a while trying to find a uke to travel with I pulled the trigger on a Martin OXK today. My "short list" was the Gretsch G9100, Kala KA-SEM and the Martin OXK.

I never got to see a Gretsch G9100 but found a music store in Littleton, NH that had a Kala KA-SEM and a Martin OXK in stock. The owners are very nice folk and let me mess around with the ukes until I made a decision.

Here's a few NUD pics.View attachment 56638View attachment 56637View attachment 56636

Because it's New England, you ought to have gotten the Kahhhhhhla :)
(I say this as a Bostonian by birth)

Congratulations on your new ukulele!

Because it's New England, you ought to have gotten the Kahhhhhhla :)
(I say this as a Bostonian by birth)

Congratulations on your new ukulele!

Thanks! But the Maah-tin was wicked good.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

I think you meant to say, "wicked pissah."

Thanks everyone!

Funny thing is that It's easier for me to form chords on the soprano than on the concert. Something to do with these old short fingers I guess. :)

Sweet! Glad you finally found your "beater" uke. :D And nice to see the decal on the headstock has no missing letters. ;)

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for?

Sweet! Glad you finally found your "beater" uke. :D And nice to see the decal on the headstock has no missing letters. ;)

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for?

Not at all, $279.00 from Northern Lights Music in Littleton, NH.

(Figured I'd save shipping costs and support a local business.)

I'm from, and love, New England, New Hampshire in particular. Thanks for sharing your story.

Now grab a lobstah roll, a six pack of Narragansett bee-ah and then head over to Friendly's for some ice cream. Nothin' bettah!

The OXK is a great travelling uke! I brought mine to Berlin, Germany twice!

Congrats on your OXK!

Petey

I'm from, and love, New England, New Hampshire in particular. Thanks for sharing your story.

Now grab a lobstah roll, a six pack of Narragansett bee-ah and then head over to Friendly's for some ice cream. Nothin' bettah!

You know I've lived here long enough to not notice the local accent but I'm pretty sure my own Hawaiian by way of the West coast accent is still there when I speak.

The OXK is a great travelling uke! I brought mine to Berlin, Germany twice!

Congrats on your OXK!

Petey

Thanks Petey, your review of the Martins was one of the deciding factors for me.

Thanks Petey, your review of the Martins was one of the deciding factors for me.
You're welcome. I just do what I can while slogging away as an unofficial tester in the Martin ukulele salt mines!!! ;-) hehe

Seriously, when I found that Martin OXK in the music store in Montreal in the summer of 2011, they had an S1 and an OXK. I knew nothing about Martin ukes (except my S-O) and was surprised to see two new models. I played both for a few seconds and took the OXK to counter to buy it pronto because the sound was amazing. There is nothing bad to say about that uke. Ok, the "70s plywood" joke I made, but beyond joking, that HPL uke sounds and plays great and I wrote a number of songs on it.

Enjoy!

Petey

I've got an OXK and it's a great ukulele . Can't say enough good things about it, it's awesome.

The OXK (and I) survived it's first road trip to Bangor, Maine. Even got left in the back of a VW SportWagon for a while with no ill affects!

It is great to un-wind with a uke in the motel room after a day chasing IT demons.

Doesn't Stephen King live around Bangor Maine? Watch out for him when you're driving.

Third boxcar, midnight train, destination Bangor Maine! Woohoo!

Petey

Yes, he lives in Bangor. One of the Motels I stayed at on business had pre-printed slips of paper with driving directions to his house for the tourists (like me). Of course it could have been anyone's house I guess.

Top Bottom