Mainland soprano bridge lifting up in one corner - what should I do?

Brian W

Reaction score
I have a new Mainland Red Cedar soprano and noticed one corner of the bridge has started lifting off of the top. I read a recent thread about the bridge popping off of another Mainland soprano, so I thought I better check mine; and that's when I discovered it. Most of the bridge looks well secured to the top, but I am a little concerned that this will continue peeling back and eventually pull completely off the top. The uke is under warranty, so I can send it back, but I really like it an would prefer to keep it. But if there is a chance that it could continue to get worse and eventually pop off, then I will send it back to Mike. Does anyone know if this is more of a problem with Cedar topped ukes? If anyone has had a similar experience, or could give me a recommendation of what they would do, I would really appreciate it.

How bad is it? One of the corners on my mahogany tenor is lifted a little bit, enough to get your finger nail under there just a bit. The rest of the bridge has been stable for the few years I've owned it, and I'm not terribly concerned about it letting go at this point.

A soprano cedar I have is currently unstrung waiting for a bridge removal and repair. When I looked at that one, the entire front of the bridge had lifted up, and when I put my finger nail under there and gently pulled up...it let go some more. Not all the way, but well over half...so it immediately got unstrung and is waiting for the funds to fix it because I like it too much to chance myself.

If you like it, keep it. It's not terribly expensive or difficult to reglue a bridge. If it's stable, I would keep playing it...but keep a close eye on it. If it looks like it's starting to let go all the way, I'd take it someplace for a re-glue.

Since your uke is new and under warranty...I'd call Mike and address the issue and see what he says...never hurts to ask...good Luck
always good to do something than nothing...:)

How bad is it? One of the corners on my mahogany tenor is lifted a little bit, enough to get your finger nail under there just a bit. The rest of the bridge has been stable for the few years I've owned it, and I'm not terribly concerned about it letting go at this point.

A soprano cedar I have is currently unstrung waiting for a bridge removal and repair. When I looked at that one, the entire front of the bridge had lifted up, and when I put my finger nail under there and gently pulled up...it let go some more. Not all the way, but well over half...so it immediately got unstrung and is waiting for the funds to fix it because I like it too much to chance myself.

If you like it, keep it. It's not terribly expensive or difficult to reglue a bridge. If it's stable, I would keep playing it...but keep a close eye on it. If it looks like it's starting to let go all the way, I'd take it someplace for a re-glue.

It's just a little bit in the back-right corner, enough to slide a business card under. I have an Ohana, with a similar issue, but the lift on the Mainland is noticeably worse. Plus with the Ohana, I can see dried glue between the bridge and the top, but I don't see that with the Mainland.

Stan's got the right idea, plus Mike is knowledgable and good people.

Give him a shout -- he'll know the best course of action.

I agree with Connor and Stan.

I'll add: I'd have it fixed.

To be honest, since your ukulele is still under warranty, I would have contacted Mike before even starting a thread here about it.

To be honest, since your ukulele is still under warranty, I would have contacted Mike before even starting a thread here about it.

I actually talked to Mike this morning about it. I started the thread to also see if I was over-reacting about it, or if anyone else had a similar issue.

I would say that is universally true. If an instrument has an issue, discuss it directly with the dealer who sold it to you, or with the manufacturer if necessary (most manufacturers prefer you work with the dealer). If under warranty, the issue will almost always be resolved, and I have seen more than a few large and small builders deal with out-of-warranty issues or second-owner issues with good grace, often at low or no cost. It can't hurt to ask!

Its like deja vu all over again. Mine also had a slight lift in the corner and I always blew it off as overreacting. See where it got me. I agree with the others get it addressed now and then you wont have to stress over it.

I dont think its the OPs intention to drag Mainlands name in the dirt. It certainly wasnt mine. I think this is an issue with alot of ukes not just mainlands. For the price I still think theyre one of the best you can buy. And wouldnt hesitate to get another

I actually talked to Mike this morning about it. I started the thread to also see if I was over-reacting about it, or if anyone else had a similar issue.

Since you didn't say that you'd talked to Mike in your original post, all your thread really accomplished is to tell the UU community about a defective Mainland ukulele, which isn't that good a thing. Maybe you copuld share with us what Mike told you. he might be in the best position to know whether you're overreacting, and if he's agreed to repair or replace it under the warranty, then whether you're overreacting or not doesn't matter.

Since you didn't say that you'd talked to Mike in your original post, all your thread really accomplished is to tell the UU community about a defective Mainland ukulele, which isn't that good a thing. Maybe you copuld share with us what Mike told you. he might be in the best position to know whether you're overreacting, and if he's agreed to repair or replace it under the warranty, then whether you're overreacting or not doesn't matter.

Agree wholeheartedly (is that ten letters? lol)

It wasn't my intention to drag Mainland down into the mud, in fact I said in my original post that I really like the uke. Besides, I thought this was a discussion forum about our thoughts and experiences (whether good or bad). I like Mainland's product and customer service, and have no problem recommending them to my fellow ukulele players. I started the post after reading Oldetymey's recent experience with the same uke , and worried that it could happen to mine as well. I called Mike and he gave me the option of either returning it for a full refund, or waiting and see if it progresses; either way he said he would honor the warranty.

It wasn't my intention to drag Mainland down into the mud, in fact I said in my original post that I really like the uke. Besides, I thought this was a discussion forum about our thoughts and experiences (whether good or bad). I like Mainland's product and customer service, and have no problem recommending them to my fellow ukulele players. I started the post after reading Oldetymey's recent experience with the same uke , and worried that it could happen to mine as well. I called Mike and he gave me the option of either returning it for a full refund, or waiting and see if it progresses; either way he said he would honor the warranty.

Problem solved !

Does anyone know if Mainland (or other brands from the far east) are constructed with hide glue (i.e. reversible)?

Thanks in advance
Jim (off the check his bridges)

It's pretty well documented already that bridges on red cedars pop off from time to time. A quick Google search will bring up a few different threads, with a few different people talking about it. I read one of those threads, and went to check my bridge...which is when I discovered it was letting go. I'm pretty sure if I wouldn't have found it that day it would have popped off completely. I never even thought to check for bridge lift before reading about it.

I have 3 cedar Mainlands. If the bridge started to let go on one of the others, and let's assume they'll still be under warranty, I'd take it someplace locally to fix. It's cheap enough, and I'd rather keep the ukes I have then get them replaced. I'm pretty sentimental though, and my cedars all have some emotions attached.

What are you going to do Brian?

It's pretty well documented already that bridges on red cedars pop off from time to time. A quick Google search will bring up a few different threads, with a few different people talking about it. I read one of those threads, and went to check my bridge...which is when I discovered it was letting go. I'm pretty sure if I wouldn't have found it that day it would have popped off completely. I never even thought to check for bridge lift before reading about it.

I have 3 cedar Mainlands. If the bridge started to let go on one of the others, and let's assume they'll still be under warranty, I'd take it someplace locally to fix. It's cheap enough, and I'd rather keep the ukes I have then get them replaced. I'm pretty sentimental though, and my cedars all have some emotions attached.

What are you going to do Brian?

I don't know. I REALLY like the sound of this uke, but I think I may return it and exchange it for a mahogany or mango soprano instead. I, like you, have developed some sentimental attachment already, and it will be hard to part with it. I just don't know if I can deal with the worry over it possibly delaminating sometime in the future. At least Mike is very easy to deal with, and does want his customers to be happy with their purchase.

I've seen quite a lot Mainlands with bridges popping, including one that was my girlfriend's and I sold for a fellow brazilian uker. In my case it was very prohibitive to ship the uke back to Mike, considering shipping costs. I really like Mainland ukes, but when some brazilian asks me about their ukes I always alert them about that popping bridge issue. Luckily you can get it fixed for the equivalent to US$30,00 in here and that's not a lot of money, but it sure is a turn off.

EDIT: FYI my experience was with a Mahogany soprano

Last edited:
Not sure how warranty repairs work. Do you pay shipping or does mainland?
If youre paying the shipping Id just use that money to have it reglued if it pops. Youve got the warranty in your back pocket if it goes and causes real damage. But who knows. It may never come off. How long have you had it? They are warrantied for a year its not like you have to make a decision this minute

Top Bottom