PDA

View Full Version : New Strings... Lost my A chord

dktoller
01-08-2009, 04:26 AM
Just replaced the factory strings on my cheap ukulele with Aquilas.
They sound much better in general.

However, the C-string seems to be a problem. When I depress the string between the nut and the first fret I get a D note instead of the expected Db. I think this is because the string is making contact with the second fret as well as the first fret. I'm hoping this goes away as the string relaxes/stretches a bit, or is this wishful thinking?

If I wiggle my finger around and get things just right I can get the Db.

Help! Anybody ever had this problem? I'd hate to go back to the old strings, but I might have to if this doesn't get resolved.

hoosierhiver
01-08-2009, 05:32 AM
They might just need to be stretched in.Since the C is the biggest string,sometimes it doesn't sit well in the groove on the nut and thus buzzes or does weird things.If you think that is the case,try widening the groove very slightly with a file.

generem
01-09-2009, 05:05 AM
I had the same problem too on my C and E string when I switched over to Aquilas on my Kala concert. I saw that the strings didnt sit right so I had to file the grooves a bit to make them sit right like what hoosierhiver suggested

dktoller
01-09-2009, 05:46 AM
It was slightly better today (strings are relaxing?) but still a problem. And I've noticed a slight buzz on the E-string now too. Guess the new strings are probably a slightly different gauge/tension than the originals.

I think I'll give this a try. Thanks.

dktoller
01-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Alright, change of direction.

I took a closer look tonight and the C and E strings are definitely rubbing the second fret whenever the string is played on the first fret. This effect is a buzz (E-string) and the wrong note on the C-string. So I don't think filing the nut groove is going to help.

Seems like I need to do one of the following
- Raise the nut
- Raise the bridge
- File down the second fret

I'm leaning toward filing down the second fret. Seems like this should work. Comments?

Oh, I found this
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8133&highlight=fret+filing (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8133)