Song Help Request Writing a song

Curryknight

Reaction score
Hey there fantastic members of UU! Lately I've had this urge to write a song. Well, my song is mostly written up, now I just need to figure out a tune for it.

My question to you is, what are the rules to songs? I understand there are certain chord progressions, but how should I go about doing this or figuring out what kind to use?

Thanks in advance. :D

Never wrote a song on ukulele but i have on guitar. usually for me, i will find the chords that fit the voice of the singer. in your case you. then usually most people write the music then they put lyrics to the music. In your case you will just have to find the chords that fit your lyrics...

But as for the music end. its not something you learn. it has to be an expression of the writer. reall music isnt taught its expressed....

Howlie Boy

I've written alot of songs and am yet to record them. I suggest messing around till you find a chord you like and try working around it to find some other chords that work with it. Like Howlie Boy said, make sure it fits your voice. Plug in the lyrics and then you can start adding picking, solos, and accents to make it your own. It's always fun creating and composing your own songs!!!

rules? no wai!

decide how you want it to be. fast, slow, in the middle?
decide on your strumming. plain up down or complicated swishes.
as for chords, i suggest you use chords on the same octave. for example, A E D E7 matches in any order. or D G Bm Em C Am in any order and amount. or copy another songs chords.
then if you want create a picking. dont stress on this part, hear it in your head!

if this dont help, then you can ignore this altogether.

Thanks a bunch for the advice guys. Maybe I'll post the song up once it's finished. ...maybe :p

Top Bottom