I'm looking for a tenor uke:Mele, LoPrinzi, Donaldson??

Cheeso

Reaction score
Hi all, I want to buy a tenor uke, and I'm researching different models. I'd love a Hawaiian, K brand even, but can't really afford one.

I was just in Hawaii and played a Kanile'a and an SI, both were beautiful and sounded great, I just can't justify the price for my playing level. And I didn't know enough about the Ishikawa brand to pull the trigger.

So, owners/players of these brands, can you please give me some feedback on your ukes?

Thanks!

Some great bargains on UU, many on Fleamarketmusic Marketplace, and from many dealers with b stocks, refurbs, etc. I've seen, and gotten some amazing bargains on Pono's, Mele, Kala, Lehua, to name a few, including two banjo ukes. Set a price, clarify what you want, and see if you can be patient enough to pick up a great uke at a "steal." There sure are enough of them.

I just can't justify the price for my playing level.

Playing level has nothing to do with it. It's the passion level that counts. :cool:

A better uke just inspires you to practice more, which makes you a better player. Hope you find a great uke soon!

Just in case your research leads you to Mele: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?83436-For-sale-Mele-solid-koa-b-s-with-redwood-top-and-misi-tenor

And as semi-related advice, but the best uke you can afford. It makes a difference (for me, anyway).

Good luck in the search.

Good advice here connor...this has been on my list for awhile...

One of my first and still my go to uke is Komoa tenor, E series, natural. $219 list. But buying from UU is always my preferred option.

I"ve seen ukers start out with a Kanilea, Kamaka, Devine, Moorebettah, etc. That Mele is a sweety. Has it's own personality, not like everyone else's uke.
I have a Mele tenor and it's awesome. I also have a Pono 6 string tenor refurb and also a Kala solid mahogany tenor that I got for a steal. Gotta check out those Pono's, new, refurbs, and 2nd's.

I am not familiar with the Ishikawa brand. I can also understand being on a budget.

The enablers here will encourage you to go all out, but I'm not one of them. :p

Don't know what you have or what you'd consider a step up, but I have a Pono mahogany tenor and a Mainland red ceder tenor. Both are amazing instruments that can be had more affordably than most K brands.

Keep an eye on the Marketplace here. Good buys are always popping up. :)

Thanks for the advice and input, everyone. I know the Mele's have a good reputation here, they are just hard to come by in person.

My budget is around $800. I know a better uke will inspire me to play more and play better, that I agree with. I'd really love a beautiful Kamaka or KoAloha, full of bling and blinding the eye with curly koa, but having a player might be good for me.

Refurbs and 2nds? I can't say I've ever seen one listed or at a store, but I don't have a problem with those either.

I have two solid wood tenors, a pono I picked up used here, and a LoPrinzi that I got through Uke Republic. The Pono is a basic mahogany tenor, and it's just a fine instrument, good playing and sounding, and it looks fine. I can and do play it with satisfaction. But my LoPrinzi? It's sexy. It's pretty. I got it fresh from the shop, and it's just starting to open up after four weeks. It sounds better every week, the richness, the sweet tone and sustain. I may never be "worthy" of it, but man am i glad i own it. There have been a few used ones for sale, including here at UU, but I believe Uke Republic still has a model A cherry in stock, for just under 600. (mine is a model B cherry)

Of course, there are many fine Ukes being made these days, and tastes vary. There have been several listed here that I lust after. Just my two cents. But good instruments are worth it, and the best you can comfortably afford is a good idea.

Just another note, there's a koa LoP tenor on ebay for 769. It's thru a music store, I don't have any experience with them, but a little research might give you an idea.

Last edited:
under 'The Ukulele Site', Hawaii music supply has a 'marketplace' that has seconds, used, blowouts etc. right now there are no ukes near the $800 mark, but maybe soon, or you could call.

Thanks for the advice and input, everyone. I know the Mele's have a good reputation here, they are just hard to come by in person.

My budget is around $800. I know a better uke will inspire me to play more and play better, that I agree with. I'd really love a beautiful Kamaka or KoAloha, full of bling and blinding the eye with curly koa, but having a player might be good for me.

Refurbs and 2nds? I can't say I've ever seen one listed or at a store, but I don't have a problem with those either.

If you're looking for Hawaiian and have a budget like that, check out Kelii. Vastly underrated IMO.

Kelii ukes are now made partly in Hawaii and partly in China. (It's kind of like how a "Swiss made" watch only has to be 51% made in Switzerland.) They were made in Hawaii only. That said, they are still very good ukes. I have an all-koa concert. I love it, and would recommend one to anybody looking for a K-brand-type uke for less money. Anyone remember this thread? http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...ell-can-you-distinguish-Hawaiian-Brand-tenors

I'm all for stretching my budget as far as I can go and buy as nice a uke as I can, even if I have to wait--which is what I personally am doing right now. If I buy something to "tide me over" to the next level up, that's money that could have gone towards that nicer uke I would eventually get anyway.

For $800, you can get some nice new and used tenors. KoAloha does sell seconds, so that might be a great way to go for a new uke. I think a used Kamaka tenor would go for more than $800, but not much more. LoPrinzis are awesome too, but if Cheeso really wants a K instead, they're out there.

Last edited:
I'm all for stretching my budget as far as I can go and buy as nice a uke as I can, even if I have to wait--which is what I personally am doing right now. If I buy something to "tide me over" to the next level up, that's money that could have gone towards that nicer uke I would eventually get anyway.

For $800, you can get some nice new and used tenors. KoAloha does sell seconds, so that might be a great way to go for a new uke. I think a used Kamaka tenor would go for more than $800, but not much more. LoPrinzis are awesome too, but if Cheeso really wants a K instead, they're out there.
Oh, I definitely don't need a K brand, I'd be happy with another brand. Of course if I found a great bargain, I wouldn't say no.

I'm in the "waiting for a bargain" phase right now, trying to avoid an impulse buy. That's why I didn't pull the trigger on something when I was in Hawaii. Dealing with GAS is hard, but I can manage.

Well, I didn't need a K brand, but I got one! A used Kamaka tenor, with a pickup even, and the original case. Beautiful, glossy, and full of good tone, all for $850! Thanks to leokiekie and the UU marketplace. Good deal!!

I also picked up a Breedlove tenor along the way for $500. A different sound from the Kamaka, and a beauty, too.

Thanks for the help, all!!

Well, I didn't need a K brand, but I got one! A used Kamaka tenor, with a pickup even, and the original case. Beautiful, glossy, and full of good tone, all for $850! Thanks to leokiekie and the UU marketplace. Good deal!!

I also picked up a Breedlove tenor along the way for $500. A different sound from the Kamaka, and a beauty, too.

Thanks for the help, all!!

Glad you like the Kamaka. I really liked it but it wasn't getting played. Enjoy!

Top Bottom