PDA

View Full Version : A chord a day

Venneman
08-06-2013, 04:32 PM
So, I have decided to challenge myself daily by learning and mastering a new chord every day. I can hit seven or eight without checking a cheat sheet, but my goal is to learn more! So, with a sharpie I made a fret board on a dry erase board. Every day, I will write down a chord and finger placements. Even if I do one every other day, it should be a good challenge. Plus, I want to rehearse the chords I know, probably by trying songs and such. Anybody do anything similar?

connor013
08-06-2013, 04:34 PM
I wasn't all that disciplined when I started, but that's not why I'm responding...

Your signature is awesome!

ukemunga
08-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Uncle Rod’s Ukulele bootcamp has lots of good stuff

http://files.meetup.com/2287271/ukul...rev%5B2%5D.pdf

Might save you some trouble. But the actual act of researching and diagramming yourself helps imprint that particular chord in your head. And fingers.

coolkayaker1
08-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Welcome to UU. I learn better by learning song chords.

I'm with Connor about your signature. I just wish your name was Vennewoman.

Venneman
08-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks, I'll check that out later. I have a cheat-sheet of chords I will reference, along with an iPhone app or two (or five...).

Venneman
08-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Sorry, but I don't think you're looking for a massage...

Bill Mc
08-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Don't overlook the concept of moveable chords. Learn just one and you've learned how to name a dozen or so.

Radio Flyer
08-06-2013, 06:56 PM
i did something like that. when i went to guitar center for the free lessons, they handed out a paper with the most used chords (8 or 10). i learned those and put a few to song but my voice sounds like a fingernail on a chalkboard, so i'm sticking with instrumentals. i got the book 'ukulele for dummies', it's pretty good.

BIGDB
08-06-2013, 10:11 PM
That's a really good idea! Think I might have to try that. Even if you just do it for 2-3 weeks that would be good. When I first started my I challenged myself by trying to learn a song a month. I kept it up for about 10 or 11 months until I started writing/arranging my own stuff which took a bit longer each song

Uncle Rod Higuchi
08-07-2013, 02:11 AM
not sure how you're selecting the chords to learn, but think about this:

A Chord Chart, esp a 'complete' one, is like a Dictionary. Just because the chord is there doesn't necessarily mean it is a useful chord to learn... at this time.

Perhaps, like vocab tests in school, it may be more useful to learn the chords you're more likely to be using in various songs in the most popular keys. And not to be obnoxiously self-promoting, if you haven't already, please feel free to use my suggestions of chords to learn in the Practice Sheets of the Ukulele Boot Camp :)

keep uke'in',

PhilUSAFRet
08-07-2013, 02:21 AM
Love Uncle Rod's chord exercises. Many on UU have started with them. Here's a second to the idea of learning the most useful chords first.

Hms
08-07-2013, 04:21 AM
And here's a third to Uncle Rod's boot camp.
h

HendrikM
08-07-2013, 04:59 AM
And a fourth for Uncle Rod :)

I found that his boot camp helped me put a bunch of chords 'under my fingers' and into muscle memory fairly quickly, so I could play a good variety of songs and augment with new chords as each song requires them.
I also find that every song seems to have that one chord stuck somewhere in the middle that makes you go "Aaaarg!!". Usually a barre chord too ;p

ukemunga
08-07-2013, 05:13 AM
not sure how you're selecting the chords to learn, but think about this:

A Chord Chart, esp a 'complete' one, is like a Dictionary. Just because the chord is there doesn't necessarily mean it is a useful chord to learn... at this time.

Perhaps, like vocab tests in school, it may be more useful to learn the chords you're more likely to be using in various songs in the most popular keys. And not to be obnoxiously self-promoting, if you haven't already, please feel free to use my suggestions of chords to learn in the Practice Sheets of the Ukulele Boot Camp :)

keep uke'in',

So, Uncle Rod... how do you download these files? I don't want a MediaFire account. What am I missing?

Uncle Rod Higuchi
08-07-2013, 07:48 AM
ukemunga,

I'm using MediFire because I had difficulty with DropBox and 4shared - esp 4shared.

I have a somewhat parallel situation with DropBox now, so I may try DropBox again,
as it seems to be more popular than MediaFire. Do you concur?

Yeah, it seems that one has to have a MediaFire account in order to get the files. Sorry.

I think I'll start and thread and get input from the UU Ohana re: MediaFire vs DropBox :)

Thanks for your input.

keep uke'in',

ukemunga
08-07-2013, 08:11 AM
ukemunga,

I'm using MediFire because I had difficulty with DropBox and 4shared - esp 4shared.

I have a somewhat parallel situation with DropBox now, so I may try DropBox again,
as it seems to be more popular than MediaFire. Do you concur?

Yeah, it seems that one has to have a MediaFire account in order to get the files. Sorry.

I think I'll start and thread and get input from the UU Ohana re: MediaFire vs DropBox :)

Thanks for your input.

keep uke'in',

Why not just make a simple, free web site?

http://www.weebly.com/

It could be: www.UkuleleBootCamp.weebly.com

I'd be happy to help you if you need it.

Fred

Hms
08-07-2013, 08:19 AM
This site is also hosting copies od the 2012 Boot Camp.
I don't know the differences with the 2013 Boot Camp.
http://ukulele4kids.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/u4k-uncle-rods-ukulele-boot-camp-rev2011.pdf
hth
H

Uncle Rod Higuchi
08-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks Fred and Hms,

the older 2012 'edition' is just 'older' (un-revised, un-expanded, and un-updated :) )

the 2013, 3-part UBC is a bit larger, but only in the sense that I've added 2 other separate
files to the UBC folder. One can still use the UBC on its own. I just thought I'd put the
3 files together/nearer each other for convenience :)

Fred, tell me more about weebly.com - it looks interesting... and FREE! Seems to simplify
everything, huh?

Thanks again,

keep uke'in',

Ukeplayer2013
08-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Just downloaded them. ;)

mm stan
08-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Aloha Veneman,
I feel learning new chord positions is better done by learning new songs when you start, not learning a chord a day...many you will never use much....by learning new songs
with new chords it is way more efficient.....I guess my metaphor would be, If I wanted to learn english, I wouldn't learn a word a day or open a dictionary...I'd learn new sayings
or sentences first....

HendrikM
08-07-2013, 10:45 AM
ukemunga,

FYI - I don't have an account and I was still able to get them. It bounces you to an ad filled download page, but a download button is there and worked for me.

Hendrik

Venneman
08-07-2013, 11:40 AM
So many responses I feel compelled to make... First off, I downloaded the Ukulele Boot Camp file, and it looks great! As for which chords I am focusing on, I have chord sheets for songs I know I want to learn, and I'm picking them out one by one to focus on. So I guess I'm splitting the uprights for the poster who suggested I try to learn songs. I'm picking the songs, learning the chords that make them up, and then I'll come back and try the songs. Gotta crawl before I can run, but I have to learn to walk, too. And, knowing how I am, if I get frustrated with something (an easy thing to happen), I will stop. I'd rather not do that.

Should also mention that my youngest son now wants to learn ukulele, so that's a big plus for continuing!

Nickie
08-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Ha, I only wish I was that comitted....

Ukejenny
08-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Venneman, your plan sounds like a good one. Which songs have you come back to so far?

I've had Weebly pages and they were a great help to me. Very user friendly and quite customizable without being scary with code. I didn't share files but I bet it would be easy.

Uncle Rod, bless you dear man! I love the boot camp and will be saving/printing it for my son who is scared to death of the mighty G chord.

My first chords were learned on a weekend when the weather sucked and I had sinus crud, so I literally sat around all weekend and noodled on the ukulele, a blue Mahalo belonging to my son. I got the first few basic chords down and then started looking for songs...and a different ukulele.

Venneman
08-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Venneman, your plan sounds like a good one. Which songs have you come back to so far?

Actually, a friend of mine wants me to learn a song from Mishka, and I love "Tonight You Belong To Me," you know, from the movie "The Jerk"? It may lack something without someone on trumpet, but it's still a great song. There are others, but they escape me. Today's note was Gb, but I really need to work on that damned Bb chord. I thought I had it down, but then I tried to switch to a different chord and I think I violated the laws of time and space with how I was trying to rearrange my fingers. Problem is, they are kinda stubby & short, so it's really hard to get that note to ring out nice and clean. Le sigh...

ukemunga
08-08-2013, 02:32 AM
Problem is, they are kinda stubby & short, so it's really hard to get that note to ring out nice and clean. Le sigh...

Re: Bb, me too, I just barre the E and A string instead of trying to do the entire first fret. Much easier for me.

Venneman
08-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Re: Bb, me too, I just barre the E and A string instead of trying to do the entire first fret. Much easier for me.

My big challenge is the G & C string, my fingers cannot hold down those strings without muting the others. I might try barring all four strings with my index finger rather than trying to just hit the E & A.

ukemunga
08-08-2013, 08:52 AM
My big challenge is the G & C string, my fingers cannot hold down those strings without muting the others. I might try barring all four strings with my index finger rather than trying to just hit the E & A.

Well, I'm sure everybody here agrees... whatever works is good. Not necessarily any right or wrong way to do it. The only thing to keep in mind as you progress is to find the easiest way to do it based on what chord you're coming from and what chord you're going to.

Ukejenny
08-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Ahhh, the Jerk, "I'm picking out a thermos...for you. Not an ordinary thermos...for you..." Love it! Tonight You Belong to Me is a great song. Bernadette Peters' fake playing was so much better than Steve Martin's fake playing in that scene.

Keep practicing and you will notice your fingers will start doing things you never thought they could do. Keep going at those chords and they will start to ring and clear up. May take a few weeks, but it will happen. Muscle memory (micro muscle memory) takes time.

imagesinthewind
08-09-2013, 04:17 AM
hey!
I'm in Denver-ish, too.
i also saw your CL ad for the uku/massage trade. made me wonder what valuable skill i have to trade. i do think I'm going to take 10-15 lessons at Swallow Hill, though.

My daughter and I both play and my son played his whole 6tth grade year, though he's a lefty and the music teach only plays right. I am going to pick up one of those 'too good to be true' Lanikai concerts for him. Even if he never plays it, there are 5 other people in my house who may.

So, I'm in Littleton, Kipling and Belleview area, if you ever want to hang out and strum.
And I'm going to steal your white board idea. The cheapies at the dollar store would be perfect for this idea. Get 5 and sharpie the chart. Then line them up in a row with the chords for your song and use them as giant sheet mucis for you and your daughter. Both seeing them, no squnting at the sheet music laying on the floor.

PM or email, roshambo @ mho.com.

UU, great for networking

Venneman
08-09-2013, 08:05 AM
I live literally three blocks from Swallow Hill, in Englewood! I won't be able to make the group on the 17th, but definitely in September!

Blackwingy
08-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Ahhh, the Jerk, "I'm picking out a thermos...for you. Not an ordinary thermos...for you..." Love it! Tonight You Belong to Me is a great song. Bernadette Peters' fake playing was so much better than Steve Martin's fake playing in that scene.

Really? I've read that somewhere else too, about Steve's uke playing in that scene. Weird because he was and is an expert banjo player so he should certainly have known how to do it! Maybe he was in character? :o

Venneman
08-09-2013, 08:10 AM
I think the whole scene was an overdub job, went in later to get clean vocal and music track, so they probably just handed it to him and said, play something. Maybe he didn't know the tune, so he just strummed along. I would be interested to know whether he did play the uke for the overdub on that scene.