SAS - String Acquisition Syndrome

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
Looks like instead of UAS, I have SAS. I bought my Kanile'a, and I think it came with Aquilas on it (didn't get it direct from Kanile'a or from MGM so I'm not positive). I wanted to try some of the Worth Browns (due to the mellow reputation) so I bought a set of those (one in g and one in G). Also, since Aldrine is a big fan of D'addario, and I'm a big fan of his, I bought a set of those.

I put on the Worths, and I don't really care for them right now. They are still stretching, but they seem a lot thinner than the set I had on there before. They don't seem as easy to play and they aren't as loud.

I did tons of search functions on the forum to see what people thought, but I kept coming back to seeso's advice to buy a bunch and try them to see what I liked best.

So yesterday I decided to try more options, so I bought two sets of Aquilas (one g, one G) and a set of the Fremont Blackline from MGM. I'm really looking forward to trying out the Blackline ones.

I'm so impatient, I know everyone says you have to let the strings settle to really make an informed decision. So do you guys jump from one to the next or do you wait and keep sticking with a set for a couple of weeks before you switch to another?

Now there's an acquisition syndrome I can almost afford! Try the Ko'olau Golds too, that's my advice. I would leave a set on at least a week to get a feel for them.

Give it a couple a days for the strings to stretch out and settle. Play with it for a couple of weeks. Might just grow on ya.

I believe Kanile'a sends them out with Aquila strings. Blackline is a fluorocarbon along the same lines as Worth. Personally haven't tried them. I happen to like the D'Addario J-71 and currently running a mixed set on my 6 string. I usually change strings every 3-4 months. FYI, Aldrine uses a guitar set and not the packaged uke strings.

i've had the same ko'olau golds on my fluke for exactly a year now and they still sound fine (to me).

now if only i can fix my Beer Aquisition Syndrome. actually, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

good luck with all those strings. keep us updated when you find your favorite!

For my Kanile'a super soprano, I liked Worth CDs on it the best (also tried the stock Aquilias & Worth BMs on it). I'm still slowly experimenting with strings on the Kanile'a super tenor and will probably throw on a set of Worth CTs next. What I do know is that I personally do not like Aquila strings on the Kanile'as.

Yeah, I can relate to SAS as well. I have a tendency to "stock up" on strings for the future, even though I could just buy them when the need arises. So everytime I order strings, I order a lot more than I need, and now I have a pile of them in a drawer. It's all good though. I think it's kind of fun to try out a new set of strings once in a while.

Give it a couple a days for the strings to stretch out and settle. Play with it for a couple of weeks. Might just grow on ya.

I believe Kanile'a sends them out with Aquila strings. Blackline is a fluorocarbon along the same lines as Worth. Personally haven't tried them. I happen to like the D'Addario J-71 and currently running a mixed set on my 6 string. I usually change strings every 3-4 months. FYI, Aldrine uses a guitar set and not the packaged uke strings.

What strings are you using on the 6? I like the Ko'olau gold 6 set with the low G, C in octaves and A in unison, but I'd like to get a similar setup with Pro-Arte.

Aquila G and C (octave), D'Addario J-71 E and A (unison). Unfortunately, D'Addario doesn't package a 6 string set, so I had to break up an extra set (no big deal). I'm due for a change soon and might try another combo or might just try the Ko'olau set.

now if only i can fix my Beer Aquisition Syndrome. actually, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My prob with BAS is I acquire then the next day it is gone, not even a goodbye note.

As for strings I haven't really experimented. I have tried stock GHS (No good), Martin strings (Better but not great) and D'addario's (best I have had yet). I have some Aquilla on the way though so I will give them a try.

I have the same 'problem' with strings. I've been trying different sets and I want to try more. It seems like I put a set of strings on and at first I like them. After I while I get tired of them and want to try something new.
On one hand I hate switching strings because they don't stay in tune for a few days but I can't help myself.

On my fluke I've used the hilos that it came with. I then switched to aquilas but I didn't really care for them on the fluke. I then switched to brown worths and I like them for a long time. I tried high g and low g. I didn't care for the sound of the unwound low g and just played high g for a while.
I recently switched to low g and that has revived my ukulele playing. For a while I used a wound low g from a hilo set and then I replaced that low g with a 4th string from a classical guitar set. Just a couple of days ago I replaced the worths with the 4 strings from a d'addario classical guitar set (normal tension). At first I didn't like them too much but they have been growing on me and I'm pretty pleased with the d'addarios now.

Next I plan on replacing the aquilas on my flea. I recently switched from brown worths to d'addarios on my ohana tenor too.

What strings does he use then? just ordinary guitar strings and picks the correct strings to match the uke?
The post I was referring to didn't mention exactly which string set he uses and usually the D G B E strings are used for the uke (?).
Which strings would you use?
Haven't tried the D'Addario guitar sets because I have several packs of the J-71 Pro Arte uke set. I also have a package of Savarez classical guitar strings which I haven't used. In answer to your question, here are some threads about D'Addario sets and I believe posts refer to J46 and J50.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2171
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7737
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7404

The post I was referring to didn't mention exactly which string set he uses and usually the D G B E strings are used for the uke (?).

Haven't tried the D'Addario guitar sets because I have several packs of the J-71 Pro Arte uke set. I also have a package of Savarez classical guitar strings which I haven't used. In answer to your question, here are some threads about D'Addario sets and I believe posts refer to J46 and J50.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2171
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7737
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7404

Thanks for your info. I have just put some of the pro arte strings supplied by the UU Shop. They sound amazing, they dont have such a loud tone to them like the Aquila strings do, which is what i was looking for. Also they have a really nice feel to them and look fantastic.

Thank You

I like this thread and I'll be checking it for updates. :) I have a bit of SAS too but I'm not knowledgable enough to branch out beyond what I've tried (Hilos, Aquilas, and Worth clears).

I have a koa Lanikai (made by the guys at Kanile'a) and it's currently got Worth CM strings on it. My one complaint is I have to work to get enough volume out of the instrument. Maybe it's the strings, or it could be the high gloss finish on the instrument which I wish wasn't there. I'm always on the lookout for peoples' reviews of what strings sound best on Kanile'as.

(And I wanted an instrument with low G tuning forever so I got a Fluke and put some Worth CM-low G on it.) :)

Top Bottom