PDA

View Full Version : NUD! Old uke! Anyone know anything about it????

ickybaby
08-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Today I got a new uke the old fashioned way...I bought it from a guy at a gas station. OK...he listed it on Craigslist and we met at a gas station....it's not like we have gas stations in Ilinois where uke purveyors hang out.

Anyway, it's an archtop (and back), not sure of the wood, appears to be solid top but I'm not 100% certain on that, radiused fretboard, 2 pc bridge, wood nut, and friction tuners.

The neck is nice and straight, the frets are level, the action is good and intonation pretty good up and down. The only identifying feature is the name Mel-O-Dee. Anyone got info?

RyanMFT
08-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Very, very cool....
I am all about vintage ukuleles, and I have yet to see one of these. Maybe you could post some better photos of the bridge, which might help identify a bit. It is interesting that it has that v-shaped neck. That was kind of a Lyon & Healy thing, but nothing else on the ukulele points to L&H. The arched top and radiused fretboard are also not common....

Is it a soprano? My best guess would be a Chicago built uke....from one of the big makers (Regal/Harmony), but this one is an oddball! I dig it...good find. How does it sound?

ickybaby
08-05-2013, 05:36 PM
The uke is a concert. It is odd...main reason I picked it up.

I think it sounds pretty nice. It has good volume, right on par with my Kiwaya laminate concert. It is a bit darker than the Kiwaya. Only played with it a bit so far. The tuners still work good. The strings are D'Dario (sp?) that the seller put on it. I'm thinking maybe its a low-G candidate.

ickybaby
08-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Ignore the picture of the sleigh bed....unless you are interested! Someday I'll truly figure technology out and then I'll be scary!

RyanMFT
08-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Well, I like the bed too...
I can't tell you anything more, maybe others can help here. Nicer tuners, basic bridge, concert size....a curious vintage ukulele to say the least! The headstock is more common to Regal built ukuleles. If you like the way it sounds/plays then you've got a winner.

Patrick Madsen
08-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Ya can't beat a vintage uke and it looks like you picked up a gem. For myself, I'm finding my old vintage ukes, Favilla and Martin baris, seem to sound better with nylon with wound 3&4. Esp. the Favilla; it brings out that deep lusty smoke filled bluesy sound.

Congrats, you have many of us vintage players lusting at the M archtop. I've got to hang out at more gas stations.