DEPORTEE (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos)

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Here's a song with a powerful message.

I felt like doing another baritone recording. Here I am in E tuning (EAC#F#).

Last edited:
Yes, he does indeed.

Some say that Woody did not fully understand the situation when he wrote the poem. However, he certainly understood that there is something innately wrong in paying farmers to destroy good food, just to keep the price up. In any case, I feel that he was not so much commenting on government policy towards Mexican workers, but making a more focused point about attitudes at the time towards race and social status. I don't know enough about contemporary American society to comment on whether these attitudes are still prevalent today.

Last edited:
Nice rendition, Ken! Thank you for keeping awareness of Guthrie alive.

Very nicely done. Thank you for sharing.

Nice rendition, Ken! Thank you for keeping awareness of Guthrie alive.

My pleasure. Thanks for listening.

Very nicely done. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you, Gary.

Sweetness! Love this song.
I heard it first on Los Super Seven's self-titled album:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Super_Seven_(album)

It's one of my favourites too.

Those anonymous "deportees" have now been given names and surnames. See here for a moving article.

Yes, I noticed this too. An interesting article.

Ooops you'll have to edit the title of the video to Plane wreck. It currently reads train wreck. Maybe the recent Spanish Tragedy was on your mind when you edited the titles...

Ooops you'll have to edit the title of the video to Plane wreck. It currently reads train wreck. Maybe the recent Spanish Tragedy was on your mind when you edited the titles...

I was quietly hoping no-one would notice. "Plane wreck" is not a term we use in English English. "Train wreck" is much more common. A stupid mistake.

Top Bottom