how to play the D Mmaj chord (2220)

scaramanga

Reaction score
i am looking for the best way to play the 2220 Dmaj chord.
i see aldrine play it often with just one finger.
for me this does not seem to work (either pain in the joint or muting od the a-string)
is it just a matter of practising or fingersize?

thanks

If your fingers are small enough you can use your first three fingers. If you practice, this might be your best bet if joint pain is giving you trouble with the one finger method. I find myself unconciously interchanging both methods during a song... don't really know why LOL. But practice and you'll get it. If you think your hands are too small at first, keep at it. I'm 6 foot 4 inches and I've got pretty large hands, and I can do a Dmaj with my first 3 fingers, so it can be done :)

I have sausage fingers. It's all a matter of practice. I bar it with my ring finger. Doing this also prepares you for the Emaj chord which is also common, because you'll need your index finger available when doing E.

lol i normally have to mute the bottom chord....

but sometimes i can get it, i dunno why...

maybe because i crack them 100 times 1 day and none the next. :D

^^ nice find waterguy... haven't tried that method before

lol i normally have to mute the bottom

Which isn't really so bad. The muted string is an "A", which you're already playing on the fourth string, second fret anyway. So you're not losing a note completely, you're simply no longer doubling it.

(Personally, I tend to use 2225, which gives you that nice D octave thing goin' on.)

JJ

I personally prefer using my middle on all 3 strings but in certain situations (in the picking section of Summer Breeze, for example) i prefer to use 3 separate fingers (i use my middle, ring and pinky since i can cram those fingers side-by-side without accidentally muting any other strings) mainly because you get more sustain when you switch notes (that is, you can switch notes with individual fingers without removing - and muting - the others). just my two cents.

Well am I the only one who plays it with my pinky, ring, and middle? I play guitar so I play it like an Amaj chord.

Well am I the only one who plays it with my pinky, ring, and middle? I play guitar so I play it like an Amaj chord.
I'm sure you're not the only one. I did at first. But then I learned a song that had both D and E, and it just became pointless to bar with my ring on the e chord but not when playing D.

cheat like a mother

I use two fingers to cover all three strings....(Index and middle)....I might be the only one on the planet that does this.....that either makes me really really cool, or a total freak. :D

Top Bottom