A chord a day

Venneman

Reaction score
So, I have decided to challenge myself daily by learning and mastering a new chord every day. I can hit seven or eight without checking a cheat sheet, but my goal is to learn more! So, with a sharpie I made a fret board on a dry erase board. Every day, I will write down a chord and finger placements. Even if I do one every other day, it should be a good challenge. Plus, I want to rehearse the chords I know, probably by trying songs and such. Anybody do anything similar?

I wasn't all that disciplined when I started, but that's not why I'm responding...

Your signature is awesome!

Last edited:
Uncle Rod’s Ukulele bootcamp has lots of good stuff

http://files.meetup.com/2287271/ukul...rev[2].pdf

Might save you some trouble. But the actual act of researching and diagramming yourself helps imprint that particular chord in your head. And fingers.

Welcome to UU. I learn better by learning song chords.

I'm with Connor about your signature. I just wish your name was Vennewoman.

Thanks, I'll check that out later. I have a cheat-sheet of chords I will reference, along with an iPhone app or two (or five...).

Don't overlook the concept of moveable chords. Learn just one and you've learned how to name a dozen or so.

i did something like that. when i went to guitar center for the free lessons, they handed out a paper with the most used chords (8 or 10). i learned those and put a few to song but my voice sounds like a fingernail on a chalkboard, so i'm sticking with instrumentals. i got the book 'ukulele for dummies', it's pretty good.

That's a really good idea! Think I might have to try that. Even if you just do it for 2-3 weeks that would be good. When I first started my I challenged myself by trying to learn a song a month. I kept it up for about 10 or 11 months until I started writing/arranging my own stuff which took a bit longer each song

not sure how you're selecting the chords to learn, but think about this:

A Chord Chart, esp a 'complete' one, is like a Dictionary. Just because the chord is there doesn't necessarily mean it is a useful chord to learn... at this time.

Perhaps, like vocab tests in school, it may be more useful to learn the chords you're more likely to be using in various songs in the most popular keys. And not to be obnoxiously self-promoting, if you haven't already, please feel free to use my suggestions of chords to learn in the Practice Sheets of the Ukulele Boot Camp :)

keep uke'in',

Love Uncle Rod's chord exercises. Many on UU have started with them. Here's a second to the idea of learning the most useful chords first.

And here's a third to Uncle Rod's boot camp.
h

And a fourth for Uncle Rod :)

I found that his boot camp helped me put a bunch of chords 'under my fingers' and into muscle memory fairly quickly, so I could play a good variety of songs and augment with new chords as each song requires them.
I also find that every song seems to have that one chord stuck somewhere in the middle that makes you go "Aaaarg!!". Usually a barre chord too ;p

Last edited:
not sure how you're selecting the chords to learn, but think about this:

A Chord Chart, esp a 'complete' one, is like a Dictionary. Just because the chord is there doesn't necessarily mean it is a useful chord to learn... at this time.

Perhaps, like vocab tests in school, it may be more useful to learn the chords you're more likely to be using in various songs in the most popular keys. And not to be obnoxiously self-promoting, if you haven't already, please feel free to use my suggestions of chords to learn in the Practice Sheets of the Ukulele Boot Camp :)

keep uke'in',

So, Uncle Rod... how do you download these files? I don't want a MediaFire account. What am I missing?

ukemunga,

I'm using MediFire because I had difficulty with DropBox and 4shared - esp 4shared.

I have a somewhat parallel situation with DropBox now, so I may try DropBox again,
as it seems to be more popular than MediaFire. Do you concur?

Yeah, it seems that one has to have a MediaFire account in order to get the files. Sorry.

I think I'll start and thread and get input from the UU Ohana re: MediaFire vs DropBox :)

Thanks for your input.

keep uke'in',

ukemunga,

I'm using MediFire because I had difficulty with DropBox and 4shared - esp 4shared.

I have a somewhat parallel situation with DropBox now, so I may try DropBox again,
as it seems to be more popular than MediaFire. Do you concur?

Yeah, it seems that one has to have a MediaFire account in order to get the files. Sorry.

I think I'll start and thread and get input from the UU Ohana re: MediaFire vs DropBox :)

Thanks for your input.

keep uke'in',

Why not just make a simple, free web site?

http://www.weebly.com/

It could be: www.UkuleleBootCamp.weebly.com

I'd be happy to help you if you need it.

Fred

Thanks Fred and Hms,

the older 2012 'edition' is just 'older' (un-revised, un-expanded, and un-updated :) )

the 2013, 3-part UBC is a bit larger, but only in the sense that I've added 2 other separate
files to the UBC folder. One can still use the UBC on its own. I just thought I'd put the
3 files together/nearer each other for convenience :)

Fred, tell me more about weebly.com - it looks interesting... and FREE! Seems to simplify
everything, huh?

Thanks again,

keep uke'in',

Aloha Veneman,
I feel learning new chord positions is better done by learning new songs when you start, not learning a chord a day...many you will never use much....by learning new songs
with new chords it is way more efficient.....I guess my metaphor would be, If I wanted to learn english, I wouldn't learn a word a day or open a dictionary...I'd learn new sayings
or sentences first....

Last edited:
Top Bottom