Building from scratch or from a kit???

jjanssen1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Thinking of building my first uke and have been wondering if I should build from a kit like from stew mac. Or to buy all the wood and build one myself?

Kit or from scratch?

It may depend upon your circumstances. My first five ukes were scratch built, as I was using a friend's workshop. Then there was a break of about three years, and when I decided to make another uke, I no longer had use of a workshop. I bought a StewMac soprano kit and assembled it in my kitchen, using hand tools only. I was very impressed with the kit, and would definitely recommend it.

Building from scratch is much more demanding, but also more satisfying.

What kind of tools do you have? Experience woodworking?

I learned so much from building the first stew mac kit. I got the video with it, which was very helpful. The big thing to set up, for me, for building from scratch was a way to thin the wood adequately and evenly, and bend the sides. I suggest starting with a kit, just the one, and going from there.
Anne Flynn

Yes, it really depends upon your experience and your skills. My first ukes were built from scratch with no plans, no books, no Internet or anyone to guide me. And boy did they show it! Now days with the Internet and forums to tap into you can get a pretty good start on your own, whether you build from scratch of build a kit. But I think it is essential to have or learn some wood working skills first, if no other reason than to learn safe practices. My very best advice is to see if there is another luthier in your area that can advise you and inspire you.
Good luck.

Top Bottom