Concert vs Soprano uke

jjanssen1

Reaction score
I have a concert but is a soprano easier to play and overall better to play

All depends on the person! Whatever you get used to will seem easiest.

I play soprano, concert, and tenor. The one that fits me best is the concert. If one is easiest to play, it's the one that feels best in your hands, the neck profile that feels best, the easiest to finger, and strum. What strings you are using will also play a role in this. Weight often makes a difference too. That's why I recommend you join a uke club if possible, attend a uke festival, hold and play as many ukes as you can, different brands, sizes, woods, etc. and it will all become clear to you.

I say comfort and playability are big factors....BUT even bigger factors are personal preference, tone, and the voice of the uke..as others have said see what works for you
the soprano has the responsive, Chalang a lang traditional sound, and plays for most the best for beginners...from there you can branch out to the other sizes, woods, and designs....

you can also always look for a soprano with tenor neck.. it keeps the soprano\ukulele typical sound yet gives you a bigger fretboard if you find soprano too small.

I personally don't care for concerts much although I do have two. I prefer either Tenor or sopranos.

It's very personal. When my daughter and I went Uke shopping, she tried three ukes, never putting down her third instrument.

I tried every Uke in the place, including a couple "Aspirational" instruments WAY out of our price range, before settling in on the third or fourth uke we I tried.

She wound up with an OS Concert. I wound up with a Lanakai Concert, both sub $100.

Really the best thing to do is to play a Soprano to see how you like it. You can read a hundred post's about it but in the end it's what you like. Ukes of all sizes are good...

I love the sound of a traditional soprano. Old timey ukulele songs nearly always sound best on the little sopranos.

But there is no such thing as the best size or the "right" size. Try different sizes and setups and play whatever size or sizes you like.

I like Sopranos, and I like Tenors, but to me Concerts are a happy medium between the two. :)

Decisions-Decisions!!

I have yet to see a soprano body with a tenor neck. What strings does one use/ SOP? CNCRT? TNR?

The most popular model I sell from three different lines is the Long Neck Soprano. It has the length of the concert fingerboard with the price and sound of a soprano. A low 4th string completly changes the sound. For those who say a low string is not traditional on a soprano; the first song ever heard directly from Hawai'i on the radio (in 1939) was a song which used the range below middle C. That was 74 years ago. How long does it take to make a tradition?

I started with a concert, and tend to prefer concerts or tenors.

I bought a soprano recently (as I figured it would be more portable in social situations), but I find it more difficult to play.

Purists tend to favour the soprano, but I think we're a broad church, and as long as you are enjoying your playing and entertaining others along the way, nobody here would ever really object to whatever your preference ends up as.

I think it all comes down to personal preference, and what size you started on.

As an aside, my ukulele teacher (who also teaches guitar) now starts his younger guitar students on a baritone uke, moving to a guitar when they are older and can fit their hands around the neck of a guitar more easily.

PS. My go-to uke is a Kanilea concert. Good luck in your personal discoveries!

I have yet to see a soprano body with a tenor neck. What strings does one use/ SOP? CNCRT? TNR?

you can order a flea with a tenor neck. the strings match the scale.

Top Bottom